Discuss How Old Was You When You Became Interested In Electrics? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Had zero intentions on being coming a sparkie, went to uni to study engineering, did one out of the five years, as it was really expensive, and I through there has to be more to life than this crap. Went travelling around the world for a year, Came back went to join the police service, they promptly told me that as I had been out the country for a year, I would have to wait a year before joining as they had no track of what I had been up to for all that time. So I got a job at the local college on the maintenance department. I was put with one of the college electricians to help him. I really enjoyed it. The college offered to pay for my electrical training. Did the first year at college shadowing the sparkles there, realised I was not getting much variety of work. So left and join a local company. That was back in 2006,

Interesting that so many of us had a belt messing around as kids that peaked our interest enough to put into this trade.
I also had a nice one putting a plug back on to power lead for the telly that been pulled out by my sister as the lead had been left trailing across the floor. I put the wires back correctly but for some reason decided to plug it back in to test it before putting the top back on. Big black burn with entrance and exit mark on my hand between the live and neutral pin screws and a nice trip across the living room floor.
my concern is now we are all doing such a great job of keeping people safe what's going to inspire the future generations ?

I was 40.
Well when I was 6 years old I took a razor blad and cut through a lamp that was plugged in and zap, I also stuck a paper clip into a socket and zap. After that I was always curious about electrical, went to work in textiles mills and a job opened up and the supervisor who I was selling weed to took me under his wing and I was 28 and never looked back. I’m 62 and still love electrical work

Age 7 it was clocks (I'll say that carefully),
my interest in taking things apart was born -
I found electro-mechanicals then electronics fascinating to put back together ,
plastecine + wire = Non approved methods.
Only thing I ever caught with burglar alarm was
.. Cat or sister ..
I still have a collection of 5A round pin somewhere !

About 1961 when I was 16, when I found out I wouldn't make it as a Carpenter/Joiner a
Apparently -aged 10 or so I was verbally describing
(Magnus Pyke style) the innards of old Bell operated cast iron cisterns -at school so my mum said,
though I was actually ---- scared of the noise they make.
(or was it falling down the bowl-standing on the rim)
..Aged 30 I embraced that irrational fear - with
"Immersion therapy" - Apparently a Snatch technique !
... My heart no longer thumps harder , lifting any cistern lid that is not dead quiet...

My dad was a sparks he worked in a big factory as their maintenance guy. Pretty mundan stuff like fitting tray and conduit , fixing stuff and replacing light bulbs etc.
I spend the summer holidays with him after taking my GCSEs , did some basic stuff like cutting conduit and pulling cable etc. spent hours just roaming the factory floor looking or little jobs that needed doings...
Unfortunatly the factory was closed down shortly there after (is now a big yellow storage units) and everyone was was made redundant overnight.
But from this brief time working with him sparked my interest in wiring and electrical work.

My dad was a sparks he worked in a big factory as their maintenance guy. Pretty mundan stuff like fitting tray and conduit , fixing stuff and replacing light bulbs etc.
I spend the summer holidays with him after taking my GCSEs , did some basic stuff like cutting conduit and pulling cable etc. spent hours just roaming the factory floor looking or little jobs that needed doings...
Unfortunatly the factory was closed down shortly there after (is now a big yellow storage units) and everyone was was made redundant overnight.
But from this brief time working with him sparked my interest in wiring and electrical work.
During my early Apprenticeship, I never knew from day to day where or what I would be working on Domestic, Shops or industrial, so I learnt everything, one chap stood out in my Apprenticeship, he got fired for taking his time to teach me, I seemed to follow him around from Firm to Firm, mutual respect I suppose, became firm Friends, he is long gone now sadly, not that much older than me maybe 5 years, still think of him from time to time . hard to forget someone like him, owe him a lot wish I could tell him, maybe I will some day in Sparky Heaven.

My old fella was a foreman electrician in a massive factory. A few years after he'd left he started up on his own and I remember he used to take me in there to do summer maintenance on shutdown. His old chargehand had taken over his job and tested me with a fault find on a small machine.
I, luckily I'll say, narrowed it down to a faulty solenoid and got a pat on the back. Went back to school but eventually joined the firm as an apprentice.

Last edited:
I was 4 years old when I became the “man of the house” after my father died.
1st task I was given after some training from my mums friend was to put a new plug on every electrical device we owned.
This was due to the Saudi government deporting us back to home turf . No breadwinner, not welcome.

Reminds me of the two old army guys sitting in the retirement home, one says to the other "Tell me Stanley are you a once'r or a twice'r" Stanley replies "Definitely a twice'r" "Which do your prefer" says his opposite number, Stanley after some thought says "Definitely the Spring one"

Reminds me of the two old army guys sitting in the retirement home, one says to the other "Tell me Stanley are you a once'r or a twice'r" Stanley replies "Definitely a twice'r" "Which do your prefer" says his opposite number, Stanley after some thought says "Definitely the Spring one"
Reminds me of the two old army guys sitting in the retirement home, one says to the other .
Remember that stuff they used to put in our tea in WW1 to stop us feeling randy... well I think it is starting to work. ;)

Reply to How Old Was You When You Became Interested In Electrics? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock