Discuss Japanese 3 Phase Wiring in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Kirkman

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, I hoping someone can assist me. I’ve taken delivery of a control box from Japan, which is powered by 3 phase at 200v. The wires are red, black, white and green. Any ideas how or if I can wire this to make work in the UK via standard 240v or 110v please?

Japanese 3 Phase Wiring IMG_4188.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Update: I misread your 200V as 100V and gave an unhelpful answer.

200V is standard Japanese 3-phase delta. Red - L1, White - L2, Black - L3, Green - earth.
Unless it can be internally re-configured into star and will accept 230V in place of 200, you will need a stepdown transformer from 400V (normal UK 3-phase voltage) to 200V.

What is it for and what is its power rating? Do you have any info from the manufacturers?

Last edited:
Update: I misread your 200V as 100V and gave an unhelpful answer.

200V is standard Japanese 3-phase delta. Red - L1, White - L2, Black - L3, Green - earth.
Unless it can be internally re-configured into star and will accept 230V in place of 200, you will need a stepdown transformer from 400V (normal UK 3-phase voltage) to 200V.

What is it for and what is its power rating? Do you have any info from the manufacturers?
Thanks, I upload some photos of the control box internals on Monday. The control box is powering a small rotating motor on small drilling machine.

In your first post you mentioned operation from 230V. Do you have a 3-phase supply available? If not, just transforming down to 200V is not an option and a different strategy will be needed. It is possible that the control box will accept a single-phase input, if it contains an inverter / VFD. Otherwise, things start getting a little more complex.

Will stand by for your pics etc.

Hi, the supplier states I'll need a transformer that converts from 400v to 200v 3Phase and the control box runs 15kVA. I've attached some photos of the control box and the motor the control runs thereafter. May be it would be easier to control the motor directly in another way?

Attachments

• Japanese 3 Phase Wiring IMG_4487.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_4487.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Japanese 3 Phase Wiring IMG_4488.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_4488.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Japanese 3 Phase Wiring IMG_4489.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_4489.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Japanese 3 Phase Wiring IMG_4490.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_4490.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 22
It looks like a new piece of equipment, will the machine manufacturer not supply a suitable transformer to run this?

Are you sure it's 15kVA? There's a 1.5kW motor and you called it a 'small' drilling machine...

I’m they states it’s 15kVA for sure. The motor fits on to bespoke drill machine. They won’t supply a transformer as based in Japan! Looks like I’m lost!

Reply to Japanese 3 Phase Wiring in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock