Discuss Install within agricultural sector? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Been trying to work out if I can legally install a 240 panel with 24v outputs within a poultry farm as an addition. I have zero qualifications but am prepared to train. From what I’ve read so far you just need to be competent, which leads to which qualifications would prove this ? Would the work need to be signed off?

I’m looking along the lines of a fast track course, if you know any companies I could approach for information that would be great !
Thanks in advance

Been trying to work out if I can legally install a 240 panel with 24v outputs within a poultry farm as an addition. I have zero qualifications but am prepared to train. From what I’ve read so far you just need to be competent, which leads to which qualifications would prove this ? Would the work need to be signed off?

I’m looking along the lines of a fast track course, if you know any companies I could approach for information that would be great !
Thanks in advance
Coming on here saying things like that, will get you loads of help I'm sure, sorry for being blunt, but many on here have worked hard to get qualified and experienced.

Even with proper training it will take you years to be trained to a standard required to design istallations in an agricultural environment, which is in itself a special location in the wiring regulations.

whilsrt it might be desirable to kill off farmers, i don't think it's allowed. get someone qualified and experienced in agricultural work to do this. you couls assist and learn as well.

I beleive most of the "fast track" courses only cater for domestic installation. For commercial, I don't think you can fast track into that. Commercial work is relatively unregulated. However there are statutes that apply such as EAWR and H&S act requiring skill and training as well as experience. Any insurance you have would be invalidated if you did the work.

This is exactly what I’m trying to establish because getting clear cut information on the commercial industry is a struggle. I didn’t think it would be easy just being pressured by my boss and going by information that people have given myself !
Though to gain experience could I shadow a electrician a couple of times and then be classed as experienced as the job will be near enough identical no matter on location ? In my opinion it seems best to leave it to the professionals as stated but in terms of investing in the future to be competent what would have to be done ?
Obviously the best option is to do an NVQ be an apprentice and learn but its not viable and doesn’t make sense, hence why I asked about the fast track, these companies have led me to be believe that I would be above board after completion of one of those courses. So I’m grateful for the replies confirming what I thought.

Last edited:
Though to gain experience could I shadow a electrician a couple of times and then be classed as experienced

Think more like 3 years to gain formal qualifications plus a couple of years on the job.
Only then MIGHT you be considered as experienced.

This is exactly what I’m trying to establish because getting clear cut information on the commercial industry is a struggle. I didn’t think it would be easy just being pressured by my boss and going by information that people have given myself !
Though to gain experience could I shadow a electrician a couple of times and then be classed as experienced as the job will be near enough identical no matter on location ? In my opinion it seems best to leave it to the professionals as stated but in terms of investing in the future to be competent what would have to be done ?
Obviously the best option is to do an NVQ be an apprentice and learn but its not viable and doesn’t make sense, hence why I asked about the fast track, these companies have led me to be believe that I would be above board after completion of one of those courses. So I’m grateful for the replies confirming what I thought.
these fast track courses lead to becoming a Domestic Installer, NOT an Electrician. as the name implies, you'd only be able to work in the domestic sector.and don'tlisten to the claims that you can earn £50k/annum. you could do if you undercut all the competition and worked 7 12 hour days/weeek.

If the task is to be repeated I suggest that your boss considers setting up a contract (by tender?) with a suitably qualified and experienced local firm. You might find that it's cheaper than you (he?) thinks when all the training, equipment and insurance costs are taken into consideration.

whilsrt it might be desirable to kill off farmers, i don't think it's allowed.

It's not dead/injured Farmers that's the problem, it's the animals more people are concerned about , apparently.
You can't go giving them a shock just before they're slaughtered..

Could you describe the job a bit better?

‘A 240 panel with 24V outputs’ could mean anything from a simple power supply to a complex industrial control system

AC DC -24V- Question ? ... corrosive answers.
Livestock are more sensitive than humans forget 30mA, 10mA is appropriate.
( One of a few forum shockers I've learnt )

Reply to Install within agricultural sector? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock