Discuss Joint boxes question!! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

MAXKD

HI guys,i watched a property development program the other day(hard to avoid them eh) now the electrians pulled down the ceiling,and exposed the wiring,they said "oh my god look at those joint boxes disgusting there not allowed tut tut!

Now can someone confirm the ruling here?i mean the property was probably 30 years old,so to me of course there will be joint boxes somewhere,and they were the correct type so surely they were legal?
My second question is can they be used still today? i thought you were not allowed to use them when wiring a new installation,but surely you can still use them otherwise at a later date?i mean people are always going to need add ons at a later stage!

Any thoughts much appreciated ps.are choc boxes allowed?

thanks Max

HI guys,i watched a property development program the other day(hard to avoid them eh) now the electrians pulled down the ceiling,and exposed the wiring,they said "oh my god look at those joint boxes disgusting there not allowed tut tut!

Now can someone confirm the ruling here?i mean the property was probably 30 years old,so to me of course there will be joint boxes somewhere,and they were the correct type so surely they were legal?
My second question is can they be used still today? i thought you were not allowed to use them when wiring a new installation,but surely you can still use them otherwise at a later date?i mean people are always going to need add ons at a later stage!

Any thoughts much appreciated ps.are choc boxes allowed?

leaving aside my personal hatred of joint boxes in general,
I think i am correct in saying there is nothing "illegal" about using joint boxes ,as ive said at least once before using them to extend cables is considered bad practice and lazy,but they have there uses ,ie to act as a 3 plate wiring point with certain light fittings,other than that i cant think of a application in which they need to be used and if ,as in your above example they are discovered ,quite rightly give them a good slagging off and then rip them out,;)

Also the old Ashley type you will find now are not permitted as the whole cable needs to be clamped so that no strain is put on the joints as in the old Ashley type if cable is pulled.

Also the old Ashley type you will find now are not permitted as the whole cable needs to be clamped so that no strain is put on the joints as in the old Ashley type if cable is pulled.

Ashley have a guide to juction boxes for the 17th Edition i'm sure it acan be found on there website

Mark

Hi Guys, I agree with whats already said, junction boxes are perfectly legal, but if used must be readily accessible for visual inspection etc. and as for Choc-bloc.. if you use it you would need to enclose it in a suitable rated enclosure box.. so it seems pointless, might aswell use a junction box.
I guess If you cant change the cable for a longer one and you really need to extend it, then junction boxes are the best option, just keep in mind that if they are in a ceiling void or under floor, or behind a wall.. you will need to cut an access point for future access if there isnt one already.

There are some new JB's on the market, if you can find them. They have spring loaded terminals so they are saying you can stick them anywhere (within reason).

Maintenance Free Junction Box Hager

I think they weren't cheap though. :rolleyes:

just got some of these specifically to use on a job, had to order them from TLC's. They are ashley boxes distributed by Hagar.

They will be used in a non accessible position, and i am using the 'design' reg (131.8? aint got it in front of me), which i will note on the certs.

i am following the manufacturers design claims that they have been tested for vibration, shock, etc etc etc, so i will give them a go.

Hi Shakey

Was having a look at the Ashley boxes in wholesalers today. Be interested to hear your opinion when you have used them.

Tony

A neighbour asked me to check his wiring a couple of weeks ago, his RCD kept tripping. He had lifted the floorboards and I saw that all the ring circuit sockets ran from JB's. :eek: Still, as a favour i tested all the circuits continuity, and insulation resistance, tested the RCD, then told him he needed to check every connection at every accessory, including all the light switches... hee hee. Actually its not his fault, last house owner obviously decided to do his own re-wire. No wonder we have Part P authorities to fill our now!

Reply to Joint boxes question!! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net