Discuss How Old Was You When You Became Interested In Electrics? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Bloody hell. There’s a career I wouldn’t want to make a mistake in.

reminds me of the time I worked on an RAF base. Nothing special, still needed civvies to change a lightbulb.... but we were workingin the missile section. Every new building we worked in, we had to have an induction/ safety brief.
Fire safety in this place was: “If you discover a fire, first raise the alarm. Then see if you can run away as fast as I can!”
One of our hydraulic machines caught fire .This was massive digger with hundreds of gallons of oil and diesel in it
The banksman abandoned the machine as quick as he could and made no attempt to tackle the fire . At the enquiry he was asked what steps he should take in the event of fire. He answered "Great big fkkkrs , two at a time".

I must say I'm glad I'm not any younger, everything fun is banned now.

I was 11 when my grandfather taught me how to operate a digger and dumper. I remember it was quite hard for little me to push the clutch pedal in on the dumper. Once taught I was left alone to dig out an earth bank, load it into the dumper, drive the dumper into the next field and dump the soil there. Can you imagine that happening these days?!

A year later he gave me a carrier bag full of parts that was once an 8mm projector. I worked out how all the parts worked and fit together and it still works to this day.

Anyone else play on building sites as a kid? Always liked to see the wiring in the houses being built. Certainly not now though. Loved heights (and still do) nearly fell off the roof of our 3 storey tree house once, and nearly through the rotten floor of an abandoned farm building, the drop was about 15' or so. Still hasn't put me off wondering through old buildings.

Near to our house in Blackheath was the Kidbrooke de-commissioned RAF station, we used to play on the Asbestos roofs and get inside the buildings by climbing down the roof truss's and steel columns, that RAF station became the Kidbrooke Council Estate on the opposite side of the road to the Railway Station, I actually think this is now being pulled down to be re-developed, in Highbury where we lived prior to Blackheath we played on the bomb sites.

Loved MarkRibbands early explosives DIY :cool:
I too,had the bug,and with a pal,we were knockin up some pretty hot compounds,plus his grandad was an ex sapper,and awful influence. Me pal then got an apprenticeship with Bayer,and we had access to all missing ingredients......scandalous,and 5 years chokey,now,but sooooo satisfying;)

My eldest has the same interest,but with a future career in the military,even reminiscing,has to be In Camera....o_O

1976 when we moved house and the sparks was doing a RB4 Got hooked then and now out of contracting doing EV points on the cards.
Had good time doing it and bad times But TBH never want to do a rewire or New build ever again

when I was about 10 I used to help my dad on foreigners used to pass him tools, when I was 17 I left school to be a electrical install apprentice, It was only then my dad told me he used to work for the EMEB.

I still help my dad on jobs and Im 40 years old and I love being a fully qualified electrician. I still get son 'you are doing that wrong'

I actually wanted to do bomb disposal that was until I went to the Army careers office

The NCO said it's an interesting job , Technical too! , come back next week and you can have a chat with my colleague who's spent 15 years doing it!

Went back the following week met the guy who'd got 4 fingers on one hand and two stumps on the other, and a few vicious facial scars from NI a few years before

Interesting bloke, especially his attitude
to what had happened to him, he said he'd
been involved in enough incidents that could have killed a lot of people so it was worth it!

Inspiring however it did make me think twice!

Ha Ha! The days when a 12 y/o could walk into 'Boots the Chemist' or Woolworths, buy a 7lb tin of (unsuppressed) Sodium chlorate weedkiller, a pack of icing sugar, a box of 12 AG3B flash bulbs, a roll of bell wire, and a torch battery, all at the same time, from the same check-out, and no one said anything.
Happy days. Which, incidentally, informed my entire subsequent main career.

ps: And then film the whole ridiculous and dangerous process on my father's 8mm cine camera. Here's a still, which, until this thread got me reminiscing on a happy childhood, I forgot I had :)

Note the prepared device in the milk bottle. And who else remembers 'Savbit' solder?

And check out that massively cool LED watch :)
View attachment 54991
I used caster sugar myself, closer to the granule size of the sodium chlorate.

I think it's hard to say exactly when, I had an electric train set, and I must have worked out dirt on the lines stop it working, and remember putting two 6 volt bulbs in series across the track and one failed, and dad explaining how the watts needed to match.

But at what age that happened?

Loved working on building sites when I was a student. drots, D8s, motor scrapers, anything...foreman just said go for it, and off I went.
My favourite was a huge Volvo scraper with hydraulic rams, so when you got bogged down you just dropped the rams and swung the cab section to one side and dropped the wheels on dry land...happy days!
Out of interest, this was in 1973 to 1977, and my wage packet was usually about £135/week cash and no tax...a pint of Double Diamond in the student union bar was 14p...
7 pints for a £1 and 2p left over for a box of matches...

My dad was a sparks he worked in a big factory as their maintenance guy. Pretty mundan stuff like fitting tray and conduit , fixing stuff and replacing light bulbs etc.
I spend the summer holidays with him after taking my GCSEs , did some basic stuff like cutting conduit and pulling cable etc. spent hours just roaming the factory floor looking or little jobs that needed doings...
Unfortunatly the factory was closed down shortly there after (is now a big yellow storage units) and everyone was was made redundant overnight.
But from this brief time working with him sparked my interest in wiring and electrical work.
My old fella was a foreman electrician in a massive factory. A few years after he'd left he started up on his own and I remember he used to take me in there to do summer maintenance on shutdown. His old chargehand had taken over his job and tested me with a fault find on a small machine.
I, luckily I'll say, narrowed it down to a faulty solenoid and got a pat on the back. Went back to school but eventually joined the firm as an apprentice.
Are you guys brothers?

To answer OP I was 21

From about 9 when I started to take my toys apart, then about 14 I started stripping them for components and making new circuits then through my 20s going computer repair and actually looking to advance through college and beyond to become a spark.

The kicker of course being I'm disabled (had hydrocephalus and cerbal palsy since birth and non-specifical lower back pain since 2015 with no sign of abaiting) but if I want my kids to get a trade when they grow up,I must lead by example, sure I might not get anywhere with it (disability being the barrier to potential employment on the industry) but I'll have it under my belt.

From about 9 when I started to take my toys apart, then about 14 I started stripping them for components and making new circuits then through my 20s going computer repair and actually looking to advance through college and beyond to become a spark.

The kicker of course being I'm disabled (had hydrocephalus and cerbal palsy since birth and non-specifical lower back pain since 2015 with no sign of abaiting) but if I want my kids to get a trade when they grow up,I must lead by example, sure I might not get anywhere with it (disability being the barrier to potential employment on the industry) but I'll have it under my belt.
Good luck to you @Lister1987 thats a great attitude you have mate! :)

Me neither.
I was only ever interested in building/fabricating things from metal and wood. I got into electrics due to my maintenance apprenticeship. Truth is i'm not all that interested in it even now 30 odd years later. I'm more interested in science, in particular quantum mechanics and the other end of the scale cosmology.
The only thing about electrics that interests me is the science, design and problem solving. The installation, especially domestic, bores me but has always been part of my job one way or another.
I take my hat off to those that love electrics and are lucky enough to earn a living from something they really enjoy.

I got a few books by Jim Al-Khalili. Who delves into the Quantum World. Fantastic bloke who loved giving seminars at the science museum. He’s an expert on Entropy and pretty good at explaining about quarks & Neutrinos in Layman’s terms.

Wow, how lovely to see that again. I was given mine in about 1967.
Ah yes, I got two boxes of the old Philips electronics kit handed down to me by my brothers. Before that I had a kit where all the components were mounted on plastic carriers with studs sticking out - you put them through holes in a large (well it seemed large when I was "somewhat smaller" than I am today) PCB and bolted them down with little nuts. I remember they were still in the attic until about 3 years ago when mum downsized - I can't remember what I did with them now :confused: I think I'd have kept them to hand down to the grand kids when they are old enough. The ancient VCR (so old it still had "piano key" that semi-mechanically operated the mechanism) definitely went !

I'd been taking things to pieces ever since I could hold a screwdriver: my father was often infuriated but it rarely stopped me.
Hmm, that sounds familiar !

As to how old I was when I got started, no idea. One of those "as long as I can remember" things and definitely before I got to double digits. Dad was an electrician (working for a general sparky firm I think), by the time I came along he worked in R&D at Brush Electrical Machines which sounded interesting from some of the stories he'd tell. I think mum found it "difficult" with a husband and 3 boys all interested in anything electrical ?

Reply to How Old Was You When You Became Interested In Electrics? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock