Discuss Just finished a rewire...... exhausted! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I did one vacant rewire in my five year stint as a sparkie, on my lonesome in my semi retirement years.

Also took me two weeks, on & off. Nearly killed me. Caused a plantar fasciitis in me foot, which I still suffer with. The first floor lighting was the worst. Up & down from the loft hatch, 'cos the cable really kept jamming, nearly threw thing.

Never ever again.

This is why most people do full rewires as a 2 man team. One to pull / push the cable the other is to ensure it doesn’t catch or snag on things.
Yes it increases your labour cost but should reduce the time and agro

Just spent 2 weeks rewiring a 3 bed house, I made it £500 cheaper to encourage the owners to move out which they did, thank goodness.... lived in rewires are a nightmare.

I finished the first fix a few days ago and the plasterer filled in all the chases as I was certain all was fine :D.

I then started my dead tests, got to the top landing and couldn't quite understand why the top landing switch only had a twin and earth going to it as it was 2 way with the first floor landing switch. Slowly, over a period of perhaps 5 or 6 seconds my heart dropped as I realised it was impossible to have a 2 way switch with only a twin and earth going to it, but I kept thinking.....there must be some way, of course there isn't, I just couldn't bear the thought of having to take all his plaster out and re-chase. I was exhausted. However, I did take his plaster out, floorboards back up, 3 core and E in, I was exhausted. Luckily the plasterer was fine about it and I am now having a beer having finished 2 weeks of hard work. :)

PS.. In the mild state of hysteria for the 5-6 seconds I (for a millisecond) considered using the earth as the link, tutt tutt, It shouldn't have even entered my head!
I would have upgraded them to Lightwave switches and gone to the pub

I've heard some sparks talking about rewires on their todd in a week before, usually turns out they are doing 15 hour days, so the reality is in man hours it's a lot more than a week.

I've heard some sparks talking about rewires on their todd in a week before, usually turns out they are doing 15 hour days, so the reality is in man hours it's a lot more than a week.
I would say I did 2 x 7 hour days (as I was doing the school run), 5 x 9 hour days and 3 x 12 hour days. So if you class a day as 8 hours then my time works out to 11.875 working days.
20-30 min break for lunch and sometimes an extra 10 minute tea break.
The 12 hour days were the last 3 (Thursday/friday/saturday) when I realised I was going to have to work today as well unless I put in some extra work. Whereas now I get to sup a cup of tea.... whilst continuing to talk about the rewire!
The last 3 hours were packing up and giving the house a thorough sweep, hoover and mopping!
[automerge]1570355401[/automerge]
Did loads of rewires,its really hard work,& to be honest never really found it satisfying,money is always tight,& no way relevant to all the hard work you’ve put in,have a beer on me ?
I would say I find 95% of the jobs I do as an electrician satisfying. This rewire was perhaps too hard and I found myself stressed out too much of the time, but I still went home on some of the days feeling happy with what I had accomplished. Plus It does feel like an achievement now so that is a positive feeling :).

I have my 3 priorities (in order of importance) which I occasionally remind myself whilst working:

1. Do a good, safe job
2. Enjoy what you are doing.
3. Make some money.

I accomplished number 1, fell a little short at times on number 2 and accomplished number 3.

Last edited:
I would say I did 2 x 7 hour days (as I was doing the school run), 5 x 9 hour days and 3 x 12 hour days. So if you class a day as 8 hours then my time works out to 11.875 working days.
20-30 min break for lunch and sometimes an extra 10 minute tea break.
The 12 hour days were the last 3 (Thursday/friday/saturday) when I realised I was going to have to work today as well unless I put in some extra work. Whereas now I get to sup a cup of tea.... whilst continuing to talk about the rewire!
The last 3 hours were packing up and giving the house a thorough sweep, hoover and mopping!
[automerge]1570355401[/automerge]

I would say I find 95% of the jobs I do as an electrician satisfying. This rewire was perhaps too hard and I found myself stressed out too much of the time, but I still went home on some of the days feeling happy with what I had accomplished. Plus It does feel like an achievement now so that is a positive feeling :).

I have my 3 priorities (in order of importance) which I occasionally remind myself whilst working:

1. Do a good, safe job
2. Enjoy what you are doing.
3. Make some money.

I accomplished number 1, fell a little short at times on number 2 and accomplished number 3.
That’s the glory of self employment, all the hours are of your choosing, make em work for you, so long as you’ve earned what you need out of a job and the customers happy doesn’t matter how long it takes...

Ps.i do the school run as well and love the fact I can...

I wasn't knocking anyones work ethic with the above post, just saying that stated times in days/weeks to do jobs is misleading and can unjustly make some feel they are too slow. It is more realistic to give times in man-hours. A week of 16 hour days amounts to 2 weeks in the 8-5 world.

That’s the glory of self employment, all the hours are of your choosing, make em work for you, so long as you’ve earned what you need out of a job and the customers happy doesn’t matter how long it takes...

Ps.i do the school run as well and love the fact I can...
There is no point in being self deployed if you can't make the hours suit your lifestyle

Might as well go cards in if you want a 9-5

Completely agree, I may be knackered but it's my choice to be knackered. When I worked as a nurse I HAD to turn up on time, on set days and leave at set times, whilst being accountable to a line manager. Man the thought of that makes me cringe now. I feel free now! :) But knackered :D

In fact today (the Sunday when my boy isn't with me), would have been a 14 hour shift (as a nurse) working on a detox unit in a prison, 2 fingers up to that malarkey!!! I'll sup coffee and write to you lot instead :)

Completely agree, I may be knackered but it's my choice to be knackered. When I worked as a nurse I HAD to turn up on time, on set days and leave at set times, whilst being accountable to a line manager. Man the thought of that makes me cringe now. I feel free now! :) But knackered :D

In fact today (the Sunday when my boy isn't with me), would have been a 14 hour shift (as a nurse) working on a detox unit in a prison, 2 fingers up to that malarkey!!! I'll sup coffee and write to you lot instead :)
at least that's 1 more nurse that won't be sticking needles in me... "can't find a vein, have another stab" :):):)
[automerge]1570483005[/automerge]

at least that's 1 more nurse that won't be sticking needles in me... "can't find a vein, have another stab" :):):)
[automerge]1570483005[/automerge]

Imagine we sparks did this , smashed a hole in the wrong place , oh well , I will just keep hacking the ceiling until I find that dang cable

Reply to Just finished a rewire...... exhausted! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock