Discuss House Rewire Question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,

This is not me doing this, I have a question thats all.

Full rewire, three bed semi, large rooms.

What are your thoughts on putting just one double in each room, and when i say each room, i mean one double in each bedroom, one in dining room and one in lounge etc...

Personally I think its a joke and doesn't go anywhere towards complying with building regs or making any effort towards ease of use and reach of cables etc..

Hypothetically, the house is as it is at the moment, you rewire it and, well lets just say its exactly as it was, same number and position of sockets etc, one per room, didn't actually need a rewire...

Would you say whats the point in rewiring it if you are not actually going to be making it any better in that sense?

Seems sodding ridiculous does it not?

what was the reason for a rewire? If it was to update an old / damaged cables, upgrade bonding and cu then probably made sense. Take it there was no spec / written quote or agreement saying exactly what was to be done? There is a section in the on site giving guidance on reccomended number of outlets per room as a guide. Was he asked to do it as cheap as possible? I hear that a lot

Not my position to be changing things unfortunately, just when you are subbing to someone and Ypur name is on your van and clothes and you are doing what I think is wrong, makes me not want to be part of it.

Try table/section H7 OSG p.178 which references reg 553.1.7 for minimum requirements for appliances and mobile equipment.

I agree ridiculous to have only one double socket in each room. The occupants will have long trailing extensions and multi adapters to meet there needs. Ie tv in one corner xmas tree in the other. Overloading waiting to happen! and the cost of a few more sockets wont be much more than the minimalistic rewire you describe.
I can remember the one plug per room days we had a tv a radio a hoover an iron and a hairdrier that took 20 mins to dry your hair. It wernt good and we had only a few electrical items then.

If it is strictly a rewire then that is what you do, replace the wires of the existing installation, usually carried out due to the old cable being knackered (TRS/Lead twin etc) but very uncommon these days.

Try table/section H7 OSG p.178 which references reg 553.1.7 for minimum requirements for appliances and mobile equipment.

Thanks, I am more than familiar with these requirements / guidance.

Its just a bit like this, I turn up today, rip out all the power as instructed by the person I'm doing the work for who was meant to be there, anyway, bloke who owns the house comes in later on, hello etc, you know, a bit of a chat.

It turns out that he was living in it and wants to stay in it whilst the work is done, so I said, oh, oh oh I see, well that's not what I thought, I was only asks to bring tools, that's it.

Anyway, 4pm comes, gets very dark etc.

Theres only no lights, no power etc, no provisions had been made as was not aware of it.

Owner had no lights etc, nothing, if the person who had arranged all of this and who I was subbing to had bothered to discuss the job properly with the client and myself this would not have happened.

I just feel like I have been made to look stupid. I did manage to get a light and a socket going but not ideal at all.

I was not aware that they wanted to live in it. Nothing was said.

If I had known I would have planned for it and took lights with me.

If it is strictly a rewire then that is what you do, replace the wires of the existing installation, usually carried out due to the old cable being knackered (TRS/Lead twin etc) but very uncommon these days.

To be honest, it all looked pretty good to be, late 80's probably, all seemed it ather good order, no reason o be ripping it out, especially to just replace it with the same and no additional sockets, makes you wonder for what benefit.

I said to the owner, why did you want it rewiring, he said I was told it needed it.... I said oh, he then said, oh, doesn't it need doing?

I stood in silence.

Imho it needed a new cu and a few new ae plates and nothing more, maybe the odd additional socket.

Thanks, I am more than familiar with these requirements / guidance.

Its just a bit like this, I turn up today, rip out all the power as instructed by the person I'm doing the work for who was meant to be there, anyway, bloke who owns the house comes in later on, hello etc, you know, a bit of a chat.

It turns out that he was living in it and wants to stay in it whilst the work is done, so I said, oh, oh oh I see, well that's not what I thought, I was only asks to bring tools, that's it.

Anyway, 4pm comes, gets very dark etc.

Theres only no lights, no power etc, no provisions had been made as was not aware of it.

Owner had no lights etc, nothing, if the person who had arranged all of this and who I was subbing to had bothered to discuss the job properly with the client and myself this would not have happened.

I just feel like I have been made to look stupid. I did manage to get a light and a socket going but not ideal at all.

I was not aware that they wanted to live in it. Nothing was said.

If I had known I would have planned for it and took lights with me.

Sounds like a bit of a balls up to say the least... not on your part but on the part of the guy you are subbing to. One socket per room might be the way to go as it sounds like you need to get things up and running pretty soon ...... lol.

The best bit is, the kitchen that was all nicely done, is still nicely done, but not me, but th other lad is now running all he power cales in for the kitchen plugs round the outside of the house in capping to get it back in to the sockets as its a new extension and it's going to look crap.

It was better before he started.

The joke of it is, the client actually rang me a week ago and I said I was too busy, he then rang this bloke who range me and said did I want to give a couple of days help one a Eire, and it turns out to be the same property.

So if he had gone with me, paid the same, hen he would have got a much better job, yet I am doing part of it and now it's crap.

Well that's certainly not the way I was taught to carry out an occupied rewire!

I was taught to only switch off that which you can get back on again the same day. You work your way logically through the house keeping everything working and making carefully planned temporary connections to keep the remaining parts of the old installation live along with the new stuff.

That’s a bit of a tenuous reason to try to insist on more sockets. Especially if the customer has specified their requitements.

True, but it is guidance to be used and referenced. I would never insist on the spec of an install unless it flagrantly breaches regs and safety, but I always like to talk a job through with a client though and suggest the most useful install for current and future use.
If I had a callout fee for every time I have heard "Oh yeah I hadn't thought of that. Good idea, include for that as well then" ..I'd have a lot better tan than I do now.

I don't do lived in rewires, first thing he text me when I got there was to get rid of all old cables...

I presumed he was going to turn up and say what the plan was as he said, but nothing, and now I hear he is busy tomorrow, oh and so was his apprentice who he left with me today, and now he is dropping another lad off in the morning for me. Great.

Oh and he is on the NICEIC DI scheme, yet all his clothes and apprentices clothes ate branded as AC... Yet I hve checked and he is only a DI.

Reply to House Rewire Question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock