Discuss How many eicr in a day in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure what's notification and what's not ...I must admit I don't fully understand the rules

Do you have a copy of part P? It's a free download so you don't even have to pay for it, it clearly explains what is notifiable and what is not. It's certainly a lot easier to understand dthan BS7671 is in places, and you presumably have a copy of BS7671 and understand it?

@davesparks its quite apparent that he doesn’t have a copy of the Regs, certainly not an up to date one ?

Reactions: DPG

Notifiable works

• The installation of a new circuit
  • The replacement of a consumer unit
  • Any addition or alteration to an existing circuit in a special location
Non- notifiable works

• All other work is considered non-notifiable, namely additions and alterations to existing installations outside special locations, maintenance, replacement and repair work.
Special locations and installations

• A room containing a bathtub or shower
  • A room containing a swimming pool or sauna heater.
How will compliance with Part P be enforced?

Failure to comply with the Building Regulations is a criminal offence and local authorities have the power to require the removal or alteration of work that does not comply with the requirements.
[automerge]1595972129[/automerge]
I would just like to acknowledge you @Brian Taylor for at least asking the right questions and trying to get abreast of what I and others are banging on about. Kudos to you! I would also add that I started training when I was 17 in London around the east end. The working practices and installation equipment has no semblance of familiarity compared to now. The rules and regulations and enforcement have gradually become more and more complex. Because it has been an incremental and gradual change and increase over the years I have managed to keep abreast by continuing professional development (CPD) and so it is not so hard for me. I did it bite by bite so to speak. From where you appear to be it probably may seem a daunting task to get your head around modern requirements. However if you at least take on board the most basic of requirements, notification, you will be batting from a much more secure wicket so to speak.
Many thanks sir

Yes have an older copy...waiting for the price to come down to a sensible level

The price doensy come down, it is what it is, and it is relatively cheap compared to other British standards documents.

How on earth do you carry out work or EICRs in compliance with the regulations if you do not have a copy of the current edition?

The price doensy come down, it is what it is, and it is relatively cheap compared to other British standards documents.

How on earth do you carry out work or EICRs in compliance with the regulations if you do not have a copy of the current edition?
Well yes they do reduce in price...the original price o found was about ÂŁ95 but have seen them going for about ÂŁ60 now on Amazon so heading in the right direction
[automerge]1596098678[/automerge]
Well yes they do reduce in price...the original price o found was about ÂŁ95 but have seen them going for about ÂŁ60 now on Amazon so heading in the right direction
I can't imagine that the regulations have changed much since the last edition..I am given to understand that the latest is a more or less rewrite of the previous one

I can't imagine that the regulations have changed much since the last edition..I am given to understand that the latest is a more or less rewrite of the previous one

Then your understanding is wrong. If it was a straight rewrite of the last one it wouldn't have been done.

Things that have changed include the new requirements for surge protection, additional requirements for RCD protection in domestic installations, requirements for AFDDs, changes to EV charging, changes to max Zs for RCD protected circuits.

You cannot be carrying out EICRs without a good knowledge of the current wiring regulations, especially not for rental houses where the new law requires them to have an EICR to the 18th edition.

[automerge]1596098678[/automerge]

So, that's another way you can save money and thus undercut genuine electricians. Don't bother buying regs - top tip eh.

If you are for real, then you shouldn't be doing electrical work for people. I suggest you contact people for who you have done notifiable work for and let them know they need to notify their local authority.

I take it you also have no objection to unqualified/unregistered people doing gas installation work for people?

Last edited:
What's the legal position when an electrician works to whatever previous version of regulations that best suits their thinking, rather than current regulations?

My uncalibrated MFT (calibration is a waste of money) packed up the other week but I don’t charge my customers enough to cover replacing tools and equipment. It’s fine though, I just short line to earth with a paper clip and wear free covid-19 gloves from the BP garage so I don’t belt myself. It’s great, everything has tripped so far.

I am not an engineer (I wish!) and I know there are far better sparks than me on here, just for the record @Brian Taylor. Apologies are not necessary as you have done nothing to offend. All I am really saying is the point about BC notification. I can't put it any more simpler than that please don't over read this. You cannot do work in domestic without notification. If you do you will be breaking the law unless it is always non notifiable work. I think most sparks on here know this. Just a word to the (hopefully!) wise really. You did ask!
I only know personally of one person being taken to court under the Part P regs and he notified his jobs, for notification the only people you are really notifying is HMRC he got nailed for tax evasion as they said his declared income didn't match the number and type of jobs he had notified

Then your understanding is wrong. If it was a straight rewrite of the last one it wouldn't have been done.

Things that have changed include the new requirements for surge protection, additional requirements for RCD protection in domestic installations, requirements for AFDDs, changes to EV charging, changes to max Zs for RCD protected circuits.

You cannot be carrying out EICRs without a good knowledge of the current wiring regulations, especially not for rental houses where the new law requires them to have an EICR to the 18th edition.
This gets more confusing the more I hear....looking back i note that SPDs are a matter of opinion. Not a hard and fast rule !!
[automerge]1596133774[/automerge]
My uncalibrated MFT (calibration is a waste of money) packed up the other week but I don’t charge my customers enough to cover replacing tools and equipment. It’s fine though, I just short line to earth with a paper clip and wear free covid-19 gloves from the BP garage so I don’t belt myself. It’s great, everything has tripped so far.
As far as I'm aware there is no need to have a meter calibrated every year only that any meter is checked against a meter that has been calibrated..is do a set of tests with a meter that has been calibrated..record the values and then do same tests with uncalibrated meter..if results are much the same then all ok
[automerge]1596134186[/automerge]
So, that's another way you can save money and thus undercut genuine electricians. Don't bother buying regs - top tip eh.

If you are for real, then you shouldn't be doing electrical work for people. I suggest you contact people for who you have done notifiable work for and let them know they need to notify their local authority.

I take it you also have no objection to unqualified/unregistered people doing gas installation work for people?
Non whatsoever if they're making a living them good luck to them would do myself if I had any skills in that area but I'll stick to what I know best.

Last edited:
This gets more confusing the more I hear....looking back i note that SPDs are a matter of opinion. Not a hard and fast rule !!

The rules are very clear on SPDs, including the methods of working out whether they are needed or not.
In reality there will be very few installations where they are genuinely not required.

The rules are very clear on SPDs, including the methods of working out whether they are needed or not.
In reality there will be very few installations where they are genuinely not required.

I bet Brian doesn't fit them!

I'm bored with it now. I've played along but it's getting samey now.

I suspect you're Chris's fan club.
Corrected that for ya mate...??

• Funny
Reactions: DPG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How many eicr in a day in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock