Discuss Kitchen sink electric shocks in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hello guys,

Could anyone kindly help with this : when kitchen kettle goes on there seem to be some current leak to the kitchen metal sink nearby. Please can you give few directions in terms of fault finding with this, what am I looking for, steps how to check, etc.

I am a domestic installer, familiar to safe isolation, etc. but never came across something like this. Thank you all for your time!

Kindest Regards
Andy

Just going to have to check out the whole kitchen (maybe JUST the kettle, but make sure nothing else is upsetting things)

Pat Test the Kettle, (Earth Leakage test, as well)
Try other Electrical goods in the same socket
Try other sockets

Sinks in the past were earthed, im wounderin what points you are testing between Sink and ?? Live/Neutral or Earth.
Maybe im not the best for this as im guessing too much.

hence the saying at the bar..... "what's your poison?"

Hello guys,

Could anyone kindly help with this : when kitchen kettle goes on there seem to be some current leak to the kitchen metal sink nearby. Please can you give few directions in terms of fault finding with this, what am I looking for, steps how to check, etc.

I am a domestic installer, familiar to safe isolation, etc. but never came across something like this. Thank you all for your time!

Kindest Regards
Andy

By Marconi Dear Mr Ozimek, I have read the posts following yours and so am commenting after much wisdom has been offered for free by several electricians including those recognised as 'Trusted'. I write this post just to help you if in the future you write another.

First the presumption is that forum members are there to help and by and large do generously. It would be hard to tap into such a wealth of knowledge, experience and wisdom without this type of website. But to start of well it behoves the starter of a post, be he trainee or seasoned sparks, to provide as much background and description as he can and is necessary for readers to understand what the situation is, what the problem is, what you have done and tested already and what further advice you are asking for.

So, taking your post here are some points you might have included:

- Is the kitchen domestic, commercial or industrial (- we assume a domestic one because you describe yourself as a domestic installer).
- When the shock had been felt and by who what was he/she doing? eg: He touched the kettle with one hand and the sink with the other; he just touched the sink; the shock is sustained or akin to the shock of a discharge of static electricity. The fault has been present for some time or just become manifest. What kind of flooring in the kitchen? On the ground floor or nth floor.
- The kettle is new or old. I have tested its insulation resistance, L-N continuity and cpc continuity. The readings were...
- I measured the voltage between the sink and the Main Earth terminal with the kettle off and then when on. The reading was...
- The Distribution Board uses fuses, MCBs, RCBOs, RCDs...
- The socket the kettle is plugged into is connected to a final ring circuit, a radial circuit, a cooker switch with socket. I have examined its connections and found.... I have tested the circuit at the DB for IR, continuity,... the readings were ....
- The Earth system is TT, TNC-S, TNS
- Equipotential bonding has been observed and tested for gas, water, other?
- In the kitchen there is a washer, dryer, microwave.....

First thing i'd do on this one is find out the earthing arrangment TT TNS TNCS etc as what you have described could well be due to an underlying fault on the incomming supply , especially if its a TNCS , if you get a neutral fault on the incomming supply with a tncs system then you will more than likley get shock off the bonded metal work so start off at the incommer check the the incomming supply is ok , some neutral faults may not show up unless under load , hence the reason it happens when the kettles on , I may be wrong but start and the supply and work forwards and end up at the kettle tester out

Just move the kettle away from the sink, job done bill them £250, go to pub and have a beer, all good.

No, no, no..... First thing first! Stick the kettle on, do some tests on the sink, once its boiled turn off the power and make a brew. Then continue with the tests lol.

Reply to Kitchen sink electric shocks in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net