Discuss Interconnected smoke alarm - troubleshooting in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Neptune

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

I have an aico alarm system which was mains powered and interconnected when installed 3 years ago. It's not been maintained and when I took a look recently, a couple of the detectors are missing. Only the ceiling plate is on the ceiling. Also, the interconnect isn't working. When I test any smoke detector, only that beeps and - none of the others.

I need to ensure that they are all still mains powered and restore the interconnection between them. They have a 3 core and earth cable for the interconnect.

I am pretty handy with electrics and own various tools including a fluke 2 pole tester.

I have 8 detectors. Can you please suggest a logical approach for this. Does the indicator on the detectors have any significance?

Look forward to receiving your advice. Thanks in advance.

How do you suddenly realise 2 of the detectors are missing? Is this a rental property you own?

are all the detectors mains and hardwired interconnect? Aico have a radio signal module that can be used instead of hardwired, so maybe the communication between modules hadn’t been set up initially. (House code)

The bases have a connection box, you can easily open the lid and visually check that there’s no loose connection. Take care, isolate supply before opening, yada yadda

Other thing I can think of is, although normally detectors are daisy chained, ie 2x 3 cores….. they might be connected from a central box and each has only one cable.

Thanks guys. It’s a rental property and that’s why I recently came to learn about the missing detectors.
They are supposed to be hard wired. The wireless method is not being used.

is it a case of opening each detected lid and detecting power? If there are two interconnect cables in each detector and I suddenly come across a detector that has no power, is it a case of going back a detector (in the chain) and checking connections? Whilst power is secured, etc.

Does the colour of the light on the sector have any significance?

It’ll depend on the model of detector, but I have Aico in my house, just looked, and they have a green light indicating mains power….

I think they show a red flashing light on all of them if you press the test button (I think)

and bear in mind that not all detectors may be powered from the same circuit.e.g. downstairs detectors may be of downstairs lighting, and upstairs detectors may be off upstairs lights. thet's if they don't all comeon 1 dedecated circuit.

and bear in mind that not all detectors may be powered from the same circuit.e.g. downstairs detectors may be of downstairs lighting, and upstairs detectors may be off upstairs lights. thet's if they don't all comeon 1 dedecated circuit.
If this is the case there would need to be one or more radio link bases or mods

It’ll depend on the model of detector, but I have Aico in my house, just looked, and they have a green light indicating mains power….

I think they show a red flashing light on all of them if you press the test button (I think)
Constant green LED when mains powered. Brief flash of red LED at intervals. Red LED flashes constantly on the one that's triggered, when the alarms are sounding.

and bear in mind that not all detectors may be powered from the same circuit.e.g. downstairs detectors may be of downstairs lighting, and upstairs detectors may be off upstairs lights. thet's if they

I guess I need to lift all the lids on the bases to identify twin and earth cable as the power supply?

Constant green LED when mains powered. Brief flash of red LED at intervals. Red LED flashes constantly on the one that's triggered, when the alarms are sounding.
The red LED should only flash when being set up, it should go out once all is set up and linked and not flash.

I'm writing about hard wired ones. I'm sitting under one right now, and it flashes red, briefly, at regular intervals. There's another outside my bedroom door, which I can see from in my bed, if the door is left open, as it is in weather like this. It also flashes red at regular intervals.

Perhaps yours do, but none of my Aico alarms do that, just a constant green light to show the power is on, if they did they would soon be ditched, the only time the red light has flashed is when setting up the interconnection which stops after a set time.

It's a very brief single flash at intervals of minutes. If you're not looking at the detector when it happens, or not in pitch darkness and looking in the general direction, then you won't notice it.

I'm writing about hard wired ones. I'm sitting under one right now, and it flashes red, briefly, at regular intervals. There's another outside my bedroom door, which I can see from in my bed, if the door is left open, as it is in weather like this. It also flashes red at regular intervals.

You just need to verify the supply and the interconnect

There's radio link bases and even battery only radiolink alarms but you said u don't have those

You have to be careful as.well as you can blow the whole lot if you mix up the supply and interconnect

We call aico EI here, high quality alarms

Thats where we differ, I have the 3000 series alarms and they do not flash the red LED as a self check:
  • Indicator LED’S: Green – power. Red – pre-alarm (CO only)/ alarm/ silence mode/ memory or battery event. Yellow – fault event
  • The Ei3028 self-tests its sensors, battery and internal circuitry every 48 seconds. Any fault condition found will be indicated by a combination of yellow LED flashes and/or audible beeps.

Last edited:

Reply to Interconnected smoke alarm - troubleshooting in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock