Discuss Is 2330 ESSENTIAL for domestic work? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

headshrinker

because New Career Skills dont offer it?!?!

the qualifications they offer are:

• The 17th Edition of the IEE Wiring Regulations

[*]
    Electrical Portable Appliance Testing - City & Guilds 2377

[*]
    CSCS Site Safety cards

[*]
    Appointed Persons 1st Aid HSE recognised

[*]
    EAL certificated Domestic Installer Scheme – EMTA Awards Limited

[*]
    Level 3 Certificate in Electrical Inspection, Testing and Certification of Installations Cit & Guilds 2391*
I emailed them to find out why and this was their response

"I spoke to our Lead Electrical Tutor concerning your query regarding t[FONT=Arial Black, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif]he City & Guilds 2330.This qualification covers commercial installations and would take a longer time to achieve (2-3yrs). [FONT=Arial Black, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif]It would also be very hard to achieve this qualification as a Home Learning Course which we provide. [/FONT][FONT=Arial Black, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif]New Career Skills offer Domestic Electrical Installers Qualifications not commercial. "[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Black, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Black, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif]would you all still recommend this course if you were only looking for a domestic qualification at the moment?[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Black, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Black, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif]thanks!

[/FONT]

Buddy there is no get to be a Spark fast scheme.

If you want to work in any domestic electrical Installation enviroment as a qualified electrican, whether that be for a company or for yourself then you would now need to obtain the City & Guilds C&G2330

The C&G2330 covers all electrical installations but it is not a home learning course.

Try tour local colleges?

yeah i agree with above, i had a mate who was gonna sign up to one of these "become a sparky in 6 months" cons. i told him to stay well clear. the only way u will ever become a proper spark is to do the full 2330 course at college then progress onto the other qualifications when qualified and after a good few years of on site experiance.

"New Career Skills offer Domestic Electrical Installers Qualifications not commercial. "

I would have said 2377 is more of a "commercial qualification" - I don't know of many people who get their home appliances regularly tested.

You don't need 2330 to be a domestic electrician, you just have to be deemed as competent.

Who deems you competent is another matter. If you join a scheme then that will be part of the way, but they are only looking that you can answer a few basic questions and look at an install that someone else could have done!!

The question is, would you be able to prove yourself competent in front of a judge if you had done something which caused injury or death.

You don't need 2330 to be a domestic electrician, you just have to be deemed as competent.

Fair comment as my first job was as a mate on a new build rewire project and after a couple of days shadowing the Approved Sparky he left me to it and was confident that i was competent to do the rest of the estate while he took off for hours at an end.....I dont mean to be disrespectful to anyone on here but you could train a monkey to do a domestic new build full house wire 1st and 2nd fix...The sparky only came back in the house to do the CU even though I wanted to do it.....but he insisted, prob incase his gaffer came on site seeing him do nothing!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Is 2330 ESSENTIAL for domestic work? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock