Discuss Is the MET an exposed conductive part? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

while working on the bonding task of the L2 G&G I assumed the supplementary bonding CPC should be 4mm2 due to the table in the OSG -(p.51. size of protective conductor = 16mm2)

However another student said the MET is an exposed conductive part so the CPC should be 6mm2 - even though the table if true says 10mm2. I find this confusing as I thought a exposed conductive part needed to have a line conductor in order to be in danger of going live? Also, if the supplementary bonding for a bath pipe can be 4mm2 from the lighting rose in a bathroom how is this any different from the MET which provides earth to the whole system?

Looking through the BS 7671 I couldn't find a definitive answer.

Any help clarifying this is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Connor

Thanks so much for your pointers.

After reading the sections you suggested and reviewing the assignment again it seems like the CPC should be 10mm2 if it's coming off the MET. However if it's coming off the water mains water pipe as a supplementary bond then it can be 4mm2 - I think... I'm not really sure where the 6mm2 is coming from?

Thanks again for your help.

Connor

Reply to Is the MET an exposed conductive part? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock