Discuss Just finished a rewire...... exhausted! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Just spent 2 weeks rewiring a 3 bed house, I made it £500 cheaper to encourage the owners to move out which they did, thank goodness.... lived in rewires are a nightmare.

I finished the first fix a few days ago and the plasterer filled in all the chases as I was certain all was fine :D.

I then started my dead tests, got to the top landing and couldn't quite understand why the top landing switch only had a twin and earth going to it as it was 2 way with the first floor landing switch. Slowly, over a period of perhaps 5 or 6 seconds my heart dropped as I realised it was impossible to have a 2 way switch with only a twin and earth going to it, but I kept thinking.....there must be some way, of course there isn't, I just couldn't bear the thought of having to take all his plaster out and re-chase. I was exhausted. However, I did take his plaster out, floorboards back up, 3 core and E in, I was exhausted. Luckily the plasterer was fine about it and I am now having a beer having finished 2 weeks of hard work. :)

PS.. In the mild state of hysteria for the 5-6 seconds I (for a millisecond) considered using the earth as the link, tutt tutt, It shouldn't have even entered my head!

I was finishing off today, with the radio going, pretty bloody shattered.... then this song came on and I just had to stop and have a little jig around the house, I loved it! :D

---- happens. All part of life. Just finished wiring a small extension. Cable coming out of wall to right of door for outside light. Pull light out of box (supplied by customer) and it’s a lantern that when fitted at that point would be too high and hit soffit. Fortunately able to chase out 50mm or render and fit lower. ?
Spare a thought for plumber whose pipes for heated towel rail were spaced incorrectly. Facing having to remove tile and reposition pipes ?

Two weeks...we bash them out in two days, but there is more of us lol. I’ve got out of trouble before with a damaged 3 core and earth using a fibaro relay but had a neutral at switch as it was fed.
Ha... I gave you a little thought as I was driving home today Lee. I remembered reading a post of yours fairly recently about 3 men and 3 days for a 3 bed rewire. 2 bloody weeks it took me! :tired:
Although i guess that's much the same as you, 9 man days as opposed to 10.

Ha... I gave you a little thought as I was driving home today Lee. I remembered reading a post of yours fairly recently about 3 men and 3 days for a 3 bed rewire. 2 bloody weeks it took me! :tired:
Although i guess that's much the same as you, 9 man days as opposed to 10.
Haha....yeah I’ve done two in a 5 day working week before with a sparks mate and an apprentice, Proper graft though! I think you’ve done well to do it in that time frame on your tod....I’ve done a few on my own when I just come out my time and it’s hard work. I don’t know how you do it really as a hate working on my own like that...If I’ve got a lad with me least I can get him to run out to the van etc.

It
Just spent 2 weeks rewiring a 3 bed house, I made it £500 cheaper to encourage the owners to move out which they did, thank goodness.... lived in rewires are a nightmare.

I finished the first fix a few days ago and the plasterer filled in all the chases as I was certain all was fine :D.

I then started my dead tests, got to the top landing and couldn't quite understand why the top landing switch only had a twin and earth going to it as it was 2 way with the first floor landing switch. Slowly, over a period of perhaps 5 or 6 seconds my heart dropped as I realised it was impossible to have a 2 way switch with only a twin and earth going to it, but I kept thinking.....there must be some way, of course there isn't, I just couldn't bear the thought of having to take all his plaster out and re-chase. I was exhausted. However, I did take his plaster out, floorboards back up, 3 core and E in, I was exhausted. Luckily the plasterer was fine about it and I am now having a beer having finished 2 weeks of hard work. :)

PS.. In the mild state of hysteria for the 5-6 seconds I (for a millisecond) considered using the earth as the link, tutt tutt, It shouldn't have even entered my head!
It has entered my head before as well. Just didn't have the heart to go through with it

Did loads of rewires,its really hard work,& to be honest never really found it satisfying,money is always tight,& no way relevant to all the hard work you’ve put in,have a beer on me ?

Did loads of rewires,its really hard work,& to be honest never really found it satisfying,money is always tight,& no way relevant to all the hard work you’ve put in,have a beer on me ?
Dunno...decent labourer on an empty house and good money can be earned.....not disputing its bloody hard work though! :)

I finished the first fix a few days ago and the plasterer filled in all the chases as I was certain all was fine 2.

I then started my dead tests, got to the top landing and couldn't quite understand why the top landing switch only had a twin and earth going to it as it was 2 way with the first floor landing switch. Slowly, over a period of perhaps 5 or 6 seconds my heart dropped as I realised it was impossible to have a 2 way switch with only a twin and earth going to it, but I kept thinking.....there must be some way, of course there isn't, I just couldn't bear the thought of having to take all his plaste nd re-chase. I was exhausted. However, I did take his plaster out, floorboards back up, 3 core and E in, I was exhausted. Luckily the plasterer was fine about it and I am now having a beer having finished 2 weeks of hard work.

2 whole weeks go slow job was it? :eek: :smilingimp::cool::)

Each rewire is different, always nice when you get that occasional easy one, that you can make a decent profit on. I recently rewired my sister in laws it was a nightmare, but its one of those jobs you have to do.

Solid flooring downstairs, floor to ceiling chases and wall lights too ?
Existing CU underneath a tiled bathroom floor with laminate flooring laid down in one of the rooms upstairs..
Ended up moving the CU into the attached garage, putting up 4x2 trunking in the garage and drilling back through the house into a skilling cupboard to route my cables round, had to carefully pull the laminate up along one edge of the bedroom then refit.
Took me around 8 days however they were sometimes 12 hour days.

Got a nice little two bed empty bungalow coming up soon, hopefully I can finish that in 3 days by myself.

Each rewire is different, always nice when you get that occasional easy one, that you can make a decent profit on. I recently rewired my sister in laws it was a nightmare, but its one of those jobs you have to do.

Solid flooring downstairs, floor to ceiling chases and wall lights too ?
Existing CU underneath a tiled bathroom floor with laminate flooring laid down in one of the rooms upstairs..
Ended up moving the CU into the attached garage, putting up 4x2 trunking in the garage and drilling back through the house into a skilling cupboard to route my cables round, had to carefully pull the laminate up along one edge of the bedroom then refit.
Took me around 8 days however they were sometimes 12 hour days.

Got a nice little two bed empty bungalow coming up soon, hopefully I can finish that in 3 days by myself.
Was a joke

A full rewire on your own is seriously hard work, and to do the whole lot in 2 weeks is commendable. My son and me took a whole week recently to just first fix a large ish 3 bed bungalow but there's a lot in it including loads of downlights, 8 thermostats all wired for underfloor heating zones and all in blockwork, chased in over 60 metal wall boxes and used loads of 25 and 32mm capping, reminded me how much I hate that stuff. :)

I think I posted some pictures on here before of a Rewire of a oast house I done. They had a problem with cables being chewed etc so we done it all in Galv conduit and had floor boards on top of floor board in the opposite direction. Was an absolute nightmare.....IIRC it ended up being a 25k rewire for a 3 bed oast house o_O

Yes I've used 2.5 mm t&e instead of 3 core and also used twin red instead of black and red we all make mistakes it how we correct them that counts .. ps yes red and black . Not done any rewires for a while :)

It has taken me roughly 2 weeks to fully complete an occupied full rewire.
Empty house would probably look at smashing it out in just over a week on my tod.

As for pricing , standard 3 bedder all down lighters , chrome sockets etc looking at about £14k these days...That includes all making good plastering etc.

Last edited:
I did one vacant rewire in my five year stint as a sparkie, on my lonesome in my semi retirement years.

Also took me two weeks, on & off. Nearly killed me. Caused a plantar fasciitis in me foot, which I still suffer with. The first floor lighting was the worst. Up & down from the loft hatch, 'cos the cable really kept jamming, nearly threw thing.

Never ever again.

Reply to Just finished a rewire...... exhausted! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net