Discuss induction hob leaking to earth in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

hmmmnz

-
Reaction score
hi guys,
fun story, i managed to give myself a wee shock from a new induction hob.
(its in my house, not a customers)
its temp fitted while a granite work top is being cut,
i went to shift it back wards putting my hand on the metal case and got a shock,

weirdly, the rcd hadnt tripped, even though all the earths are connected,#
the voltage measured 105v ac to the isolator earth (although it sort of felt like a dc shock)

this happened with the hob off but the isolator on.

any clues what the issue could be?

cheers

105V is sufficiently near half of 230V to show how the L-E and N-E capacitors in the suppressor work as a voltage divider. It will often be below half, as there is also stray capacitance and leakage to earth.

FWIW, by knowing this principle, one could easily concoct a plausible story about a disconnected CPC.

Reminds me of my first electric handshake I received from an equipment trolley .... IEC 320 + shoddy cable ....
( has it got anything to do with the EU )

Nah I havnt checked continuity to the consumer unit.
I'll do that tonight

So it's the capacitors that actually cause the problem.
Cool.
Cheers guys.

Had the same issue once with a washing machine where you'd get a light tingle from the hinge to the door, checked it out the earth wasn't connected in the socket.

AV equipment, especially satellite receivers etc, are notorious for this.

Well everything was correctly earthed from the hob back, so that just left the hob itself.
Pulled it apart, and sure enough it was missing the earth from the external connector.
So added one,
And happy days all good.

So much for quality control :)

Also no gas to the village I live in, so no gas anything ;)
Heat pump for heating and solar hot water,

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated

Reply to induction hob leaking to earth in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock