• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss How Old Was You When You Became Interested In Electrics? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

About 1961 when I was 16, when I found out I wouldn't make it as a Carpenter/Joiner and the only Apprenticeship I could get was an Electrical one, good choice as it turned out, been all over the world working in the Electrical Maintenance and installation field, Domestic, Commercial and Industrial as well as Security.

I suppose i would have been about the same age,6 or7,dropped off at a neighbours,on a Summers day,for supervision.....
Decided to remove the pond pump,and strip it completely. Got an almighty -------ing,then,was dragged back round,after tea,as the husband of the lady,could not assemble said pump,and as my mother still tells it,i rebuilt it...like a practised Taliban operative,builds up an AK47... :)

I reckon it taught me more about human nature,than glands and impellers...

Star tike,at dinner,little star by supper...one man's meat,etc :cool:

About 1961 when I was 16, when I found out I wouldn't make it as a Carpenter/Joiner and the only Apprenticeship I could get was an Electrical one, good choice as it turned out, been all over the world working in the Electrical Maintenance and installation field, Domestic, Commercial and Industrial as well as Security.
Am I the only one being truthful here????

I was a late bloomer, but I received my first shock, aged about 11. I was trying to replace an pendant lamp, in the dark, standing on a table on the landing, overlooking the stairwell. My finger went where it shouldn’t have gone. The rest is history, along with my hairline.

Think I was about 7, when I used to take great delight at shorting Out my Dads spare car battery out in the shed, short piece of wire across the terminals, and watch it melt. Great fun.

It wasn’t until the last day of school at 16, when they said that’s it, no more school for you. Sort of panicked, wonder what I was going to do. Remembered the bloke, who rewired parent’s house, thought that might be good.

Got an interview for electrical apprenticeship a few weeks later. My Mum insisted on attending the interview with me. Bloody embarrassing, especially as the contracts manager had a Playboy calendar on the wall. Mum got me the job mind, bless her. :)

I've had an interest in electronics and physics for as long as I can remember. I became interested in stage lighting at secondary school.
I did work experience at a stage lighting company at 15 and continued to do occasional work with them.
At 18 I left college with a few A levels and no idea what I would do next.
My grandfather had a word with the owner of the local building company (my grandfather had worked for his father when he owned the company) and got me an interview for the electricians apprentice. They had already selected an apprentice but as a favour to my grandfather they gave me an interview and then gave me the job over the other guy. They have him the plumbing apprenticeship instead and he has done very well out of it and we are still friends now so no hard feelings there.

When I was a few years old, apparently I kept asking questions about things, often domestic appliances. Why does the heater get hot? Why does the lamp glow? Being a knowledgeable sort of chap, my dad kept answering them, but also started encouraging me to answer the questions by reading books. We did some projects, made electronic gadgets from magazine articles, built a steam engine from castings etc. He had always been interested in photography and chemistry, so I was taught how to develop and print a film and other practical crafts and scientific pursuits. But it was always electronics that held my interest, so eventually that won out, and I loved theatre, so I soon found a niche in electrical and electronic work for the performing arts, live production and the movies.

A lot of it is down to environment and having the right mentors. I was really lucky in my early teens once I had become at least a bit useful, people were generous with their time showing me how to do stuff and making me practice until I did it well. I'd like to give them all credit but it would be a long list for one post.

aged 10 i made an "alarm system" consistind of some bits of meccano , insulating tape and bell wire, under the top step of the stairs, coupled to a batteyr and a buzzer in my bedroom... so when my dad came up the stairs at 11.00 p.m., i could turn off radio luxemberg and pretend to be asleep.

I suppose i would have been about the same age,6 or7,dropped off at a neighbours,on a Summers day,for supervision.....
Decided to remove the pond pump,and strip it completely. Got an almighty -------ing,then,was dragged back round,after tea,as the husband of the lady,could not assemble said pump,and as my mother still tells it,i rebuilt it...like a practised Taliban operative,builds up an AK47... :)

I reckon it taught me more about human nature,than glands and impellers...

Star tike,at dinner,little star by supper...one man's meat,etc :cool:
I said 16 not 6 or 7 Mate

Around 9 or 10 i think, mum bought me an electronic projects kit fro xmas, built radios, flashing lights etc.. by 13 i was building control gear for my radio controlled car, you could buy it all in kit form, had to cycle 25miles each way to get the stuff, times were hard, lol
by 16 i was well into auto electrics and car mechanics as my brother was 3 years older so i worked on his cars. I think i got my first 240v shock , testing a washing machine motor at 13 ish............
By the time i started apprenticeship i was already battle scarred....o_O

My mum and dad tell the story of one of my first infant school paintings. I was 5 or 6 and the class was asked to paint a picture of the Nativity scene in Bethlehem. Mine had electric lighting and a one bar electric fire beside Jesus' manger plugged in to a round 3 pin socket. I don't remember if there was a Wylex fuse box by the stable door but I can remember doing it which is a good sign :)

I was 7. I painstakingly removed 2 screws from a power socket with a small pair of scissors and then tried to unscrew the live in the same fashion.
This is how I became painfully became interested in them, how about you?
Carrying on from this post, can anyone recall wgat their 1st day at work was? Mine funnily as it seems was polishing MICC cables at a Distribution board, though about and rgought here we go Apprentice Mickey taking starts early at this Firm, bit no, turmd out the Sparl in charge was an ex Mine Electrician, and he was a stickler for making sure all aspects of the job looked right as well as working correctly.

My dad got me an electronics kit when I was about 7 or 8...a Phillips Electronic Engineer kit, to make Morse buzzer, radios etc. I think it was really for him, or to educate me following an incident when I cut through the flex of my bedside table with a pair of scissors (i was thrown out of bed, but clearly survived unscathed...though some would disagree!)
After that, I helped my dad on many projects on boats, where the voltage was a lot lower, but you could still get some big sparks...
Built a burglar alarm a bit like Tel's setup, then dabbled with auto-electrics etc. My career took me elsewhere, but I always had an interest in electrics, and did lots of lighting and bathroom and kitchen fitting on my houses...guess I was lucky, but never had a problem.
Over the last few years I have developed my interest and spent so many hours learning online and finding excuses to buy new tools...
As I have said many times, I have learned a lot on this forum, especially about safe practices, and there are lots of good sources of information online, John Ward and Chris wotsisname...and there are some hilarious sites too, mainly foreign, that are good for a laugh! Now I am retired i continue to dabble and do some ISITEE and installation, but all final testing is outsourced on anything major.
[automerge]1577958261[/automerge]
Here's the chap!
How Old Was You When You Became Interested In Electrics? Vintage-Boxed-Philips-Electronic-Engineer-Combined-Kit-EE20 - EletriciansForums.net

Was never interested. Wanted to be a photographer but didn't have the get up and go to persue it. Dad came home one day and said I've got you a job, been fiddling with wires ever since.
Me neither.
I was only ever interested in building/fabricating things from metal and wood. I got into electrics due to my maintenance apprenticeship. Truth is i'm not all that interested in it even now 30 odd years later. I'm more interested in science, in particular quantum mechanics and the other end of the scale cosmology.
The only thing about electrics that interests me is the science, design and problem solving. The installation, especially domestic, bores me but has always been part of my job one way or another.
I take my hat off to those that love electrics and are lucky enough to earn a living from something they really enjoy.

Reply to How Old Was You When You Became Interested In Electrics? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back