Discuss Kitchen installer expanding. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Which short course was that?

Was it the domestic installer and 18th edition courses?

How many day at college was it?

Genuinely curious not having a go.

You're welcome to have a go Pete, it's no less than I deserve (though not necessarily for the reasons you think ;))

Yes, domestic installer. I did 3 weeks. 1st week was key skills - practical skills and theory combined. Not an official qualification. 2nd week was the building regs course and the 17th edition. 3rd week level 2 inspection, test and verification. There's a 4th 'experience week' as well which I didn't do.

My overall view of the course was positive, although I think rather too intensive. I already had experience, and had been teaching myself the theory for several months prior, so managed well and got a lot out of it. If it had all been completely new to me, I'm not sure how I'd have got on.

If you have any more questions, just ask :)

Did the same thing @Pretty Mouth, spent months cramming the theory before I did the course and it was easy enough after that, it was a shame watching all the people on the course fail that had fallen for the providers spiel, many of them ex service men who had basically just blown they resettlement money.....

I should also add I was very fortunate to have sat next to one of the cleverest people I have ever met in my life, he read the regs for fun and could quote them verbatim, I’d love to meet him again and say thanks properly :)

Baddegg, yeah it definitely helped. Most of the guys seemed to be doing ok when I did the course, but there was one guy from an office background who'd believed the BS, he was really struggling. I think he only did the first week fortunately.
It’s hard to watch as well because it is so intense and obviously if you are self funding you can’t stop to help anyone....I got talking to the lecturer who basically admitted he could spot the fails after the first day.....tough old world mate

This is interesting. Do you think the short courses provided enough practical experience and hands on learning or did you have to seek some elsewhere?

This is interesting. Do you think the short courses provided enough practical experience and hands on learning or did you have to seek some elsewhere?
Hire a qualified electrician get to know them and use the same company for your upgrades
all schools do is put you in a position to learn the trade but you will learn a whole lot more. Nothing like on the job training

Last edited by a moderator:
I think for the O.P. is that every installation will be different. Some will be textbook and easy to do alterations, some will be a bodge to start with eg spurs, off spurs, off spurs where extra sockets have been required for the existing kitchen. Yhis is something that these training centres can not prepare you for.

I
I think for the O.P. is that every installation will be different. Some will be textbook and easy to do alterations, some will be a bodge to start with eg spurs, off spurs, off spurs where extra sockets have been required for the existing kitchen. Yhis is something that these training centres can not prepare you for.

Not to mention .....

.... sockets positioned directly behind appliances making them an absolute b*****d to access when carrying-out Zs and portable appliance testing, or fault-finding.

.... downlights with basic insulation showing that have been incorrectly terminated directly into a choc connectors instead of an enclosure and installed too close to joists.

.... ovens and hobs wired with incorrectly sized and inappropriate flexes

.... alterations and additions and new circuits added to kitchens without adequate bonding and RCD protection being in place.

.... no certification issued to clients upon completion of work undertaken.

This is what I more often than not discover in recently refurbished kitchens. Clearly not the work of professional electricians who know what they're doing and care about the quality of their workmanship.

I

Not to mention .....

.... sockets positioned directly behind appliances making them an absolute b*****d to access when carrying-out Zs and portable appliance testing, or fault-finding.

.... downlights with basic insulation showing that have been incorrectly terminated directly into a choc connectors instead of an enclosure and installed too close to joists.

.... ovens and hobs wired with incorrectly sized and inappropriate flexes

.... alterations and additions and new circuits added to kitchens without adequate bonding and RCD protection being in place.

.... no certification issued to clients upon completion of work undertaken.

This is what I more often than not discover in recently refurbished kitchens. Clearly not the work of professional electricians who know what they're doing and care about the quality of their workmanship.
Whilst I agree with the above I was more referring to it is hard enough for us experienced electricians sometimes to suss out the existing installation before we start an alteration yet alone someone who has been on one of these short courses. I would like to hear from someone who had been on one of these short courses how they found it straight in the deep end.

Whilst I agree with the above I was more referring to it is hard enough for us experienced electricians sometimes to suss out the existing installation before we start an alteration yet alone someone who has been on one of these short courses. I would like to hear from someone who had been on one of these short courses how they found it straight in the deep end.

I already had some electrical experience, plus many years working in construction, had educated myself to an extent, and never went straight in at the deep end, more a slow gradual, ongoing immersion. The course gives the basics but real world experience is key - the advise during the course was get experience with an experienced spark.

If people are led to believe they can go from zero to hero in the duration of the course, they'll be disappointed. That said, for me and the range of work I do, it was an adequate starting point.

Definitely food for thought guys however were not expanding per say, more looking at ways to be more efficient and offer a more rounded service. I'd love to be in a place where I could afford more staff but from a cost to benefit perspective were probably not there yet.

The point about cutting corners probably says more about some 'kitchen fitters' than the trade generally, some kitchen fitters cant fit a worktop for example, that's just not how we work. Quality first.

One thing that has sparked my interest about the short courses not offering the correct qualifications, the training providers we have spoken to are saying the complete opposite, the line they are giving us is, employee will be qualified to C&G level and all the would need would be building control or third party sign off following works.

There seems to be a disparity between the previous comments and what the training providers are saying and I'm wondering what I'm missing?

Thanks for the input guys.

Training providerd are running a business, they will tell you anything and everything they can to get your money.

As far as short courses go, would you employ a kitchen fitter who has done a few weeks training in a classroom and has no real world experience then send them out on their own without any supervision from experienced fitters to fit kitchens?
If you send your fitters on this course then they will get taught the basic theory, none of the real world practical and then when they are working they will have nobody experienced to supervise them.

The other problem is the course will only teach them how electrucs is done in the ideal world of the textbooks.
The hardest part of the electrical a work in a kitchen refit is often unpicking the existing installation and working out how to make it safe before installing the new electrics. A short course will never be able to teach you how to safely deal with the hundreds of different bodges and DIY messes you will encounter in the real world.

I’m also a late comer into electrics. I’m 47. I also didn’t take the apprentice route.

12 years ago I did the C& G 2&3 ( 3 years, 2 full days a week)

I realised 5hat wasn’t enough to start working out there on tools so...

... I did the domestic installer thinking it would give me that experience to actually do the job.
10 weeks 1 evening a week.

It was a real disappointment. If I hadn’t done the C&G prior I would have been lost. Most guys on course hadn’t and just didn’t have a clue.
No one failed. You pay your money you paid for a pass.

Course basically gave enough to do minor works but no more. Replace or add a socket or light to existing circuit and do testing with MFT.

I then spent 2 years working with sparkies I know and doing minor works. This is when I really learnt my stuff.

Then I got registered and since then I’ve done
2394, 2395, 2396, ev charger. And any free seminars available.
I actually love learning which is why I’ve been succes#ful.

3 weeks learning gets you this. Says it all really. Appleby boxes used as surface pattress boxes. Cooker switches used as an isolator to a fixed load. SWA hanging and ripping the CU part. Line hanging out of main switch. No bonding to gas or water. Allegedly he spent 3 days polishing this turd.
Kitchen installer expanding. IMG_0063 - EletriciansForums.net

I'd not employ a kitchen fitter in my home after doing a 3/5/8 week course.

Reply to Kitchen installer expanding. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock