Discuss Identifying an old Wylex CU Breaker in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Marti

-
Arms
Reaction score
I was asked to "just fit a bigger breaker" by a plumber who had installed an electric shower for a customer. Bit surprised he hadn't finished the task but I arrived with a DIN rail full of conventional, spring fitted MCB's. I've seen a fair amount of old kit (East London rentals are full of the stuff) but this was new to me. I've suggested / quoted either a new CU or an external housing with an isolator and RCBO but I'd be interested to know what this was if one of the more experienced heads could identify it. Two images attached. Thanks guys.

Attachments

• 20210514_093510.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 20210514_093513.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 43
They are the Wylex NB range now obsolete. You will be hard pushed to find a breaker above 30/32A on the second hand market.

separate enclosure with RCBO as the shower must be RCD protected. split the CU tails.

Will be stripping three of these boards out in the next few weeks and and combining them in a two tier, SPD and all RCBO hager board.

Looking at 18- 20 circuits, sadly none above 32A.

Is there any value in this Stuff?

Will be stripping three of these boards out in the next few weeks and and combining them in a two tier, SPD and all RCBO hager board.

Looking at 18- 20 circuits, sadly none above 32A.

Is there any value in this Stuff?
For the unusual sizes yes people like this will buy them from you albeit not for what they are selling them at.

I think I’ve got a bucket of old breakers.....

quick rake through the van, found MEM. Are these compatible? Might still have Wylex ones in my store.

3CDA7AF9-C164-4A80-8A8F-C12D6C6CE842.jpeg5B47F2A6-7DE8-496D-9AFD-8AA6902D1B33.jpeg

Last edited:
I think I’ve got a bucket of old breakers.....

quick rake through the van, found MEM. Are these compatible? Might still have Wylex ones in my store.

View attachment 85990View attachment 85991
That's interesting and looks very similar although one of my fears is, as mentioned above, will the thirty year old RCD work and would you trust your reputation or their life to it? Brilliant answers - I may print this and thread and show it to the client whom, I suspect, is wondering why a simple breaker has now gone up ten fold in price (thanks Mr Plumber)!

Last edited:
Just looks through my old breakers and have many 30As but nothing above. This is the difference between the breaker @littlespark showed and the Wylex one, the busbar fitting is a different height and don't really fit.20210522_112100.jpg

Interestingly, quoted the the client with a follow-up to "explain why the "half hour for the sparky to fit a breaker" the plumber had promised before disappearing, had morphed into a board change or external RCD. The client reported "all sorted"! my suspicion is an unsafe connection to the shower but I've done my best.

My old boss had a code for jobs like that. When pricing up he’d say to me ‘This one might be TT’
TT stood for To55er Tax.

When people seem like they might be problematic, or waste time unnecessarily, I've always been inclined to account for that. If they go elsewhere I'll not be upset and if they turn out okay it's easy to charge less that estimated.

Reply to Identifying an old Wylex CU Breaker in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net