Aico 3000 Range
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss Joint between 16mm &1.5mm! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

rolyberkin

-
Arms
Esteemed
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

A donut of a builder has helpfully run a piece of swa two core 16mm to a small feature fountain fitted with 1.5mm flex, suggestions on best way to join, couldn’t get the 16mm in a wago!

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
twist and tape. or source a IP rated SFCU.complete with a coffin box 60A connection block.

ChrisElectrical88

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Giant adaptable box....

16mm in a 63A Connector, 10mm Between 63A Connector and 32A Connector, 6mm Between 32A Connector and 15A Connector, 2.5mm Between 15A and 5A Connector. 1.5mm Flex into the 5A Connector...

Dont forget to bootlace ferrel it into the 5A connector or it might look rough

Whats it going into at the other end? In this situation, I can't see any technical reason why just putting one or 2 strands of the 16mm into a wago and cutting the others off. You would probably still have to put heatrink over the end to insulate the rest of them. Not sure how easy it would be to justify/sign off though.

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
Whats it going into at the other end? In this situation, I can't see any technical reason why just putting one or 2 strands of the 16mm into a wago and cutting the others off. You would probably still have to put heatrink over the end to insulate the rest of them. Not sure how easy it would be to justify/sign off though.
I sincerely hope your reply was/is tongue in cheek shaun1.

I sincerely hope your reply was/is tongue in cheek shaun1.
Well not entirely no. Obviously I would never consider cutting strands off a cable if it was correctly sized and carrying somewhere near its capacity. But in this case, presumably only a 1.5mm cable is required for CCC, and one strand of a 7 strand 16mm must be more than 1.5mm CSA, so what actual reason is there not to use it in this way providing ita suitibly protected for the 1.5mm?

I think I would probably still be reluctant to actually do it, just because its so frowned upon (usually for good reason)...

Im DIY so don't shout at me, but I've done something very similar in the past for family who had knocked down an old garage and made garden bigger so wanted to have a light where the garage was.

16mm in to a resin bullet to 6mm SWA (using the screw down and snap bolt crimps) and then fed the 6mm in to a wiska 308 with swa gland and 1.5mm flex out on a compression before for a light.

Resin joint 450mm down, wiska box on a wooden post. MCB downrated to 6a at supply.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Im DIY so don't shout at me, but I've done something very similar in the past for family who had knocked down an old garage and made garden bigger so wanted to have a light where the garage was.

16mm in to a resin bullet to 6mm SWA (using the screw down and snap bolt crimps) and then fed the 6mm in to a wiska 308 with swa gland and 1.5mm flex out on a compression before for a light.

Resin joint 450mm down, wiska box on a wooden post. MCB downrated to 6a at supply.
sounds a decent soloution with beer in the brain.let me look agian tomorrow, or the next day, or next year, whenever i run out of beer, .....(that will be the day that i go to my grave/crem/hole in the garden/ whatever SWMBO wants. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:.

sounds a decent soloution with beer in the brain.let me look agian tomorrow, or the next day, or next year, whenever i run out of beer, .....(that will be the day that i go to my grave/crem/hole in the garden/ whatever SWMBO wants. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:.
Crimps did the 16 > 6 in spec, 6 fits in SWA small gland. seemed neatest way i could think of at the time i did it. Cant remember if i wago'd it or terminal strips but 6mm > 1.5mm flex is probably Wago compliant.

Rpa07

-
Arms
Esteemed
Well not entirely no. Obviously I would never consider cutting strands off a cable if it was correctly sized and carrying somewhere near its capacity. But in this case, presumably only a 1.5mm cable is required for CCC, and one strand of a 7 strand 16mm must be more than 1.5mm CSA, so what actual reason is there not to use it in this way providing ita suitibly protected for the 1.5mm?
Trouble was Shaun, you were thinking it and then said it out loud!
I could lend you my tin hat but I basically never take it off!

Richard Burns

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
What is wrong with a bit of 60A terminal strip in a moulded box and a crimp on the flex.
Gland the SWA into the box and put the 16mm² in one side of the terminal block and the crimped flex in the other.

Reply to Joint between 16mm &1.5mm! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Top Bottom