Discuss How do i wire an outlet off of this switch? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

tomtomtom

DIY
Reaction score
First post to this forum so bear with me.
So i am hoping to put an outlet in a spare closet so I can plug in various items and have them out of the way...
Ive watched a few videos and none of them have so many wires coming into the box.. This box has three and three black wires to the switch.. two quick connected and one using one of the only two screws that are on the side both of which are gold. ..This kind of threw me off..
So I am just looking for advice on how I would go about wiring a standard power outlet directly below this light switch that is inside a walk in closet. Or if its even plausible
Any advice would be great.
Thanks

Attachments

• How do i wire an outlet off of this switch? 20210615_112639_HDR - Copy - EletriciansForums.net
    20210615_112639_HDR - Copy.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 13
  • How do i wire an outlet off of this switch? 20210615_112713_HDR - Copy - EletriciansForums.net
    20210615_112713_HDR - Copy.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 10
  • How do i wire an outlet off of this switch? 20210615_114411 - Copy - EletriciansForums.net
    20210615_114411 - Copy.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 9
The two blacks are almost certainly the permanent hot, hot in hot out. So your hot needs connecting to those, neutral into the whites and ground to the bare wires. As opposed to trying to fit another hot to the two blacks I would connect them to a wire nut just leaving the one black to the switch. So your two blacks, the black to the receptacle and another black reinstated to the switch. Might be easier to fit a combined switch with receptacle. Is the circuit GFCI protected bit out of my knowledge whether it needs it @Megawatt will confirm.

the one connected to the screw is also black, it just has paint on it.. i scratched it off to confirm.. Pretty confusing. So I need to potentially disconnect one of the blacks from the quick connect (unsure how to do so) and connect it to the black from the outlet I want to add below this switch? I would like the power at the outlet to be on all the time regardless of switch position.

From your first picture in #3 disconnect the lower black by pushing a small screwdriver into the slot by the wire this should allow removal, ensure power is off. Make safe and see if the light it switched on no longer switches on.

First post to this forum so bear with me.
So i am hoping to put an outlet in a spare closet so I can plug in various items and have them out of the way...
Ive watched a few videos and none of them have so many wires coming into the box.. This box has three and three black wires to the switch.. two quick connected and one using one of the only two screws that are on the side both of which are gold. ..This kind of threw me off..
So I am just looking for advice on how I would go about wiring a standard power outlet directly below this light switch that is inside a walk in closet. Or if its even plausible
Any advice would be great.
Thanks
Yes you can use the wires you have. First the black wire by itself on the switch is the hot the 2 wires on the bottom obviously turns on some lights. They make a receptacle/ switch that you could use and still have your switch plus a single receptacle.

Yes you can use the wires you have. First the black wire by itself on the switch is the hot the 2 wires on the bottom obviously turns on some lights. They make a receptacle/ switch that you could use and still have your switch plus a single receptacle.
Can I wire a standard outlet below this switch? I wanted to put a box in the wall below this.
Thanks for the info... holding off until Im sure about how to go about it. But it seems like Im getting conflicting opinions?

Can I wire a standard outlet below this switch? I wanted to put a box in the wall below this.
Thanks for the info... holding off until Im sure about how to go about it. But it seems like Im getting conflicting opinions?
Yes you can add a duplex receptacle. The whites are your neutrals and you will have to take the hot wire loose on the switch and with a wire nut and tie the hot black with 2 black wires to feed your switch and receptacle. All the white wires under that wire nut are your neutrals and remember the other white is you switch leg

From your first picture in #3 disconnect the lower black by pushing a small screwdriver into the slot by the wire this should allow removal, ensure power is off. Make safe and see if the light it switched on no longer switches on.
So if the wire you suspect, is the permanent hot, what does that establish?

I think you need to seek the services of an electrician. Whilst the forum is happy to help the DIY member it is clear for your own safety you seek third party help.

I think you need to seek the services of an electrician. Whilst the forum is happy to help the DIY member it is clear for your own safety you seek third party help.
So this forum is for people that already know how to to electrical work. Seems pointless then, to have a DIY section in my opinion. Thanks for the clarification. I guess Ill figure it out on my own. Have a good one.

So this forum is for people that already know how to to electrical work. Seems pointless then, to have a DIY section in my opinion. Thanks for the clarification. I guess Ill figure it out on my own. Have a good one.

Advice is often given, but it's about knowing when people are out of there depth and may need on site assistance. It's not always possible to give safe advice via a forum.

How do i wire an outlet off of this switch? 20210615_112713_HDR - Copy - EletriciansForums.net
I tested this outlet with a multimeter. why are there two hots going into the switch? Any idea?

Advice is often given, but it's about knowing when people are out of there depth and may need on site assistance. It's not always possible to give safe advice via a forum.
Im not necessarily out of my depth, I just like to have a good understanding on a topic before getting into a project, especially with electrical work which can be dangerous. Appreciate the concern though. Everyone is being pretty helpful, and I understand electrical work is one of those things where you kinda have to be there and with limited info can be dangerous to give advice. Considering just replacing the switch with a receptacle/switch combo instead... How would I wire that? :)

removed the wire from the screw and the kitchen light ---- off, so I reconnected it and turned off the kitchen light switch and tested the wire again and it was still 120.. not sure if that determines anything... pretty sure the wire on the left side is going to the ceiling fixture in the closet to power the light bulbsHow do i wire an outlet off of this switch? 20210615_112HDR - Copy - EletriciansForums.net

Both those blacks are probably hot, hot in and hot out. One is on the screw the other the stab terminal if this is the case see #4.

Both those blacks are probably hot, hot in and hot out. One is on the screw the other the stab terminal if this is the case see #4.
if i go witha combo switch / receptacle instead I would like to wire it so that the receptacle is always on. what would i need to do differently if that is to work?
Thanks for the reply btw. ap[appreciate it

Reply to How do i wire an outlet off of this switch? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock