Discuss How to run column radiator as efficiently as possible in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,
We have recently installed column radiators (stelrad regal) pretty much throughout our house during renovation/extension work. We choose steel radiators for the classic design. I knew they would contain more water than traditional radiators but that information isn’t really advertised and I just focussed on btu’s and made sure I oversized them. Now we are still without flooring downstairs, so heat loss will improve once complete.
My concern is the cost of running the system with the upcoming price rises.
My boiler is a worcester green star 24ri with an unvented cylinder. House is now a large 4 bedroom house and on checking meter reading we appear to be using 4 cubic feet per day during January.
Due to amount of water in the system it now takes longer to heat the house and therefore costs more. Any advice on heating the house as efficiently as possible? Or am I screwed?

You now have a larger house, more space to heat with the same size boiler with an incomplete floor. I see nothing unusual here.

Insure all your rads (leave one if no bypass) have TRV’s and turn them down as much as possible. Set the timer not to come on so often eg do you really need it on in the morning before work? Ensure all rads are balanced.

You could also join the sister site ‘plumbers forum’ where all the dopey wet pants hang out. Throw them a few bananas and they may have some further advice.

Hi,
We have recently installed column radiators (stelrad regal) pretty much throughout our house during renovation/extension work. We choose steel radiators for the classic design. I knew they would contain more water than traditional radiators but that information isn’t really advertised and I just focussed on btu’s and made sure I oversized them. Now we are still without flooring downstairs, so heat loss will improve once complete.
When embarking on major work like this you should really recalculate the heating requirements to make sure the boiler can efficiently supply the demand.
While the boiler may have been adequate before extending the property with standard radiators you have now extended the property and therefore added more radiators which increases the amount of water in the system but you have also changed most of the existing radiators to radiators that have a larger water capacity and also "oversized" them as well
My boiler is a worcester green star 24ri with an unvented cylinder. House is now a large 4 bedroom house and on checking meter reading we appear to be using 4 cubic feet per day during January.

Due to amount of water in the system it now takes longer to heat the house and therefore costs more. Any advice on heating the house as efficiently as possible? Or am I screwed?
For a large 4 bedroom house a Worcester 24ri sounds like it maybe a little undersized when you include the water heating in the overall system
Is the unvented cylinder a new addition as part of your renovation work and what size / capacity is the cylinder
As to whether your screwed that all depends on a recalc and maybe a larger boiler

Hi,

Hi There. Column radiators do take much longer to heat as the heated water flows across to bottom of the radiator from flow to return. the heat up the radiator is transferred by Convection (heat rises and then replaces the cooler water). Firstly Is the system balance correctly? nearest radiators to the pump on the 1st floor the lock shield valve almost closed to restrict the flow and as you get further away slightly opening more but NOT fully the ground floor can be almost or fully open, water will take the least path of resistance. Finally does your system have a by pass valve for a pump over run, if so ensure this is NOT fully open.
In conclusion Column radiators are slower inherently to heat.

Reply to How to run column radiator as efficiently as possible in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net