Discuss How to become an electrician? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I hope you are well.

I managed to complete all my level 3 electrical courses, including the following:

• 18th Edition: EAL Level 3 Award in the Requirements for Electrical Installations BS 7671:2018, 603/3298/0
• Building Regulations Part P – Domestic Installer: EAL Level 3 Award in the Building Regulations for Electrical Installations in Dwellings, 603/0149/1
• Portable Appliance Testing: EAL Level 3 Award in the In-Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment (PAT) 600/4340/4
• Fundamental Inspection and Testing: EAL Level 2 Award in Fundamental Inspection, Testing and Initial Verification 603/0144/2
• Initial Verification: EAL Level 3 Award in the Initial Verification and Certification of Electrical Installations 600/4337/4
• Periodic Inspection and Testing: EAL Level 3 Award in the Periodic Inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations 600/4338/6

At the moment I am looking for work however I have some issues how to....

Please note that I didn't do apprenteship, everything was thought a payed course.

I am hoping to find some work in domestic sector at the moment, however I have difficulties joining a government body scheme. Elecsa and Niceic require 2 years experience which I don't have and Napit offered me to do a competency test, but due to Covid 19 all centres are closed at London and the surrounding areas and I can not afford to drive 5-6 hours and spend a week in some town I never even heard of, both me and my wife made redundant and I really need to find some work. I was planning to do something with my qualification, but I cant even take on any notifiable work as its just way too expensive thought the councils. When I am looking at full time jobs most places are either commercial and require an ECS card or domestic but most companies are looking for someone who is registered with any of the government bodies. I just really don't know what to do, feels like I just waisted all my money and time with this.
I do apologies for all the negativity in my post. Please let me know if you have any advise, it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Peter

if you are considering foing it alone do the smaller domestic jobs that don't require notification to BC. ( there are many electricians out there that do notifiable work but don't bother notifying, just issue a certificate as appropriate. nobody has ever been prosecuted for not notifying unless there has been injury or fire). pick up commercial work as part pee does not apply . once established, then consider joining niceic or one of the other scams.

Hi Telectrix,

Thank you for the info, I was just looking at the ECS card requirements to eventually do commercial also.

I think I am still missing a electro technical level 2 at least to qualify for an electric labourer (2018).

I am even considering just taking a job as a PAT tester at the moment. I also singed up with Checkatrade to do some handyman work, however I would still prefer to be able to take a full time position without being asked if I am a member of a government scam. Hopefully something good will come along until I get more work on my own.

Since they relaxed the Part P coverage in 2013(?) then there is a lot of electrical work that doesn't require notification, if you avoid consumer units and new circuits. Even most bathroom spotlights end up outside the zones so aren't notifiable.

There is also a demand for those sorts of small jobs that the larger electrical contractors won't want to touch.

The issue of course is that there are also handymen doing it, so there is pressure on what prices you can charge. However, it is certainly a good way to build up experience.

It may also be worth getting in touch with local estate agents. There are definitely landlords out there who want reliable contacts to do the sorts of small jobs where a tenant breaks a socket, or RCD is tripping.

Once again it's not the end of the market where you can get away with high rates, but it can be consistent work and good for experience. Then as you build up a reputation, you can start to increase your prices or be pickier as to what work you do.

I picked up a fairly good stream of work when I started with some bathroom/kitchen fitters. Had to learn to work with their bodges and fight my corner when appropriate, but certainly learnt a lot in a short time.

Reply to How to become an electrician? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock