Discuss Is this a Part P failure? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

glennuk

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

New to the forum! Quick background on me: I have a degree in electrical engineering and spent many years working with qualified electricians on house re-wires. I never qualified as an electrician as I went down the IT route but I can rewire a house with no concerns - not that I would as I'm not qualified!!

A friend of mine asked me to review the electrics on his new extension as he is not happy with the work. Here is what I found:

1. None of the back boxes are earthed. Not a failure but poor practice

2. Loose socket back box and broken light box (missing lug).

3. Ring main cable passing through back of lighting back box ( switch box is level with socket in kitchen).

4. Breakers labelled wrong on the new DB.

5. Live wire sticking out the wall with no termination block! I fixed this one as super dangerous.

6. Live wires sticking out the ceiling with no termination block. Also dangerous but out of reach. Not fixed.

7. Armoured cable missing gland and outer casing not earthed.

8. Light switch in bedroom not screwed in to back box. I fixed this one as dangerous.

Photos attached of some of these. The builder did the electrics and signed it all off. There are a number of issues with the extension- not just the electrics. If I was an inspector I would not have passed it! However, poor practice does not necessarily equate to a Part P failure. So my question is do any of the above actually constitute as a failure?

Thanks in advance,
Glenn

Attachments

• IMG-20221226-WA0000.jpg
    552.7 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG-20221226-WA0001.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG-20221226-WA0002.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 108
Following the "sign off" by the builder, has,
an Electrical Installation Certificate been issued by the builder,
and also a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate received back from the Local Authority after notification by the builder?

Hi all,

New to the forum! Quick background on me: I have a degree in electrical engineering and spent many years working with qualified electricians on house re-wires. I never qualified as an electrician as I went down the IT route but I can rewire a house with no concerns - not that I would as I'm not qualified!!

A friend of mine asked me to review the electrics on his new extension as he is not happy with the work. Here is what I found:

1. None of the back boxes are earthed. Not a failure but poor practice

2. Loose socket back box and broken light box (missing lug).

3. Ring main cable passing through back of lighting back box ( switch box is level with socket in kitchen).

4. Breakers labelled wrong on the new DB.

5. Live wire sticking out the wall with no termination block! I fixed this one as super dangerous.

6. Live wires sticking out the ceiling with no termination block. Also dangerous but out of reach. Not fixed.

7. Armoured cable missing gland and outer casing not earthed.

8. Light switch in bedroom not screwed in to back box. I fixed this one as dangerous.

Photos attached of some of these. The builder did the electrics and signed it all off. There are a number of issues with the extension- not just the electrics. If I was an inspector I would not have passed it! However, poor practice does not necessarily equate to a Part P failure. So my question is do any of the above actually constitute as a failure?

Thanks in advance,
Glenn
Sounds like your answering you’re own question. I’d be referring more to BS7671. Is this ‘builder’ a member of a scheme? How was the work notified? Leaving exposed live conductors!

What does that armoured cable connect to? The single insulation looks like it is exposed. I hope it's not going directly to the meter!

Absolutley nothing wrong with it. Please point me to a regulation that states otherwise.
I didn't say it was a requirement, and I didn't say it was bad practice.
But as said, it's not good practice.
Best practice is to fit a fly lead.
Try reading GN8

The builder is an approved NIC EIC contractor and he has issued the certificate. I just don't understand how he can issue it with live wires sticking out the wall!

And yes the armoured cable connects to the main 100A incomer.

I'm very tempted to report him.

The builder is an approved NIC EIC contractor and he has issued the certificate. I just don't understand how he can issue it with live wires sticking out the wall!

Waste of time

Just give them a price to do the job properly

If the builder/sparks has issued an installation certificate that implies all is compliant with BS7671 and within timescale for building regs, there is no reason why a Part P certificate wont be issued (Did it come straight from the builder/sparks?).
A building inspector wont re-inspect the works done.
Your only recourse is to report it to NICEIC but I dont hold out much hope of them getting involved unless perhaps you can stress how dangerous the live wire situation was.

Your only recourse is to report it to NICEIC but I dont hold out much hope of them getting involved unless perhaps you can stress how dangerous the live wire situation was.
Take more than that. Odd unterminated live wire is fairly standard on new builds these days. Was on the one my son bought, last year.

Take more than that. Odd unterminated live wire is fairly standard on new builds these days. Was on the one my son bought, last year.
Probably tend to agree but how many get reported to NICEIC? I think mostly would get reported to the site agent.
Hopefully the NICEIC would act on one or two of them

Why not contact the contractor and raise the concerns you have with him first.

The Niceic will say the same thing.

It's not good practice, either.

Not all light switches have an earthing ring.

I would rather fit a fly lead as there is always the chance of the back box becoming live.

I'd also add that chances of a back box becoming live in NI are significantly lower than in GB as there are few circumstances where cable sheath will be in contact with entry point of box. Cables buried in walls are enclosed in conduit and those in stud walls generally enter boxes through a PVC female adaptor that won't easily dislodge like a grommet might.

Reply to Is this a Part P failure? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net