Currently reading:
Increase mcb capacity. Notifiable?

Discuss Increase mcb capacity. Notifiable? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

I gave her a quote for every outcome. Reconnecting the circuit if it was loose. Replacing the damaged wiring and increasing the circuit protector. And or replacing the CU and sorting the rest of the apartment. They want to sell it so she'd like the new CU

I gave her a quote for every outcome. Reconnecting the circuit if it was loose. Replacing the damaged wiring and increasing the circuit protector. And or replacing the CU and sorting the rest of the apartment. They want to sell it so she'd like the new CU
I would have quoted her to test and investigate the circuit before I did ANYTHING else.

She got that quote. I just don't see the sense of charging her to test it, then going away and doing a further quote. I could see the potential outcomes when I identified where the circuit was broken. My mistake was assuming the circuit was irrevocably broken as it had the 20amp. I recommended a new CU on the spot but then what if it was just a loose connection..

She got that quote. I just don't see the sense of charging her to test it, then going away and doing a further quote. I could see the potential outcomes when I identified where the circuit was broken. My mistake was assuming the circuit was irrevocably broken as it had the 20amp. I recommended a new CU on the spot but then what if it was just a loose connection..
But you don't know what the score is do you?

Why I came on here looking for advice I suppose. I operate well within the law as an electrician. Difficult to see why I can't get some simple advice. It took ages for anyone to find a definitive answer.

Last edited:
The simple advice is to test and find the faults first!

How many times do people come on here and say changed CU and for some reason
the RCD will not hold .

IMO and many others test first before you end up with the problem and look well not very professional!
CU Change - Ring Tripping RCD Low IR Just one of the many examples

Why I came on here looking for advice Isuppose. I operate well within the law as an electrician. Difficult to see whyI can't get some simple advice. It took ages for anyone to find a definitiveanswer.

The ADVICE was given re the information that you posted .
You actually stated in your first post that you were in a HURRY and made ASSUMPTIONS so the replies that followed were based on your assumptions with your main concern being around the work being notifiable or not !
Post 9 & 12 on the first page gave this information.

Rant over !

Good Luck

Went to a house yesterday where the customer was complaining of a tripping fuse on the kitchen circuit.

Got there and found the kitchen wired to a 20amp plug in MCB. The kitchen was not on a ring despite 2 wires being present in the board.

I confirmed a break in the circuit but didn't resolve wether it was a disconnected wire or a break somewhere. I was in a hurry I have to admit and made the assumption that someone with some insight deliberately derated the circuit to account for there being an irreconcilable break so I ruled out a loose wire.

I advised that she would require a new fuse board if I was to make good the wiring in the kitchen. Afterwoods however I wondered if perhaps there was a loose connection.

If so and I repaired this could I upgrade the capacity of the MCB to 32amp under current regs?

cheers.

I don't know how some people can sleep at night.
You sir are a con man of the worse kind.

And we wonder why domestic electricians get a bad reputation for fleecing customers.

this may as well be locked now. he had all relevant answers very early on, and any more comments are just pointless IMO.
oh, and I agree 100% Tony

Can see the conversation right now

Customer "the electrics in my kitchen keep blowing my fuse"

Spynage " I am not too sure what is causing it, I will go away and people on the internet"

Next day, phone rings

Customer "hello"

spynage "hi it's the electrician, I think it's a loose connection. To repair it I need to change your fuse board. But people on the internet tell me I may not have too until I find the fault. But I can make more money doing it this way"

Customer " oh that's ok just do it you seem very good at what you do"

I don't know how some people can sleep at night.
You sir are a con man of the worse kind.

And we wonder why domestic electricians get a bad reputation for fleecing customers.
Slam Dunk :sifone:

Let me give some of the self employed sparks here a business lesson. No one will ever pull you up for making something safer. It is a good opportunity to upgrade DB, makes install safer and is work for OP. Tony you should know better, how hypocritical of you, you state in previous threads that you worked for a multi national company, I guarantee they would have sold any product / service they could push, required or not, for the best margin possible, and you were a cog in that machine. Also imagine this conversation:

OP: Doctor, I can't sleep for worrying
Doctor: What is your worry?
OP: I may of added 30ma RCD protection to a clients house.
Doctor: Is that bad
OP: No, it makes it safer
Doctor: GET OUT!!

lol......

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me give some of the self employed sparks here a business lesson. No one will ever pull you up for making something safer. It is a good opportunity to upgrade DB, makes install safer and is work for OP. Tony you should know better, how hypocritical of you, you state in previous threads that you worked for a multi national company, I guarantee they would have sold any product / service they could push, required or not, for the best margin possible, and you were a cog in that machine. Also imagine this conversation:

lol......
And I'll give you a reply, I wouldn't commit a price for anything and that would include full testing and identifying the "perceived" issue. Quoting to replace a CU when you know you have a fault is a BAD idea IMHO.

lol......

The OP stated in his first post that he told the customer they would require a CU change following rectification work. This is lie and a con as there are cheaper, simpler ways to provide RCD protection to a circuit as you well know. It's this that is being talked about.

Sweet baby jesus and the orphans 136 post's

lol......

I’ve run three private businesses unconnected to the electrical trade.

I’ll tell you now, I never sold anything without the customer being in full possession of the facts. As a member of two professional bodies I had a reputation to maintain. A reputation I valued and guarded.

Don’t even try to give me a lecture in business ethics.

If I was the op I would change all the sockets. Fuse board. Next doors board in case that was interfering. Then get on my horse and ride into the sunset shouting hi Ho silver away whilst carrying a large cheque

Reply to Increase mcb capacity. Notifiable? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock