Discuss I’m looking for the exact terms for these devices in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all :)
I teach Electricity in France.
With my english teacher, we want to create an activity for our student.

The goal for students is to describe an electrical object to other.
The other student has to find the object.

I have some difficulty to find the best name for each object.
Can you tell me if we need to change their name ?

Thank you for your help

Best regard
Christophe

Attachments

• Page 1 -LR.png
    668.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Page 2 -LR.png
    679.9 KB · Views: 45
You might struggle with this as few of those objects have 'just one name' and what they represent is not always clear

No 6, to me could be any type of motor, I don't know how you can say it is an asynchronous one.

No 8 and 9, which you have as "isolated" screwdrivers, if they were intended for live working they would (at least in the UK) have red or red/yellow handles, and be known as "VDE" screwdrivers. Your photos to me are just normal screwdrivers (philips, flat).

No 13 looks like what we call a "tape measure". I've never heard of a "flexometer".

Hi,
thank your for your help, i will change it.

I have a real problem with numbers : 10, 11, 15, 16 (a real problem with it), 17, 20, 21 and 23.
Maybe they are ok but i need a confirmation.

Thank you
Christophe

20: MCB= miniture circuit breaker= Disconjoncture.
21: Timer switch
23: Is a bit confusing, it looks like a three phase junction, but is nether an MCB (disconjoncture) or RCD ( diconjoncture differential).

This site if opened in Google can be translated to English in Settings: Mise à la terre d'une installation électrique - https://www.schema-electrique.net/mise-a-la-terre-installation-electrique-norme-NF-C-15-100.html#Comment-installer-liaison-equipotent and will give you all you need, scroll to the bottom of the page and its lists all equipment in a French installation.

Last edited:
6: Induction motor. Asynchronous is not wrong, but we normally call them induction motors. (I agree with the above post that there is no definite indication that the motor is an induction type but the 99% of motors that look like that are inductions)
7: RCD (residual current device)
8 & 9: In English we use both the words 'insulated' and 'isolated' but there is a difference in meaning to 'isolé.' 'Insulated' means covered in an insulating material like plastic, but 'isolated' means switched-off or disconnected. So a screwdriver with an approved plastic-covered shaft for electrical work is an 'insulated screwdriver'.
21: Is a timer as per Mike Johnson but it's worth mentioning that the 'push on - push off' type of staircase light control using a télérupteur is not really used in the UK. So we don't have a special name for that kind of staircase light control.
24: Is indeed a cylindrical fuse-link but we would much more commonly call it a cartridge fuse.

@Mike Johnson #20 looks to be a contactor as it has A1 and A2 terminals.

Not forgetting that most any MCB/RCD/RCBO are dual pole in France.

téléfupteur and parafondrue for thee way wired as per UK type lighting circuits. 🥴

My momentary switch explanation and DDR and DCR explanation comment seems to have disappeared.

20 is a contactor, as Lucien says, but I would refer to this particular type as a single module DIN mounting type.
I've used 21 on a few jobs, and have referred to it as a "timed off DIN module for use with retractive switches" at the wholesalers. Rare in the UK, but a better solution than a couple of 2W switches and multiple intermediates.
1 is a triple pole MCB. Circuit breaker could refer to a switch.

Last edited:
Not forgetting that most any MCB/RCD/RCBO are dual pole in France.

téléfupteur and parafondrue for thee way wired as per UK type lighting circuits. 🥴

My momentary switch explanation and DDR and DCR explanation comment seems to have disappeared.
Too late to edit, but a parafondrue is for Lightning protection so "surge protector", and telerupteur is the correct spelling should no have an "f" in it. 🤔

19 I would say a specific “ON” push button.
Green for on, red for off. (Go, stop)

And if I’m being specific/ pedantic…. Those are WERA insulated screwdrivers. You can tell by the handle pattern… although green handles are usually non insulated… VDE being red/ yellow

😉

Hi all !
Thank you so much for your help !

It is really hard to find the best and usual name for all that objects !

This is the last version !
Are you all OK ?

Attachments

• Page 1 -LR.png
    276.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Page 2 -LR.png
    278.7 KB · Views: 14
20 is a contactor, as Lucien says, but I would refer to this particular type as a single module DIN mounting type.
I've used 21 on a few jobs, and have referred to it as a "timed off DIN module for use with retractive switches" at the wholesalers. Rare in the UK, but a better solution than a couple of 2W switches and multiple intermediates.
1 is a triple pole MCB. Circuit breaker could refer to a switch.
Actually the term circuit breaker replaced the term MCB when the 16th Edition was withdrawn and the 17th Edition in force. So in my opinion circuit breaker is the correct term to use. I would agree that triple pole would be more usual than three pole though.

Hello all !
Thank you so much for your help.

This is the last version. Still some questions ....
Do you know the group : Legrand (image 1, 2, 7, 20, 21 and 23)
23 : should i call it industrial control transformer or just transformer ?
19 : just push button or industrial push button ?
15 : Electrical insulated gloves or electrical gloves ?
07 : you usual call it RCD ?
06 : no idea ... motor or induction motor or something else ...
And finally 3 : Thermal overload relays or just thermal relays (like in France : relais thermique)

thank you for your help !

Christophe

Attachments

• Page 1 -LR.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • Page 2 -LR.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
As the subject of the questions are all electrical, I don't think you need to say "electrical" in any of the answers....

ie.

15- I would just say "Insulated gloves"

06- "industrial motor" ?? You might find small electrical motors in lots of other things, but id describe that one as 'industrial'

12 - I did a reverse image search, and came up with "Smart Meter" which looks very similar.

21 - I think you need to add its a staircase "timer" switch. As it shows a dial with times on it as a clue

18 - Specify "light" switch

02 - is one of these MPCB MPX³ 32S - thermal magnetic - motor protection - 3P - 17 A - 20 kA - https://www.legrand.com/ecatalogue/417312-mpcb-mpx-32s-thermal-magnetic.html

03 - Just "Overload Relay", as mentioned here Schneider LRD07 O/L RELAY 1.6-2.5A | Kempston Controls - https://www.kempstoncontrols.co.uk/LRD07/Schneider/sku/147173

10 - Cable shears as apposed to side cutters. Compare shape of the cutting blade if you google either of those.

23 - "Industrial Transformer" Searching the part number Legrand 423 02 only brings up Transformer...

Reply to I’m looking for the exact terms for these devices in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net