Discuss I’m an apprentice - electrocuted under my bosses supervision in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum. I do have another account on here which I would imagine is not allowed by admins - this account will be deleted after this thread, I only made it as I do not want to be identified. If this is not ok please let me know.

I am an apprentice working for a largish electrical/mechanical firm.

We do large industrial jobs, schools, hospitals etc.

Working on a panel under supervision of the electrical supervisor/ following instructions of the supervisor we were lashing in temporary cables to feed a new panel, while we wait for the DNO to swap the mains from old to new.

We were pulling in single core 300mm2 cables to be paralleled (2 for each phase - 8in total)

My boss shut the power off and work began.

Shortly after getting the third cable in (2 had been done by us already) my arm accident lay touched the metal casing of the panel while my hand touched the busbars to feed the cable in.

Apparently this was still live. It threw me to the ground and felt like I was going to have a heart attack. Upon testing the phases these were all still live, even though my boss seemed to think he turned it off (he didn’t actually test, just switched it off and work commenced) I went home early because of this under my bosses instruction and my boss said to anyone who asked “he’s not feeling very well so he’s gone home”.

This man’s mistake nearly cost me my life - he is careless, evidenced by not only the above but other examples too. He rushes and makes mistakes, this is not who I would like to be taught from.

I am just wondering if anyone has had to deal with a situation like this before and what steps did you take going forward?

I do not want to work under this man but feel I don’t have a choice - I am in a household with one other including me. I am the only one working and cannot stop work as bills, rent etc still need to be paid regardless.

But I do genuinely feel if I continue working under this man something similar will happen to me again - and if not me someone else.

Thank you in advance for any replies and apologies it’s so long winded.

And report it to you Employer, their H.R / Health and Safety Dept / Rep if they have one, not your Supervisor.
It's an incident and needs investigating.

Also, not a dig at you, but always test and lock off anything you are working on or near, yourself, don't rely on anyone else saying it's safe.

Well, basically you need to report him. He was the man in charge and should have tested before you worked on it.
It’s not your responsibility as a trainee to do this, whatever stage you are at in training.

Get it documented in the accident book. This is not a “near miss” situation. Ask for employers RIDDOR policy.

If it’s a fairly big firm, and not full of cliques, he will lose his job, not you.

Otherwise, there’s plenty WTABTAC solicitors that would love to take your case.

But as above, get checked out. Then it’s documented in an official sense with NHS

And Electrocution is execution by electricity.
If you’re still alive, then it’s a nasty shock.

It would be bad enough for someone to assume they have isolated it and work on it themselves, to put a trainee in that situation is frankly appalling.
You say "phases" - it sounds like it could have been a 400v shock which are often fatal so thank heavens you lived to tell the tale.
Follow the advice above - if nothing changes this could easily happen again. It's definitely an accident that is legally reportable.

I appreciate all the advice everyone. Sitting in my car, going to wad to a and e in about 5 mins.

Definitely learnt my lesson to not listen when someone says something is dead and to always check for yourself - given that it all goes well at a and e, I’m going to head to the company office (5 mins down the road from me) and request I personally speak to HR.

Will see where it goes from there.

Do you think it is also worth reporting to the builders we are currently subcontracted to Aswell? (Galiford try)

@timhoward you are correct. This was a three phase panel - with a current rating of 1600amps so I do wonder how I’m alive. Never thought I’d have to ask myself that but here we are.

Thanks again to everyone for all of your helpful advice. It really has been useful.

Thank you.

Well, if you ever wonder how electrical workers get killed, here is a perfect example. The difference between the OP still being able to communicate and death or life changing injuries is miniscule.
Hope you get sorted out at A&E. Please though heed the advice, trust no-one when it comes to isolation. If you are not directly in charge of the lock off key and you are expected to work on "dead" equipment, check regularly. Fortunately i have not been in a situation where i could not control the environment so appreciate the difficulty this poses.

