Discuss Is it worth paying to advertise (Sponsored ads) in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

I've joined checkatrade which I had used before 7/8 years ago and seemed to work well then. But again, loads of sole traders on there covering my area and its a lot more expensive now.

Never tried Instagram, I feel like a dinosaur. Is it like Facebook lol?

It's so weird because I'm usually turning away work all year round because I'm pulling my hair out busy.

Hey ho, I'll hang in there for a bit. Will push myself on Facebook, Google (the free stuff) and give checkatrade a year. Maybe I'll have to find an employed job, which having been self employed for 17 years and now in my early 40s is a bit daunting tbh.

I've joined checkatrade which I had used before 7/8 years ago and seemed to work well then. But again, loads of sole traders on there covering my area and its a lot more expensive now.

Never tried Instagram, I feel like a dinosaur. Is it like Facebook lol?

It's so weird because I'm usually turning away work all year round because I'm pulling my hair out busy.

Hey ho, I'll hang in there for a bit. Will push myself on Facebook, Google (the free stuff) and give checkatrade a year. Maybe I'll have to find an employed job, which having been self employed for 17 years and now in my early 40s is a bit daunting tbh.

Yeah, I'm the same as you bud. Instagram is alien to me and I've no intention of jumping on that in my mid 40's! :D
It's sad to see you say that though, that you're considering going back to "employed" after 17 years of being your own boss.

Like you, I'll give this Google ads thing a few months to see if there's any benefit.
If my phone isn't ringing after giving it a go then I'll be looking at being a subby for a while.
Don't want to do that really though but you've got to do what you've got to do.

When I noticed that my phone had been a bit quiet I thought I'd try and be more active on Facebook. I joined a few of the local community groups. I quickly noticed that if someone asks for a recommendation for an electrician within half an hour there's 7 or 8 replies with names put forward and they're all names I've never heard of. So I agree, there's a lot of sole traders sloshing about.
A few of them might be the same person ! I also have posted on the worst ever social media App "Next door" . The amount of people claiming to be any trades ready to work straight away is madness. When I mention about checking insurance and scheme memberships etc .It suddenly goes super quiet !

I dont advertise as such anymore but do have a paid for feature in a local magazine about ev chargers that will go through a few thousands letterboxes of middle to high earners who are the people I target.
I get a lot of word of mouth and repeat business so have not felt a need to push the business out there.
I am though as i look to recruit and get into solar pv to compliment the ev and battery offering going to advertise.
at the lower down level the local magazines for each part of town and village magazines are a lucrative source of work and advertising is much cheaper.
I dont use checkatrade now as the good deal came to an end and over time they let every man and his dog join and even using your own postcode you wouldnt appear in results!
i do sometimes use mybuilder as if you dont use it for ages they give you free 'credit' only use it for ev charging jobs, im often told that even though my quote wasnt the cheapest they went with me because i explained in detail what i would do and why it is necessary. others just give a price and basic description.

I dont advertise as such anymore but do have a paid for feature in a local magazine about ev chargers that will go through a few thousands letterboxes of middle to high earners who are the people I target.
I get a lot of word of mouth and repeat business so have not felt a need to push the business out there.
I am though as i look to recruit and get into solar pv to compliment the ev and battery offering going to advertise.
at the lower down level the local magazines for each part of town and village magazines are a lucrative source of work and advertising is much cheaper.
I dont use checkatrade now as the good deal came to an end and over time they let every man and his dog join and even using your own postcode you wouldnt appear in results!
i do sometimes use mybuilder as if you dont use it for ages they give you free 'credit' only use it for ev charging jobs, im often told that even though my quote wasnt the cheapest they went with me because i explained in detail what i would do and why it is necessary. others just give a price and basic description.

Well I've instructed the web site designer to go ahead and start the ball rolling. I've already selected a load of pics to upload and altered my wording. I might also reduce the list as far as what I am capable of doing as its like reading War & Peace! :D

I'm like you, my quotations/estimates are very detailed and it does win me work but I fall down on pricing sometimes and go a bit overboard and lose the job. Have to work on that one. 👍

Well I've instructed the web site designer to go ahead and start the ball rolling. I've already selected a load of pics to upload and altered my wording. I might also reduce the list as far as what I am capable of doing as its like reading War & Peace! :D

I'm like you, my quotations/estimates are very detailed and it does win me work but I fall down on pricing sometimes and go a bit overboard and lose the job. Have to work on that one. 👍
I would also encourage you to get adobe acrobat - full version so you can open, edit create proper pdfs, it allows you to open an quote, sign it yourself and then send to customer for signing digitally, makes contracts and agreements so much easier, just in case you get one who doesnt pay etc you then have the paperwork to recover the money. its quick to use and only £13 per month

Yes, I noticed this with checkatrade. Even if I put my own postcode in I find I'm 4 or 5 down the list and below someone 20 miles away. Didn't used to be like that. Funnily enough though I've been on it for around a month and had a few decent jobs come from it, as well as a few enquiries where I'd be frankly wasting my time.

I would also encourage you to get adobe acrobat - full version so you can open, edit create proper pdfs, it allows you to open an quote, sign it yourself and then send to customer for signing digitally, makes contracts and agreements so much easier, just in case you get one who doesnt pay etc you then have the paperwork to recover the money. its quick to use and only £13 per month
Hi Gavin,

I did consider that to be honest but as a small business owner, I have to justify every expense and paying £13 a month (although a small amount) adds up over time. Maybe something for the future though. 👍

I would benefit from it though so it's not totally off the table!

Yes, I noticed this with checkatrade. Even if I put my own postcode in I find I'm 4 or 5 down the list and below someone 20 miles away. Didn't used to be like that. Funnily enough though I've been on it for around a month and had a few decent jobs come from it, as well as a few enquiries where I'd be frankly wasting my time.
It all comes down to cost vs clicks and I'm looking forward to seeing what strategy my web designer comes up with as far as promoting my business is concerned.
Example: My business profile on Google was accessed 1.3k times last month yet I didn't get a single enquiry via Google during that time so how do I turn those "views" into potential sales? That's the big question!

I'm still only 13 months into to running my business though so I can't beat myself up too much! At least my business is still active and viable. Lots of business' fail within 12 months so I must be doing something right.

Reply to Is it worth paying to advertise (Sponsored ads) in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net