Discuss How old are solid core singles? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

davesparks

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I'm carrying out an EICR at the moment and have encountered quite a lot of solid core singles. Is there a particular time period when these were commonly in use?
I'm trying to work out a rough date for this part of installation.

Hi Dave , the only time I tend to come across these is whilst ripping out old corn dryers .
I would say they are nearly always from the late 60s , possibly very early 70s according to the farm staff.
Hope that helps ?

never seen solid core singles.

unfor
Hi Dave , the only time I tend to come across these is whilst ripping out old corn dryers .
I would say they are nearly always from the late 60s , possibly very early 70s according to the farm staff.
Hope that helps ?

This lot doesn't feel right for the insulation used on imperial cables, if that makes sense?
It feels like metric cable, and that would tally with the feeling I'm getting from the whole installation.
The trunking is much older, but that has been rewired from the original VIR at some point in time,its just working out what that point in time is which is proving difficult.
[automerge]1578344139[/automerge]
Are they double insulated singles?

No, normal red and black.

Are we talking 6181Y here? cos I can remember installing them in the 80's/90's
Seen plenty in old rewired propertys from same time, where old imperial conduit reused and solid core singles pulled in.

I've come across plenty, presuming you mean conduit wiring. One main building was built in the late 50's and there are still quite a few original circuits in use throughout the works. I've had a few problems with the office circuits...conduits plastered in walls. It was still available in the 70's and 80's.
edit. Thinking about it, that original 50's one may have had some additions. Probably 7/029's with solid additions a bit later. I would say 60's.
Found some 3 phase wired in red, white and blue solids.

Last edited:
The only time I have ever seen solid singles is in old control equipment from the 60/70s motors, contactors, heating controls ect...
I know they were used in that pre wired conduit. used back in the 70/80s.

We are working in a building built in the 70s, solid singles in steel conduit throughout. (except the crap recently installed wiring) Some wholesalers and cable suppliers stock solid singles if you want to use them. I quite like them.

Has the earth got a solid green sheath

Kind of, its an old trunking installation so it's got a dark green enamel finish to it.
[automerge]1578345613[/automerge]
Are we talking 6181Y here? cos I can remember installing them in the 80's/90's
Seen plenty in old rewired propertys from same time, where old imperial conduit reused and solid core singles pulled in.

Yeah 6181, the trunking and conduits are all imperial, you can see it was originally VIR by the few bits still left around the place.

I had a boat that was wired in solid singles, all run in beautiful teak channels, almost all of them were red which made things awkward. It was built in 1965, and I guess they didn't tend to use stranded due to moisture problems.

Solid singles 6491x was definitely in use from the late '70s as we used a lot of it, moved to stranded in mid '80s for 2.5mm2 and above purely for ease of use as it kinked badly when pulling through.

As far as I know it is still available now, in the new colours, denmans stocks 1.5mm2 at the very least.

I have a photo of a control panel somewhere wired in solid singles, all perfectly formed and run neatly side by side around the back plate. Certainly a work of art!

I think the 1.5 & 2.5 conduit cables came in with metric just as solid 2.5 T+E replaced 7/.029, but whilst solid is still available the preference soon reverted to stranded. Solid has the advantage of slightly smaller O/D; we exploited this when rewiring a building with extensive use of 5/8" conduit.

Whether imperial solid PVC-insulated larger than 1/.044 was ever sold as a conduit cable I'm not sure. It was standard for panel wiring but made to a different BS.

Reply to How old are solid core singles? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net