Discuss Joining 4 x 10mm conductors? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
This is a follow on to my kiln thread.

The kiln is 3 phase but can be run on single phase. It is 12kW.

It has 5 core 10mm2 flex attached to it.

The colours are brown, blue, grey, black, green/yellow.

I'm just looking for the best way to attach L1, L2, L3 and the single phase 10mm conductor together?

A 60A junction box wouldn't be suitable as there are too many conductors to squeeze in. I was thinking of some kind of terminal block with separate holes for each conductor (exactly like an earthing block, but insulated) but I can't find any? This would then be in a small enclosure/adaptable box etc.

I've got a feeling this is something pretty straight forward, but I've never had to join 4 x 10mm before, so it's not on my radar.

Also, with the 3 phase colours above. Are they UK (new) colours, meaning that the blue is the neutral? Below is a picture of the actual cable. the whitish looking one is actually grey. Cheers ?

Joining 4 x 10mm conductors? (3)Cable - EletriciansForums.net

Looks like they do a 4-way as well which would better suit you:
Looks good! Din rail mount too! Thanks PC ?

With regards the colours of the cable... Are they definitely UK (new colours) meaning the neutral is the blue? I am unsure due to the fact I dont deal with 3 phase, but also the fact that this is an old wenger kiln which was built way before 2006 when the colours changed.

i would assume Bn/Bk/Gy to be L1,L2,L3, and the blue to be N. if the kiln is wired in star, L1 -N, L2 - N, L3 -N, should give 3 equal readings on continuity.

ome kind of terminal block with separate holes for each conductor (exactly like an earthing block, but insulated) but I can't find any?

There are many different kinds, I keep half a dozen flavours in stock and used three only this morning. The type PC1966 linked are good, then you have the totally enclosed 'Italian' type that I use the most, e.g.

Cembre 5x16mm commoning block

Possibly the most substantial method is to put the requisite number of DIN rail terminals on a rail and link them with a commoning bar. Finally you can do worse than a stack of ring terminals on an insulated rail-mounted stud.

Yes those are harmonised colours. Check the wiring at the kiln end in case someone has done something daft. Be prepared to re-terminate that end if needed.

I've just looked at the pic on a bigger screen.... is that SY cable really 10mm²? It looks more like 4.0 or 6.0. It might just be the perspective of the pic though. And, why would anyone have fitted 5-core 10mm² when the current on 3-phase would only be 18 amps?

Also, are you are mounting an isolator nearby? Perhaps that would have some influence on how the cable is terminated and/or whether it is simply better to replace the existing.

Anyway, here are some more commoning blocks.

This first one is out of stock at the mo but I keep these in my toolbox as problem solvers for when a Wago isn't big enough. The RS Pro range includes some useful sizes, I find a lot of applications for the one with one 16mm² and ten 6mm² entries
4-way 16mm² commoning block from RS

If you want to go large, these Weidmüller blocks are well engineered and have both DIN rail and screw-hole mounting.
Weidmüller 5-way block

etc...

Ha - cross posted the same product as @pc1966. I use tons of these, they are fine. Made to a price - plain brass with pinch screws rather than rising cage clamps but substantial and robust, I've never sheared one or cracked the housing.

Last edited:
I've just looked at the pic on a bigger screen.... is that SY cable really 10mm²? It looks more like 4.0 or 6.0. It might just be the perspective of the pic though. And, why would anyone have fitted 5-core 10mm² when the current on 3-phase would only be 18 amps?

Also, are you are mounting an isolator nearby? Perhaps that would have some influence on how the cable is terminated and/or whether it is simply better to replace the existing.

Anyway, here are some more commoning blocks.

This first one is out of stock at the mo but I keep these in my toolbox as problem solvers for when a Wago isn't big enough. The RS Pro range includes some useful sizes, I find a lot of applications for the one with one 16mm² and ten 6mm² entries
4-way 16mm² commoning block from RS

If you want to go large, these Weidmüller blocks are well engineered and have both DIN rail and screw-hole mounting.
Weidmüller 5-way block

etc...

Ha - cross posted the same product as @pc1966. I use tons of these, they are fine. Made to a price - plain brass with pinch screws rather than rising cage clamps but substantial and robust, I've never sheared one or cracked the housing.
I have to admit I have just assumed it's 10mm from looking at it. I'll get a pair of callipers on it to make sure but I'd be very surprised if it was 6mm.

The specification plate does state 415V or 240V, so would they have used a cable that could accommodate both? Is this likely?

How embarrassing, I didn't notice it was SY. I shall make sure to add the gland to the quote!

I was planning on using a 60A rotary switch as an isolator.

Sure, I'm not saying it isn't 10mm², I just thought it looked smaller based on recognisable items like the screw in the door handle

As you say, the kiln predates the harmonised colours and was probably supplied without cable. Commercial installations would often have had singles in flexible metal conduit or similar, rather than flex. Therefore there's no reason to assume that the present piece of SY is the ideal thing for the job, it might be what the previous installer had in his van.

The SY cable may well be sized correctly for 3 phase but would need to be bigger obviously for single phase as the neutral will be carrying the full current. Did someone already mention this? I'm going a bit senile.....

Yes. There was a previous thread about calculating the load, which could have gone like:
'12000/230=52 and 52/3=17.4, check that each element bank is somewhat below 230/17.4=13.5Ω, if so kiln is indeed 12kW as suspected, supply current on single phase is 52A, job done' but rambled on a bit. Somewhere along the way the point surfaced a few times.

Last edited:
I find, with SY cable, the size can be surprising. 4mm can look like 2.5, 6.0mm like 4, etc.

Could be because it's flexible.......and not manufactured to any British or European standard, as far as I know.
Isn't it intended as a control cable?.... although 10mm 4c, with such colours as control only, it seems like supply cable. You'd think it would be the all black, numbered cores as controls.
Different manufacturers, different specs, maybe?

Or use one on these from RS Components, I have a couple spare if you want one?

Legrand, 4 Pole Interface Module, DIN Rail Mount​

Can't get the link to work, but go to there web site and look for the above, they are a very neat three phase enclosed connector.

Or use one on these from RS Components, I have a couple spare if you want one?

Legrand, 4 Pole Interface Module, DIN Rail Mount​

Can't get the link to work, but go to there web site and look for the above, they are a very neat three phase enclosed connector.

They look nice.

Although in this case only 2 pole needed, as it's going onto a single phase supply.

Usually on dual types of supply like that i.e. three phase/single phase, there is a plate inside the equipment that lets you configure the wiring for single phase supply or three phase, so that you get a two core and earth supply and reconfigure the links inside the appliance rather than try to link one single phase wire to the five core cable. So at your switch you would have a cable coming out from say a rotary isolator straight to the appliance. From there you would have a cable that would go directly to the links. Configuring the links is key to this. Or...three phase rotary isolator and the five core goes into that with a link to each of the L1-L2-L3 at the supply side. I suspect you need to link at where that five core goes to and inspect the arrangement. I have been caught out by this before by assuming the links were configured for three phase and they weren't. So you would need to see how the links are configured and be sure you are linking in properly.

Reply to Joining 4 x 10mm conductors? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock