Discuss Interconnected smoke alarm - troubleshooting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Intrigued to hear about possible causes for the IC failure on all but 1 of the detectors. Also, the new detectors are on the same wiring and currently working.

Intrigued to hear about possible causes for the IC failure on all but 1 of the detectors. Also, the new detectors are on the same wiring and currently working.
Not really following the thread but I've seen interconnect failure a couple of times

Caused it once myself by crossing the wiring and blew the heads , lesson learned

Have also seen it in an installation i was working in, wired but not working

Near the beginning of this thread is a pic of the wiring to a head, showing that the wiring colour conventionally used for the interconnect and the neutral have been swapped around. I suspect that at some point a damaged base has been replaced by an electrician who connected the new one conventionally before realising his mistake after powering up. Corrected his wiring, and then walked swiftly away.

But wouldn't that have blown all the IC's? Surprised that one of the device was okay and also the new devices are fine. Why have they not immediately blown?

Has someone been in and performed an insulation resistance test on them at 500V?

Near the beginning of this thread is a pic of the wiring to a head, showing that the wiring colour conventionally used for the interconnect and the neutral have been swapped around. I suspect that at some point a damaged base has been replaced by an electrician who connected the new one conventionally before realising his mistake after powering up. Corrected his wiring, and then walked swiftly away.
This one ?
It strikes me that there's an indication of sub-standard design in these then. Given that such wiring errors are not exactly unforeseeable, you'd think they'd design the system to cope with it - it is possible to do.

This one ?

It strikes me that there's an indication of sub-standard design in these then. Given that such wiring errors are not exactly unforeseeable, you'd think they'd design the system to cope with it - it is possible to do.
You mean design the heads to cope with wiring errors ?

Is this a common issue or does it occur with other brands.Think it was EI in both cases I seen

Reply to Interconnected smoke alarm - troubleshooting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net