Discuss Kitchen sink electric shocks in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Andy Ozimek

Hello guys,

Could anyone kindly help with this : when kitchen kettle goes on there seem to be some current leak to the kitchen metal sink nearby. Please can you give few directions in terms of fault finding with this, what am I looking for, steps how to check, etc.

I am a domestic installer, familiar to safe isolation, etc. but never came across something like this. Thank you all for your time!

Kindest Regards
Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not want to be picky here, but electrocution means literally "to put to death by means of electricity.."
I hope that you do not mean that!!

Does this occur with something else (eg toaster)?
Does this occur if the kettle is used on another socket?

Things that you need to do immediately.
1. check that Main Protective Bonding is in place to water and/or other services and that is is actually connected to the MET.
Test the resistance of the bond.
2. Carry out an EFLI test on the socket in question
3. Check earth and insulation resistance on the kettle

Dave, I will find the fault with help from people like Taylor. Thanks for your time anyway ��

Hello guys,

Could anyone kindly help with this : when kitchen kettle goes on there seem to be some current leak to the kitchen metal sink nearby. Please can you give few directions in terms of fault finding with this, what am I looking for, steps how to check, etc.

I am a domestic installer, familiar to safe isolation, etc. but never came across something like this. Thank you all for your time!

Kindest Regards
Andy

You will probably think I'm being a git, but should you be dealing with this? you are a trainee and as such you really ought to have an Electrician take a look at this, as it could be quite difficult to find the fault, others will say "well he will never learn if he doesn't do this work" but please as others have said get a sparkie in to look at it. nothing to stop you asking him/her if you can help out, but it's best dealt with as a matter of urgency, and if you haven't already done so get yourself access to the trainee section, you will get lots of sensible help from the Mentors, oh and good luck.

Pete, I am the only person on that section. No threads in last 100 days so unless I am looking at this thing in some retarded way, it was a very polite way of telling me to get lost.

Anyways, I will find the fault. Then I will fix it. I have PAT testing certificate, 2392 and 2395, 5 years of College of Electronics, common sense and determination to look for answers. Do not fob off newbies like me, you were one too remember? :)

Pete, I am the only person on that section. No threads in last 100 days so unless I am looking at this thing in some retarded way, it was a very polite way of telling me to get lost.

Anyways, I will find the fault. Then I will fix it. I have PAT testing certificate, 2392 and 2395, 5 years of College of Electronics, common sense and determination to look for answers. Do not fob off newbies like me, you were one too remember? :)

That's the thread which explains how to get access to the trainee section, follow the instructions there and you will get access.

Nobody is fobbing you off, just trying to make you realise that this fault has the potential to kill someone and is not a good thing for an inexperienced person to have a go at.

Hi Andy, I don't think that anyone is trying to fob you off. I just think that you may be interpreting the post the wrong way.
Its been quite a bit since I was at collage but with 5 years and your common sense I thought you would have at least tested the basics, unless you don't have the test equipment.

Hi Pete,

Thanks, where is this trainee section please?
A

What level are you at? Please apply to the TS and we will have a look.

ps.. any edited posts above are only due to title changes on each post as per DW's great idea to amend the tittle.

Last edited:
Re: I owe Paul M a pint

what about the tattle, paul?

what about the tattle, paul?

ur? were did I say that Tel? You've just made me have a look through this thread for it you ******* lol.

The title was Kitchen sink "electrocution".... A bit too much for this fault lol. DW changed it, I helped out with the rest.

PS Tel, I like the title above your last post :wink:

Last edited:

See I told you you would get the wrong end of the stick, Yes I was an Apprentice once a long long time ago, and I didn't have the benefit of a forum like this to ask question (didn't have PCs in my time) I was not trying to fob anyone off, that's the last thing I would do, all I was saying was don't walk before you can crawl.

haha. i'll buy you one next meet. the post was in response to your posting tittle instead of title.

got some greek stuff, Socrates liked it, commonly called hemlock.

Reply to Kitchen sink electric shocks in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net