Discuss In line bathroom fans in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Steve T

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking to replace our ceiling bathroom fan with an inline fan, for a higher extraction rate of condensation. I have a few questions about which fan to pick, and it's installation.

Here is a link to the fan I was thinking of getting:Manrose 4" Inch (100mm) MixFlo Extractor Fan with Timer - https://www.voltelectrical.co.uk/products/Ventilation/Extractor+Fans/Manrose+4%22+Inch+(100mm)+MixFlo+Extractor+Fan+with+Timer/2576180905?gclid=Cj0KEQjwi7vIBRDpo9W8y7Ct6ZcBEiQA1CwV2FAfanu4AHueuqK494GfumudrOWT4GHp0qQ1w-wTTSgaApUB8P8HAQ
What are your opinions of this fan?

Also, in regards to installing it, can it be installed horizontally or vertically?
Is there a preference? I was thinking of installing it vertically, to prevent any water collecting in the bottom.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Well you will need to incorporate a condensation trap or get insulated ducting for it. You might consider a humidity switch somewhere in the plan.

How's the air gap under the door? If it's not got a decent airflow, a new fan won't make much difference!

How long is the run to the outlet vent?

The minimal noise part of that is the baffles in the 'waist' of it. Better suited to horizontal but plan the route of the extract to make it as short as possible. Some promote waste pipe instead of the usual. Regular checks are a must as well.
My sisters sounded like all was working but all it was doing was pushing air towards a big belly pipe of condensate water. Better planned route and fixing and a maintenance schedule £30 please (and a piece of cake!)

If you go for this type of fan I would look at on without timer as if chosen to switch via h/stat this usually has override timer incorporated also just go with one with fixed speed.

Thanks for all the replies. There is about 3metres of insulated flexible ducting, from the current fan to the outlet in the roof. The flexible ducting is pretty much vertical, so having the inline fan vertical would make a shorter run.

As for the air gap under the door, it's about 5mm.
Thanks for the suggestion of the humidistat, would it mean that the fan only comes on if there is steam in the room? I'll consider it, but I've just looked them up and they're rather expensive- I've got two fans to do, so I want to keep to cost down.

As for the air gap under the door, it's about 5mm.
Thanks for the suggestion of the humidistat, would it mean that the fan only comes on if there is steam in the room? I'll consider it, but I've just looked them up and they're rather expensive- I've got two fans to do, so I want to keep to cost down.

Humidistat fans are useful for bathrooms with no window or wet rooms. For standard bathrooms a timer fan should suffice. If the fan is centrifugal you can run the ducting over 28m insulated of course. If you can't reach a tile vent I'd opt for a soffit grill as you can usually put these 2m away from the fan adjacent to the bathroom window.

Humidistat fans are useful for bathrooms with no window or wet rooms. For standard bathrooms a timer fan should suffice. If the fan is centrifugal you can run the ducting over 28m insulated of course. If you can't reach a tile vent I'd opt for a soffit grill as you can usually put these 2m away from the fan adjacent to the bathroom window.
There already is a tile vent,3 metres vertically, and the bathrooms I'm looking to install these fans in have a window.

If at all possible I do installs with inline fans and rigid ducting.

For your install it sounds like you've got the right plan. The duct run is so short I wouldn't bother swapping it to rigid from what you've already got. The fan is decent enough, I like the soler and palau fans as they're very quiet and never seem to break. :)

Reply to In line bathroom fans in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net