Hi,

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum. I do have another account on here which I would imagine is not allowed by admins - this account will be deleted after this thread, I only made it as I do not want to be identified. If this is not ok please let me know.

I am an apprentice working for a largish electrical/mechanical firm.

We do large industrial jobs, schools, hospitals etc.

Working on a panel under supervision of the electrical supervisor/ following instructions of the supervisor we were lashing in temporary cables to feed a new panel, while we wait for the DNO to swap the mains from old to new.

We were pulling in single core 300mm2 cables to be paralleled (2 for each phase - 8in total)

My boss shut the power off and work began.

Shortly after getting the third cable in (2 had been done by us already) my arm accident lay touched the metal casing of the panel while my hand touched the busbars to feed the cable in.

Apparently this was still live. It threw me to the ground and felt like I was going to have a heart attack. Upon testing the phases these were all still live, even though my boss seemed to think he turned it off (he didn’t actually test, just switched it off and work commenced) I went home early because of this under my bosses instruction and my boss said to anyone who asked “he’s not feeling very well so he’s gone home”.

This man’s mistake nearly cost me my life - he is careless, evidenced by not only the above but other examples too. He rushes and makes mistakes, this is not who I would like to be taught from.

I am just wondering if anyone has had to deal with a situation like this before and what steps did you take going forward?

I do not want to work under this man but feel I don’t have a choice - I am in a household with one other including me. I am the only one working and cannot stop work as bills, rent etc still need to be paid regardless.

But I do genuinely feel if I continue working under this man something similar will happen to me again - and if not me someone else.

Thank you in advance for any replies and apologies it’s so long winded.
The only reason you are not seriously damaged or dead is that you only received a 230volt single phase live to earth shock if you had a 415-volt encounter between 2 phases you would have been cooked and the marrow within your bones would be destroyed a life-changing experience you must report this incident! Ihope you are ok you don't need wishing good luck as you have plenty of that already not many sparks get away as lightly as you have

YOu received a bad electric shock ... Thank God you where Not "Electrocuted " as you would not be able to post due to either been dead or really messed up in A&E . Take legal advice . I was in a commercial property 30 years ago and a Father of a man who was Terribly Electrocuted was the first on scene attending to his son . I did not get to see much and honestly did not want to . He was really messy

First things first get yourself checked out to make sure everything is OK and then it needs to be reported.
How things have changed. I had a couple of shocks under supervision too, once was on purpose. Although it seems serious now we laughed it off at the time. Times have changed for the better. Madess

YOu received a bad electric shock ... Thank God you where Not "Electrocuted " as you would not be able to post due to either been dead or really messed up in A&E . Take legal advice . I was in a commercial property 30 years ago and a Father of a man who was Terribly Electrocuted was the first on scene attending to his son . I did not get to see much and honestly did not want to . He was really messy

It doesn't matter that the poor guy has incorrectly used the word 'electrocuted' . Semantics can wait until we know he's alright - he's probably still in shock.

Please let us know how you got on at A&E, in terms of employer, it will be interesting to see how they deal with this. If all is as read, then i would expect the guy in charge to receive a written warning and sent for re-training. Quite frankly getting a belt off an adjacent cct when you are working say above a ceiling or other poorly maintained / installed installation is an everyday risk in the comm and industrial world BUT pulling heavy cables around an exposed busbar chamber is as about as obvious as it gets to prove and maintain isolation so i cannot imagine how anything other than negligence was at play here.
By all means PM me or other experienced members here for advice on a practical level how to protect yourself in an environment where you are not in control of what is being switched on and off.
An example where i have been a contractor on a large industrial site where the point of isolation was some distance from where i was working, i lacked confidence that my lock would not be tampered with so i not only locked off the isolator, i removed the fuses (and kept them in my toolbox) and removed the outgoing cables from the isolator, lol - call me paranoid but sometimes you just have that feeling that the danger level is too high..

Reply to I’m an apprentice - electrocuted under my bosses supervision in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net