Discuss Industrial Unit Earthing Arrangement - Lack of in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
We’re in the process of replacing the 3 phase installation in our premises, the electrician that came said we should contact Western Power and request a PME, Western Power have said they can’t, we have also asked if they can supply a main earth terminal for us to connect to - they say they can’t.
Currently the only earthing arrangement we have is as follows:
Main bonding from cold water pipe goes to terminal in 3 phase isolator, 3 phase and single phase board has 10mm earth to isolator.
There is no earth from the isolator to anywhere, guess it just uses the SWA of the main incoming 3 phase cable that comes into the isolator.
Electrician says there should be a MET near our incoming supply with a 25mm earth cable from there to the isolator and I presume onwards to the new 3 phase board.
He did say something about using an earth rod if it was a house but thought it a bit impractical due to the size needed for our supply given we are on a concrete and tarmac industrial estate.
Can I have some advice please before I speak to him again.

We’re in the process of replacing the 3 phase installation in our premises, the electrician that came said we should contact Western Power and request a PME, Western Power have said they can’t, we have also asked if they can supply a main earth terminal for us to connect to - they say they can’t.
Currently the only earthing arrangement we have is as follows:
Main bonding from cold water pipe goes to terminal in 3 phase isolator, 3 phase and single phase board has 10mm earth to isolator.
There is no earth from the isolator to anywhere, guess it just uses the SWA of the main incoming 3 phase cable that comes into the isolator.
Electrician says there should be a MET near our incoming supply with a 25mm earth cable from there to the isolator and I presume onwards to the new 3 phase board.
He did say something about using an earth rod if it was a house but thought it a bit impractical due to the size needed for our supply given we are on a concrete and tarmac industrial estate.
Can I have some advice please before I speak to him again.
Yes, get a different Electrician

Can you show a pic of your supply intake.

Where's that 'main incoming cable' coming from?
Being swa….is it an authority cable or a sub main?

Pictures here hopefully, here’s the cut out and isolator in the distribution room which happens to be on the opposite side of the wall to our unit, and the internal view of our isolator switch in the unit.

Industrial Unit Earthing Arrangement - Lack of 49CE9FCC-473D-4B65-84E8-6184D9212B32 - EletriciansForums.net

Industrial Unit Earthing Arrangement - Lack of BB1CA6AF-D7D5-42CD-B825-94FD753F2250 - EletriciansForums.net

Industrial Unit Earthing Arrangement - Lack of 10009494-F170-418E-AD65-A217DBCD1347 - EletriciansForums.net

Is that trunking above the service head.

The isolator switch that is open is in our unit, the 3P & N supply cable in the top is from the DNO isolator next door in the meter room, the grey bit on top of the switch is not trunking - it’s the cover for the rewireable fuses on the single phase board, the 3 phase board has been removed from our unit hence no cables on the outgoing RYB phases, the single phase tap off the yellow is to a single phase rewireable fuse consumer unit, the earth cable you can see in the bottom comes from said single phase consumer unit, which incidentally is where the main bond to the cold water pipe is, the hot water currently has none nor does the steel mezzanine floor.
Managed to get hold of our chap but he can’t get out until Monday so I’m interested in any advice before then, I know it’s difficult, here’s a shot of what’s in the unit - the 3 phase panel has now gone as it was snagging the stairs

Industrial Unit Earthing Arrangement - Lack of DA4F0CF8-7357-4465-9152-2086612259AA - EletriciansForums.net

Industrial Unit Earthing Arrangement - Lack of 5BEF374D-5D17-48D3-BB1D-CC8CF6F566B6 - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:
Best advice is to get an EICR done.

Best get a different electrician as I am not confident the one you are talking to knows what he is on about.

I find it very hard to believe that that the DNO can not provide you with an earth terminal on what looks to be a reasonably modern industrial building.

It’s part granite and part breeze block, Western Power planning department said the network didn’t support it and it wasn’t their job to provide a MET, see what the man says on Monday I suppose and I’ll report back

Keep us posted.

Well took a little longer to get here but seems we’re running a 35mm earth cable through the wall and expanding an earth block that was hidden away in the distribution room, seems weird even back in the 80s that they just put a 6mm earth cable from the consumer unit to the isolator but guess it must have been ok back in the day!

Reply to Industrial Unit Earthing Arrangement - Lack of in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock