Discuss How does a breaker get tripped then turn itself back on at random? in the USA area at ElectriciansForums.net

JessicaC

DIY
Reaction score
My home electric is very strange. No matter what time of day or night, perfect weather or stormy, my lights flicker through the house eventually resulting in the power in the whole house being shut off. Occasionally it will come right back on, but I've gone as long as 2+ before it will turn itself back on. The panel is in the basement, and I have gone and checked it out once (I'm terrified of basements where the entrance is a door in the floor) and there were no issues such as anything looking or smelling burnt, no moisture, wires appeared to be secure and undamaged. I rent the home, and have mentioned this to my landlord, whose response was "huh" I just had it worked on a couple years ago, that's weird". I'm a single mother, and need help with insuring the safety of my daughter. Thank you

Never heard of a breaker turning itself back on before?
Some of these solar pir lights with a panel on them will stop you plunging into total darkness during storms. They're around 15 quid to buy in the uk but cheaper on Ebay. The panel is 6 inches square and can be mounted 6 metres away from the light. It could even sit in a window, they are very bright btw. This will stop you plunging into total darkness and requires no electricity to run as fully solar powered.

Surely your landlord has a sense of responsibility here regarding your electrics?

Never heard of a breaker turning itself back on before?
Some of these solar pir lights with a panel on them will stop you plunging into total darkness during storms. They're around 15 quid to buy in the uk but cheaper on Ebay. The panel is 6 inches square and can be mounted 6 metres away from the light. It could even sit in a window, they are very bright btw. This will stop you plunging into total darkness and requires no electricity to run as fully solar powered.

Surely your landlord has a sense of responsibility here regarding your electrics?
One would think he would be responsible, but obligation is not his strong point. I didnt think it could turn back on either...but have no experience with anything like this beyond flipping the breaker back on. I forgot to mention before that the electricity being used at the times this happens, is inconsistent. One time it will be a couple lights on and nothing else going, yet I have only had it go out once when the washer was running...its all very ...unpredictable, which makes very concerned.

Just wondering,
does anybody else's electrics around you do the same?

These are the solar lights by the way, they will brighten up the cellar or house in emergency situations (remember the panel part needs daylight to charge the internal battery through the day). You can either set it to pir (where it will detect movement, ie for down the cellar) or just use the switch to turn it off and on. I could only find it on uk ebay, but you should find American sellers of the same thing 60LED SOLAR FLOODLIGHT WITH PIR MOTION SENSOR OUTDOOR GARDEN SECURITY LIGHT 5054667360712 | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/60LED-SOLAR-FLOODLIGHT-WITH-PIR-MOTION-SENSOR-OUTDOOR-GARDEN-SECURITY-LIGHT/163770752477?epid=26034600540&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item26217f5ddd:g:BWMAAOSw6rhdJMse&enc=AQAEAAACQBPxNw%2BVj6nta7CKEs3N0qXpSTBbTxMr2jjPJGHWc%2BfCPEVt686E8yR8JbGqb1%2BUnquxbG%2BcF6OBBlcrX%2Ffslz8eGeUvvBkhVqbh8tDp3Hk1DmDgfzLyEgvsLA44OfrNymioflGwVwB2KIDg%2FsHySAkfC%2BsfS%2F6%2FvI568O0t2KOA4BiaqV7zUih3CfxgiEmKNUDEaYCjGyuyBHjoJUJ4WgFKQwG5UXJtcLRlCIkZyS5m%2BYJAwV3nJ4XiMYF8fHl9uEvDCCA86k1PvgQtffiXfSm%2BxIfYYIaTE1Ug8IBPKRwtfssKd5qpyvrGroI05yAuc24cEoRAQOkA8yEBRYjmKZtQYyQqW%2B3gusAMaYrDQEvkQ%2FrNbXyQIqgpghNpBV7ON0wtEArGqeC3QPPJOUEUCqV%2BggzfhCA4ffnx53Ils7H4nNbhk%2B0TgSbMp%2F7RkjVw4EP8NRTk1XmUIMH63jAjsaungt4%2B%2FmzCIKo%2BXVtG9DNJADd29muG3Z34GMoiiMf2GXHPhGKbbedOsf0%2Fq3exogK9Ojinkx9f1365ScrqlsT0B8ACqA7%2FlfsGB8cWV%2FAGaOADkvKXHGTPeBIy6FvbXoWR1tJwkfsn2TrMKbNcyu68xHKJ6nnzAmsWkq4GuxkSHpHveGzMlb8kYCAi8L%2Bd72z1ARkjgru%2B8lCPhEgknb7sz0Rz4YK2JzdUaNKw0yyNjh8XI%2BUxW4%2BYLrnXma3Rabk0eeY1Y1qdgdj5Mw4d%2Bls60LxVUVDBcrn2H3GMobiOGw%3D%3D&checksum=163770752477026f365b578541e1a5e479184caacbcd

Just wondering,

These are the solar lights by the way, they will brighten up the cellar or house in emergency situations (remember the panel part needs daylight to charge the internal battery through the day). You can either set it to pir (where it will detect movement, ie for down the cellar) or just use the switch to turn it off and on. I could only find it on uk ebay, but you should find American sellers of the same thing 60LED SOLAR FLOODLIGHT WITH PIR MOTION SENSOR OUTDOOR GARDEN SECURITY LIGHT 5054667360712 | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/60LED-SOLAR-FLOODLIGHT-WITH-PIR-MOTION-SENSOR-OUTDOOR-GARDEN-SECURITY-LIGHT/163770752477?epid=26034600540&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item26217f5ddd:g:BWMAAOSw6rhdJMse&enc=AQAEAAACQBPxNw%2BVj6nta7CKEs3N0qXpSTBbTxMr2jjPJGHWc%2BfCPEVt686E8yR8JbGqb1%2BUnquxbG%2BcF6OBBlcrX%2Ffslz8eGeUvvBkhVqbh8tDp3Hk1DmDgfzLyEgvsLA44OfrNymioflGwVwB2KIDg%2FsHySAkfC%2BsfS%2F6%2FvI568O0t2KOA4BiaqV7zUih3CfxgiEmKNUDEaYCjGyuyBHjoJUJ4WgFKQwG5UXJtcLRlCIkZyS5m%2BYJAwV3nJ4XiMYF8fHl9uEvDCCA86k1PvgQtffiXfSm%2BxIfYYIaTE1Ug8IBPKRwtfssKd5qpyvrGroI05yAuc24cEoRAQOkA8yEBRYjmKZtQYyQqW%2B3gusAMaYrDQEvkQ%2FrNbXyQIqgpghNpBV7ON0wtEArGqeC3QPPJOUEUCqV%2BggzfhCA4ffnx53Ils7H4nNbhk%2B0TgSbMp%2F7RkjVw4EP8NRTk1XmUIMH63jAjsaungt4%2B%2FmzCIKo%2BXVtG9DNJADd29muG3Z34GMoiiMf2GXHPhGKbbedOsf0%2Fq3exogK9Ojinkx9f1365ScrqlsT0B8ACqA7%2FlfsGB8cWV%2FAGaOADkvKXHGTPeBIy6FvbXoWR1tJwkfsn2TrMKbNcyu68xHKJ6nnzAmsWkq4GuxkSHpHveGzMlb8kYCAi8L%2Bd72z1ARkjgru%2B8lCPhEgknb7sz0Rz4YK2JzdUaNKw0yyNjh8XI%2BUxW4%2BYLrnXma3Rabk0eeY1Y1qdgdj5Mw4d%2Bls60LxVUVDBcrn2H3GMobiOGw%3D%3D&checksum=163770752477026f365b578541e1a5e479184caacbcd
Thank you for the info on the lights. And no I havent noticed any of my neighbors with same issues. The house was built in 1900. And there is much vintage details in the 1 bedroom home. But the electric panel looks new as the landlord did indicate work
Just wondering,

No I have not seen or heard of any of the homes around me having the same issues. This home was built in 1900. The homes around me are all much newer. The landlord said the electric was done a couple years ago and the panel box would support that statement, since it all appears new. The 1 time I braved the basement, to manually flip the breaker, I had to first flip it off, then on again, before it would come on...which makes the fact that it comes back on on it's own even more strange?!? Thank you for the info on the lights, it's no fun trying to fumble for a flashlight, although I should one glued to my hand with how often it goes out lol

Thank you for the info on the lights. And no I havent noticed any of my neighbors with same issues. The house was built in 1900. And there is much vintage details in the 1 bedroom home. But the electric panel looks new as the landlord did indicate work

No I have not seen or heard of any of the homes around me having the same issues. This home was built in 1900. The homes around me are all much newer. The landlord said the electric was done a couple years ago and the panel box would support that statement, since it all appears new. The 1 time I braved the basement, to manually flip the breaker, I had to first flip it off, then on again, before it would come on...which makes the fact that it comes back on on it's own even more strange?!? Thank you for the info on the lights, it's no fun trying to fumble for a flashlight, although I should one glued to my hand with how often it goes out lol
Well it's probably worth getting an electrician to check it over as it may be a lose connection like @westward10 mentioned above.
It's quite normal to flip the switch on and off though to get it to work again at the consumer unit/fuse box. I wouldn't worry about that to much.

If the electrics are going out that much then I would get the pir light especially in the cellar. It will be so bright it would probably dissipate your fear factor to going down there. It will be lit up like a football stadium :tearsofjoy:

I've just purchased some small ones which are a fiver on Ebay. They have the solar built onto the back of the light so again you could use them inside but will need to face the solar in a window somewhere to pick up daylight charging. They don't need sunlight but not so bright if continuously grey and dull weather.
Solar-Panel-LED-Flood-Security-Solar-Garden-Light-PIR-Motion-Sensor-6-LEDs-Path-Wall-Lamps.jpg

They are seriously bright though.

Be careful you don't go putting to many of them up as you might start an investigation from NASA when the international space station complains of being blinded by a jet of light coming from Earth :tearsofjoy:

Well it's probably worth getting an electrician to check it over as it may be a lose connection like @westward10 mentioned above.
It's quite normal to flip the switch on and off though to get it to work again at the consumer unit/fuse box. I wouldn't worry about that to much.

If the electrics are going out that much then I would get the pir light especially in the cellar. It will be so bright it would probably dissipate your fear factor to going down there. It will be lit up like a football stadium :tearsofjoy:

I've just purchased some small ones which are a fiver on Ebay. They have the solar built onto the back of the light so again you could use them inside but will need to face the solar in a window somewhere to pick up daylight charging. They don't need sunlight but not so bright if continuously grey and dull weather.
Solar-Panel-LED-Flood-Security-Solar-Garden-Light-PIR-Motion-Sensor-6-LEDs-Path-Wall-Lamps.jpg

They are seriously bright though.

Be careful you don't go putting to many of them up as you might start an investigation from NASA when the international space station complains of being blinded by a jet of light coming from Earth :tearsofjoy:
It's sad to admit that my biggest fear of the basement is not so much the darkness, although not my favorite, my biggest fear is someone closing the door above me, and being stuck there!! The likelyhood of this actually happening? Pretty slim being the mom of a 16 year old i should know better....all i can say is i did not realize i had this fear until i found the door for the basement inside a storage shed add-on to the side of the house!! My poor daughter who does not share my fears of spiders, and now trap doors in a floor, is the one who has to go reset it all the time (much shame and embarrassment).....
I have seen the lights you are referring to, they have them online on a website I shop all the time, so now I know they work, I will be getting some for sure.. thank you

It's sad to admit that my biggest fear of the basement is not so much the darkness, although not my favorite, my biggest fear is someone closing the door above me, and being stuck there!! The likelyhood of this actually happening? Pretty slim being the mom of a 16 year old i should know better....all i can say is i did not realize i had this fear until i found the door for the basement inside a storage shed add-on to the side of the house!! My poor daughter who does not share my fears of spiders, and now trap doors in a floor, is the one who has to go reset it all the time (much shame and embarrassment).....
I have seen the lights you are referring to, they have them online on a website I shop all the time, so now I know they work, I will be getting some for sure.. thank you
I hear you...

What you could do is fix a hasp and staple to the door and frame. I'm not sure if this translates in American but it looks like this TTh

hasp-and-staple.jpg

Then use a combination padlock like this
71QgkAhpwqL._SL1500_.jpg

Then when the door is open padlock it together so you know nobody could actually close it, plus a combination padlock you wont need to remember the key each time. Also buy a 'air horn'
Sports+Air+Horn_XL.jpg

And hide it somewhere in the cellar. This way you should find you have more piece of mind and the fear will start to dissapear!
[automerge]1583084791[/automerge]
If the hasp and staple does not work out within the frame then
bracket-1475646741-2436022.jpeg

One of these fixed to the door and one fixed to the wall, then use a chain
ss-chain.jpg

And padlock through. Hope this makes sense!

Last edited:
Have you considered speaking to the electricity company ?

It sounds very much like there is something going on outside your property and the symptoms you are experiencing suggest the power is dipping for some reason.

If there was a fault then the circuit breaker would trip. Normally these stay tripped so as you are not experiencing the circuit breakers tripping this suggests a loss of incoming power.

My home electric is very strange. No matter what time of day or night, perfect weather or stormy, my lights flicker through the house eventually resulting in the power in the whole house being shut off. Occasionally it will come right back on, but I've gone as long as 2+ before it will turn itself back on. The panel is in the basement, and I have gone and checked it out once (I'm terrified of basements where the entrance is a door in the floor) and there were no issues such as anything looking or smelling burnt, no moisture, wires appeared to be secure and undamaged. I rent the home, and have mentioned this to my landlord, whose response was "huh" I just had it worked on a couple years ago, that's weird". I'm a single mother, and need help with insuring the safety of my daughter. Thank you
Jessica welcome to the forum and since you are confident that you have no loose connections inside your service panel and it is what it sounds like. I think you need to call the power company because I would think it would be unlikely that both live wires would be loose. Please let us know how that turns out so we can try and help you figure this out. Have you called an electrician ? If not I highly recommend that you do. Let us know

Reply to How does a breaker get tripped then turn itself back on at random? in the USA area at ElectriciansForums.net