Discuss Joint between 16mm &1.5mm! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

rolyberkin

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
A donut of a builder has helpfully run a piece of swa two core 16mm to a small feature fountain fitted with 1.5mm flex, suggestions on best way to join, couldn’t get the 16mm in a wago!

twist and tape. or source a IP rated SFCU.complete with a coffin box 60A connection block.

Whats it going into at the other end? In this situation, I can't see any technical reason why just putting one or 2 strands of the 16mm into a wago and cutting the others off. You would probably still have to put heatrink over the end to insulate the rest of them. Not sure how easy it would be to justify/sign off though.

Whats it going into at the other end? In this situation, I can't see any technical reason why just putting one or 2 strands of the 16mm into a wago and cutting the others off. You would probably still have to put heatrink over the end to insulate the rest of them. Not sure how easy it would be to justify/sign off though.
I sincerely hope your reply was/is tongue in cheek shaun1.

I sincerely hope your reply was/is tongue in cheek shaun1.

Well not entirely no. Obviously I would never consider cutting strands off a cable if it was correctly sized and carrying somewhere near its capacity. But in this case, presumably only a 1.5mm cable is required for CCC, and one strand of a 7 strand 16mm must be more than 1.5mm CSA, so what actual reason is there not to use it in this way providing ita suitibly protected for the 1.5mm?

Im DIY so don't shout at me, but I've done something very similar in the past for family who had knocked down an old garage and made garden bigger so wanted to have a light where the garage was.

16mm in to a resin bullet to 6mm SWA (using the screw down and snap bolt crimps) and then fed the 6mm in to a wiska 308 with swa gland and 1.5mm flex out on a compression before for a light.

Resin joint 450mm down, wiska box on a wooden post. MCB downrated to 6a at supply.

Im DIY so don't shout at me, but I've done something very similar in the past for family who had knocked down an old garage and made garden bigger so wanted to have a light where the garage was.

16mm in to a resin bullet to 6mm SWA (using the screw down and snap bolt crimps) and then fed the 6mm in to a wiska 308 with swa gland and 1.5mm flex out on a compression before for a light.

Resin joint 450mm down, wiska box on a wooden post. MCB downrated to 6a at supply.
sounds a decent soloution with beer in the brain.let me look agian tomorrow, or the next day, or next year, whenever i run out of beer, .....(that will be the day that i go to my grave/crem/hole in the garden/ whatever SWMBO wants. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:.

sounds a decent soloution with beer in the brain.let me look agian tomorrow, or the next day, or next year, whenever i run out of beer, .....(that will be the day that i go to my grave/crem/hole in the garden/ whatever SWMBO wants. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:.

Crimps did the 16 > 6 in spec, 6 fits in SWA small gland. seemed neatest way i could think of at the time i did it. Cant remember if i wago'd it or terminal strips but 6mm > 1.5mm flex is probably Wago compliant.

Well not entirely no. Obviously I would never consider cutting strands off a cable if it was correctly sized and carrying somewhere near its capacity. But in this case, presumably only a 1.5mm cable is required for CCC, and one strand of a 7 strand 16mm must be more than 1.5mm CSA, so what actual reason is there not to use it in this way providing ita suitibly protected for the 1.5mm?
Trouble was Shaun, you were thinking it and then said it out loud!
I could lend you my tin hat but I basically never take it off!

What is wrong with a bit of 60A terminal strip in a moulded box and a crimp on the flex.
Gland the SWA into the box and put the 16mm² in one side of the terminal block and the crimped flex in the other.

What is wrong with a bit of 60A terminal strip in a moulded box and a crimp on the flex.
Gland the SWA into the box and put the 16mm² in one side of the terminal block and the crimped flex in the other.
And you could place the ferruled end of the flex neatly in the strands of the 16, that would work and be cost effective.
Does it need fusing down or has it been done at the other end (upstream) of the 16mm?

Question.
Why did the builder put in 16mm in the first place?
Tell him to dig it up and put in the right size.

or

Tie the cores to a jcb and gently pull it. It will either stretch the 16mm's down to a usable csa, or pull the cores out from within the armour. If that works, then tie a flex onto the other end and pull it in as the 16 comes out.
The "optimistic" badge is below, just about...……………....…. here!
Looks like a rainbow

Builder built the fountain and dug in the cable, customer had a load of 16mm 2 core left over from something else, they got their heads together and come up with what seemed like a plan!:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
Think will go with the connection strip or crimp ideas.

It is for a pond pump, not a outdoor hot tub, with Pampas grass and saunas :)
It is for a pond pump, not a outdoor hot tub, with Pampas grass and saunas :)
So do you condone that form of butchery then? Should have had the right sized cable installed in the first place, and not left it to a builder,who probably thought "got some 10mm in the shed, I know I'll use that"

Reply to Joint between 16mm &1.5mm! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock