Discuss Issues with old-school sixties system in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

once had a problem with a datsun240, belt drive to alternator and power steering, bearing seized and belt slipping . battery kept going flat till i found the problem.

I can remember when I was lad.. They used to speed test those on the new M1.
They were doing phenomenal speeds even then.

I can't believe I'm the first one to ask for pictures!
We love pictures on here!
OK, I accept that in this case they won't help with diagnostics, but car----- is always welcome!

On another point...my past experience suggests battery failure, usually caused by alternator fault. Ammeter should show charge for a few minutes after cranking, then settle near to zero...if the physical drivetrain is ok (belt/water pump/alternator) then battery or alternator is the problem.

Yes, A98 still exists and is run by an enthusiastic member of the ACOC. That, too, is a 289 engine (4.7 litre) and also has transverse leafsprings front and rear. As did all the period race Cobras - 7 litre cars (coil spring chassis) were never seriously raced back in the day. After the 4.7 Cobras (roadsters, like mine, then the Daytona Coupes), Ford's focus shifted to the GT40 which was a whole new ballgame.

Yes, A98 still exists and is run by an enthusiastic member of the ACOC. That, too, is a 289 engine (4.7 litre) and also has transverse leafsprings front and rear. As did all the period race Cobras - 7 litre cars (coil spring chassis) were never seriously raced back in the day. After the 4.7 Cobras (roadsters, like mine, then the Daytona Coupes), Ford's focus shifted to the GT40 which was a whole new ballgame.
I can remember that when it happened , it caused quite a storm at the time .
If I remember correctly he was not the only one to burn up the M1.

Whatever...that is a beautiful, beautiful car rsk289.

i was privileged to ride in(not drive) a very nice replica a couple of years ago...yes, bulges and stripes, custom leather interior and absolutely every thing brand new and chrome...I think it ws a blown 5.7 litre...anyway, the whole street shook when it started up, and the sensation of power was overwhelming...but it was the pure beauty of the shape that took my breath away...

(Suddenly realises that a new project is on the horizon!)

Thanks for the kind remarks - it's certainly not subtle when it fires up! If they do introduce 'noise' cameras, they're need a lot of 'film' around this area.
As to a new project, go for it! And, like the one you were in, the replicas are usually significantly quicker than the originals.
Ah well, time to get in the workshop and start testing electrical bits today.

If the ammeter only dips with the ignition on , and there is nothing like a fan spinning ?
--Then something should be feeling warm with engine from cold-- (don't burn fingers)
3-suspects
a)(Alternators would normally be on battery -all the time _BUT yours is different.
b) Something in ignition (and may be normal)
(for certain settling positions of points-if has them)
c) Another ITEM (Not a diesel so no block heater)
(Don't flatten battery too much waiting for something to warm-Without engine running)
Any funny smells -turn off -fire risk.
--Wiring damage -have your battery cables loose enough for a quick-disconnect--

Last edited:

Reply to Issues with old-school sixties system in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock