Discuss Individual rcd's in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

W

wattsup

Can anyone help; I have a potential customer who wants individual rcd protection on all circuits (approx 8 of)

I have fitted them a few years ago, but can't remember manufacturer, I do remember each rcd takes up two spaces in the consumer unit.

Can they still be used? All I can find is the split load stuff.
Expensive no doubt, but that's what the guy wants.

Can anyone point me to a supplier link..if they are still available

Or could all breakers be rcbo, on a normal consumer unit, is that allowed? Showers etc..

RCBO the sucker. Will cost a bit though. Could you talk him into a 3way RCD board, would be a bit cheaper.

Thanks guys, maybe rcbo is the answer, I just have this niggle rcd must be used for shower, kitchen ring etc. Are rcbo's a better option, are they better/safer than an rcd? More to the point will they pass the 17th part p

Spark doc, I don't understand what you mean 3-way rcd board, I need 8 ways minimum.

rcbo, Yep I know expensive, 30 quidish per unit but hey if that is what the guy wants, looking at 300 quid just for the consumer unit complete with the said rcbo's. Oh well. But to be honest if money no probs, thats the way I would go for my own property, a bit ott but hey I can see why it is a good idea

RCBO,S are fine for the 17th and you should be able to get the for around £15 per one..

edit ... about £20 per one is the best price i think you will find

Last edited by a moderator:
i think spark doctor were saying (correct me if i'm wrong) that instead of 8 x rcbo's having a 3 way would mean, 2 circuits one 1, 3 circuits on each of the other 2 ways??? 2 + 3 + 3.......
....i cud be wrong

Its the only way of getting total segregation of circuits (which I take it he wants) so I suppose inconvenience is kept to a minimum.

Obviously an RCBO is just a combined RCD and MCB so they are no safer than fitting an mcb on an RCD protected board but have the advantage of having seperation of circuit protection in the case of nuisance tripping.

sorry if it all sounds like rubbish but i've had a few :) I blame the olympics being on so late lol

Trouble with filling a domestic consumer unit with RCBO's is space. They are only as wide as an MCB, but twice as tall. You then have neutral and functional earth cables to dress neatly, as well as the rest of the cables. Plus, on some of the things (esp. Crabtree) it's very difficult to get the neutrals securely terminated whilst the RCBO is on the rail - you really need to do this with it out as it's tucked right behind the thing at the back, and there really isn't a lot of room. So if you are filling the box with them on every circuit you are going to have th devil of a job to do it neatly. Plus if you don't have a meter that likes testing RCBO's for Zs without tripping the thing, you have to put an MCB in to perform the test anyway and swap it back afterwards.

I'd personally go for a twin RCD board - cheaper for the customer, no less safe and certainly easier for the installation and testing part for you!

Trouble with filling a domestic consumer unit with RCBO's is space. They are only as wide as an MCB, but twice as tall. You then have neutral and functional earth cables to dress neatly, as well as the rest of the cables. Plus, on some of the things (esp. Crabtree) it's very difficult to get the neutrals securely terminated whilst the RCBO is on the rail - you really need to do this with it out as it's tucked right behind the thing at the back, and there really isn't a lot of room. So if you are filling the box with them on every circuit you are going to have th devil of a job to do it neatly. Plus if you don't have a meter that likes testing RCBO's for Zs without tripping the thing, you have to put an MCB in to perform the test anyway and swap it back afterwards.

I'd personally go for a twin RCD board - cheaper for the customer, no less safe and certainly easier for the installation and testing part for you!

Thanks for the heads-up GIL, useful information to know. Also, if anybody cares - the Crabtree Type B RCBOs are coming out this September.

hopefully in time the rcbo prices will come down further..not right now or in todays climate..
but they are really useful..i dont really like putting lighting circuits on rcds...regardless to the ole upstairs lights and downstairs socketson one rcd anmd vice versa on the other...its still trip happy lamps and bulbs that the regular customer doesnt understand..no matter how many times you explain to some too..
at least with rcbo's its all seperates like the old days!!..
just so darn expensive...but what isnt nowadays...

Reply to Individual rcd's in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock