Discuss laser level for downlights in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

ExArmy

-
Reaction score
just had a job fitting 24 downlights in 3 rooms, For it I purchased a Bosch GLL2 laser level and tripod from ebay for £140 and I had 3 rooms marked out in under 15 minutes. previously i have spent upto and hour(2 hoursif the rooms out of square alot..) with string lines, levels, and eying them in etc, so 15 miutes was flying!
it's very simple, just measure the distances and mark them on the walls at the top, then sit the laser on the tripod and tilt it up to put a line across the ceiling, then simply measure along the line and mark the lights. you can then just hold the laser and put a line across the marks to check the are lined up.
and also i'm sure it will come in useful for 1st fix for setting socket and switch heights. will defo pay for itself quickly, would reccomend to anybody!

very useful tool till you get the spreads slopping their crap all over it.

Wish I'd found this thread earlier! I've had 35 DLs in 4 rooms and landings to do, and had to deal with a fair amount of 'weirdness' in joist positions. I bet about 25-30% of total installation time was figuring out a layout plan that worked with room shapes and joists. Ended up using string, after failing to get me standard laser level to work well 'on its back'.

If this Bosch GLL2 does as good a job on ceilings as you say it would have paid for itself with just this one job.

Last edited by a moderator:
£45 for the tripod, not too bad i thought considering it's built for the job. it looks pretty sturdy, height is easily adjustable via a wind up handle and you can tilt the level up towards the ceiling (the all important feature!)
i used it again today to line up 4 wall lights, why bother using a tape measure anymore?! it's defo my favorite tool of the moment, closely followed by the fein multimaster

I did look at the bosch when I got mine but my boss had the pls one as the suspended cieling guys use this one at the time the bosch was the same price , I see it's come down a fair bit now! Couldnt work without the
laser now tho!

ill take a laser over a chalk line anyday, purchased the dewlat one. and cant fault it. absolutely love it. and at well under £100 hardly breaking the bank for something so usefull. as said above, has paid for itself many times over.

Can you guys tell me over what sort of room size these lasers can project the lines on the ceiling? Having only so far used string and a tape measure I'm interested to know how the laser works. Do you get two lines at right angles to each other on the ceiling - and would it cope with a room of - say - 4 x 5 metres? I'm guessing, for example, if the job is 2 rows of 3 DLs, you can set up centre line of first row with one laser line, then move the cross three times to pick up each pair.

My boss used to buy the cheap £25 unbranded ones ok for a couple of kitchens then they would fall apart had mine the same as op for alot longer still spot on

Can you guys tell me over what sort of room size these lasers can project the lines on the ceiling? Having only so far used string and a tape measure I'm interested to know how the laser works. Do you get two lines at right angles to each other on the ceiling - and would it cope with a room of - say - 4 x 5 metres? I'm guessing, for example, if the job is 2 rows of 3 DLs, you can set up centre line of first row with one laser line, then move the cross three times to pick up each pair.

I think I've done a row of 12 before each measured roughly just over a meter apart before and it coped fine! Think i read in the spec of mine it will do about 30m to a visible point but will do well over that if used with a reciever

Robbed off their website! But it goes pretty far in daylight ( assuming the battery's are ok!)

PLS180 SPECIFICATIONS:

Accuracy: +/- 1/8 inch @ 30 Feet (+/- 3mm @ 10 meters)
Working Range: +/- 200 Feet (61 meters) w/ SLD Detector
Weight: 1.7lbs (.77kg.)
Power Supply: 3 "AA" Batteries
Dimensions: 2" x 2 7/8" x 3 3/8"
Fan Angle 180 Degrees
Self Leveling Range: 6 Degrees
Operating Time: +35 Hrs
Multiple Functions
Class II Laser Product

On hobuk dot com it says it will travel for 30m inside!

i just bought the dewalt crossline one £180... but untill you miss the joists of first line no sense using it, but for sockets where its going to be tiled etc its the job...

i just bought the dewalt crossline one £180... but untill you miss the joists of first line no sense using it, but for sockets where its going to be tiled etc its the job...

Always use it when doing kitchens, stand out the way you can see the laser is on the bottom of every box. No more well I think it's about right lol.

I've just bought a leica lino l2+ for 197 quid inc vat to replace my 7 year old hilti pml which gave up the ghost last week.wouldnt be without one now.quite impressed with the Leica it's line is bright and clear.have used a few different manufacturers of these babies and find you do get what you pay for IMO .i find a pole better than a tripod for electrical work anyway.crossline lasers are better for our line of work rather than dots or rotary I find.

well, not to be out done here. i've just filled my chalk line with RED chalk. so there!!!!!

Reply to laser level for downlights in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock