Discuss House Rewire Question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

True, but it is guidance to be used and referenced. I would never insist on the spec of an install unless it flagrantly breaches regs and safety, but I always like to talk a job through with a client though and suggest the most useful install for current and future use.
If I had a callout fee for every time I have heard "Oh yeah I hadn't thought of that. Good idea, include for that as well then" ..I'd have a lot better tan than I do now.

Thats it, I always spend time going through it and explain to them various things and 99% of the time they are happy with my suggestions.

I personally think its cowboy work entertaining one socket per room, I'd rather walk away.

I personally think its cowboy work entertaining one socket per room, I'd rather walk away.

One day you will find yourself in a position where you have to choose between doing such a terrible thing and not being able to afford to keep a roof over your head or put food on the table, then you'll wish you hadn't walked away from a simple point for point rewire.

That's my problem, I'm too ethically correct and have a conscience, I'd rather go homeless.

And on that note, the iPad goes down and I go to sleep.

Night

What is unethical about a point for point rewire?

If the installation needs to be rewired due to the cable being beyond its usable lifespan and the installation serves the needs of the owners perfectly well then I see no argument to be made.

If the installation does not need rewireing but they do want extra points then just modify the installation as required unless you are getting to the point where you end up with more modifications than original wiring.

The specified minimum number outlets for each room for domestic installations should be ALWAYS adhered too, they are there for good reason. it doesn't matter a jot if there was only one outlet to each room on existing installation. The last thing you want is triple adaptors each with triple gang or more extension leads trailing across rooms...

Reply to House Rewire Question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net