Currently reading:
Increase mcb capacity. Notifiable?

Discuss Increase mcb capacity. Notifiable? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

But what if the OP is converting 2 radials to a RFC? That would be creating a new circuit.
I can see where you are coming from, but me personally, a new circuit that I sign of as new is new cable from the DB. I would consider it a modification and in this case it maybe a broken ring but OP has not confirmed rn & r2 yet AFAIK. Out of interest, would you genuinely notify on this.... really?

Yes I would notify and have in similar circumstances.

To be specific when finding a fault on a ring and converting to 2 x radial ccts by disconnecting the damaged cable where raplacement was not feasable. I converted it to 1x20A radial and 1x 16A radial, as far as I am concerned that is 2x new ccts.

Yes I would notify and have in similar circumstances.

To be specific when finding a fault on a ring and converting to 2 x radial ccts by disconnecting the damaged cable where raplacement was not feasable. I converted it to 1x20A radial and 1x 16A radial, as far as I am concerned that is 2x new ccts.

Ok, fair enough. If OP's situation turns out to be broken ring and he rectifies break and installs 32A MCB, would you notify that?

Yes, I would notify. Because:

Section 0, Table 1 (Work that need NOT be notified)

Notes -
(a) On condition that the replacement cable has the same current-carrying capacity and follows the same route
(b) If the circuit's protective measures are unaffected

By reconnecting the two cables to create a RFC you directly affect (a) and in changing the OCPD you affect (b).

Now, before you all jump on the bandwagon and make comments about the specific lines those notes refer to, I think it's fairly clear what is actually meant, even though as badly worded as you'll usually find in any Government document.

If it's a like for like replacement no, same route same size cable . But the OP hasn't confirmed anything yet.

It's not like for like! It's changing a 20A OCPD for a 32/30A OCPD with completely different Zs limits to comply with ADS.

Besides......it's £1.50 and few seconds online - is it really THAT big a deal to notify it just to be safe???

Besides......it's £1.50 and few seconds online - is it really THAT big a deal to notify it just to be safe???
Safe from who or what???? Why don't we just notify every job we do just to be safe. Tests and competence provide safety, not a notification. This may well just be a broken ring that is to be repaired. Test and certification definatly.

Come back JRC all is forgiven :grouphug:

Safe from who or what???? Why don't we just notify every job we do just to be safe. Tests and competence provide safety, not a notification. This may well just be a broken ring that is to be repaired. Test and certification definatly.

Safe from accusations of failing to notify work.
I can't remember the exact wording at the moment but I think the terms and conditions of ELECSA registration are that all jobs must be registered with them via their notification system, I don't think they specify that you only register part p notifiable jobs.

But in any case nobody bothers to police part P so just take the money and get back on Tonto!

I can't remember the exact wording at the moment but I think the terms and conditions of ELECSA registration are that all jobs must be registered with them via their notification system, I don't think they specify that you only register part p notifiable jobs.

But in any case nobody bothers to police part P so just take the money and get back on Tonto!
If it is not a notifiable job there is nothing to notify.

Why on earth would anyone want to notify every single job?!?!
These schemes etc have really got some of you lot tucked up in their pockets!
In this case, if it is a broken RFC, the Electrician fixes it, tests out OK, fit a 32A breaker, safer than when it was found, job done!
Why create unnecessary admin/expense at the Council and another (however small) justification for the Schemes existence.

If that were the case, then it would be a broken ring, wouldn't it? It wouldn't be two separate legs (at present) supplied from a 20A OCPD. Or, it may be a broken ring which was designed (for whatever reason) to be supplied from a 20A OCPD.

Either way, it is what it is at present - which according to the OP is two radials fed from a 20A OCPD, and could have been that way for a very long time.

Why on earth would anyone want to notify every single job?!?!
These schemes etc have really got some of you lot tucked up in their pockets!
In this case, if it is a broken RFC, the Electrician fixes it, tests out OK, fit a 32A breaker, safer than when it was found, job done!
Why create unnecessary admin/expense at the Council and another (however small) justification for the Schemes existence.

Nobody, least of all me, is talking about notifying every job. The OP asked the question of whether it is notifiable work to change an OCPD - and in my opinion it is, for the reasons stated. Simples.

like you say its completely unpoliced and no one cares. What a shambles

Good God is this still going on, mind you i have just added to it now ssssssugar

Stop it oh s.... done it again :sifone:

Thanks for the information! My client has decided to go with a new CU. I can let you know the outcome of the fault when I start the work.

Thanks for your interest.

Thanks for the information! My client has decided to go with a new CU. I can let you know the outcome of the fault when I start the work.

Thanks for your interest.
And EXACTLY how is this going to help? Are you going to answer the numerous suggestions to fully test the circuit(s) in question??

Reply to Increase mcb capacity. Notifiable? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock