Discuss How do you afford to get started in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

Boing

This may be a dumb question but other than maxin' out the credit card, overdraft and any possible loan, how did you chaps get started. I mean so far I have a list of £--- for meters and kit, --- for registration, insurance, and Lord knows what else. Thankfully I have a lot of tools anyhow but ya looking at a couple of K min just get off the ground, no?
:confused:

Boing

so far me and my mate are in the process of starting up..................

a van 4 grand plus a grand for insurance.

napit £605

insurance £303.

tools a maybe depends if i remember to give works back when i leave.

hi boing,
its not easy without a sensable amount of capital,but depending on your experiance ,confidence etc it is still possable ,forget income tax ,insurance ,accredidation etc and set up a company which is a clone of a reputable one ,copy everything they do ,get magnetic signs for a van and print up a flyer with a different phone number,do this in various areas and hit a different town after a few jobs,dont test anything or leave a paper trail,work for cash only if possable
dont get gready,go legit asap,
all the very best with your new enterprise
rumrunner

hi boing,
its not easy without a sensable amount of capital,but depending on your experiance ,confidence etc it is still possable ,forget income tax ,insurance ,accredidation etc and set up a company which is a clone of a reputable one ,copy everything they do ,get magnetic signs for a van and print up a flyer with a different phone number,do this in various areas and hit a different town after a few jobs,dont test anything or leave a paper trail,work for cash only if possable
dont get gready,go legit asap,
all the very best with your new enterprise
rumrunner

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

freakin loon RR!:D
It doesn't need to cost megabucks. I am looking to do it this summer and Napit is around £600, I have all the tools, a cheap van / estate car and insurance at around £100.

i thought the general start up plan was ;use company van to do jobs on side,(in works time) use company material and equipment .tell the client that this company is going under but you can do his work instead .stock up a shed with mis appropriated company gear .not that i condone this way!!!!!! rum runners way sounds more fun

Yeah that used to be the way they did it Wayne,the saying was when you have got so much private work you dont have time for your day job,then start

I am looking to tell my company I will reduce my working week with them and drop from 5 days a week to 3. The 3 days I work for them will give me a full weeks wages on price and then takes the pressure off me a little while I get work done for myself in the other 2/3 days left in the week and build it from there.

Good idea ,i just hope your boss isnt an arragant Englishman,anyway the cheapest way of starting an electrical business is to buy a box of drawing pins.
atvbitwww

freakin loon RR!:D
It doesn't need to cost megabucks. I am looking to do it this summer and Napit is around £600, I have all the tools, a cheap van / estate car and insurance at around £100.

i needed 3 lots of insurance....... public liability, privet indemity insurance and employers insurance and it all came to £315

Clarke Roxburgh

you get a discount if you are with napit.

Cheers all for the replies chaps. I think the 'going 3 days with the current employer' sounds like a good option for me. Great reading the replies - you lot should be on stage:D
Think I'll keep an eye on these forums, the humour is better than what I get daily at work :)

I also like the napit scheme entries I've been reading elsewhere here. I contacted the NICEIC a while back when I was first considering going alone but they just came across as 'we are it', 'this is how it's going to be' oh and they never get back to my e-mails. I contacted napit and they couldn't be more helpful. Anyhow, that's another story. Right...time to work out the pennies and see where we go from here.

cheers all.

Boing

Cheers all for the replies chaps. I think the 'going 3 days with the current employer' sounds like a good option for me. Great reading the replies - you lot should be on stage:D
Think I'll keep an eye on these forums, the humour is better than what I get daily at work :)

I also like the napit scheme entries I've been reading elsewhere here. I contacted the NICEIC a while back when I was first considering going alone but they just came across as 'we are it', 'this is how it's going to be' oh and they never get back to my e-mails. I contacted napit and they couldn't be more helpful. Anyhow, that's another story. Right...time to work out the pennies and see where we go from here.

cheers all.

Boing

yep boing had the exactly the same experiance with nic and napit and im currently getting everthing together for napit at the moment.

YEah its not really very electrical, but get the drawing pins ,and print up a business card ,saying your from a satalite tv company ,or something like that ,if youve got kids teach them how to put the pin in a bit of coax so it shorts out the downlead from the arial,
thats the electrical bit done ,then send the kids out ,family business this ,short a load of downleads ,any will do cable ,satalite and analogue ,
then knock on the door tell the punter theres an been an over attenuation problem in the area and the recever has to be reset ,unplug the t,v go out side to do a test,pull out the pin ,job done
oh yeah best say you charge a set fee,say a tenner ,if they dont want to pay it and call someone else ,thats tough
atvbitwww

Reply to How do you afford to get started in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock