Discuss lathe and plaster and downlights!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J.C.E

-
Arms
Reaction score
Any tips on cutting 76mm holes (20+) for LED downlights in L+P ceilings??

brand new 76mm yellow starrett cutter and 36v drill.....barely scratched the surface on ONE hole and the teeth are already near blunt!

cheers guys

managed 12 on lathe and plaster boarded up with plasterboard. just a standard holesaw and a beefy mains drill. had to cool the holesaw in a bucket of water after each hole. plus lots of swearing! holesaw was knackered after the job.

I have only done it a few times but has success with the Bosch progressor hole cutters on a 36v drill. It's never great though and personally I'd turn the job down in the future unless they reboard.

sinking boxes is easy, cut the wall with multicutter, either fit the box on exposed wood structure underneath or make a bigger hole and fix some wood in there and box into it . board up with a piece of plasterboard, make good with easifill, job done.

What a bunch of pusseys. Half the ceilings round here are L&P. You have to worry when half of it falls down never mind making a decent hole. I have done loads with a cheapo screwfix holesaw, you just have to do it slow and steady, then speed it up once you have gone through the plaster to take out the laths. The worst bit is all the stuff above in an ageing, sh**ty loft full of pigeon poo.
Don't know what it is but some of them give off a strangely attractive odour when you are drilling them.

I have done a good few with no probs. Always used the Bosch holesaw. I sometimes find it harder to cut out for sockets in L&P without any issues, but ceilings have always been fine. I find the laths can vibrate to hell when doing sockets.

Must be a special mix of super tough plaster you have there!

Last edited:
Had this before with tougher plaster than normal, was almost like a concrete skim. used the holesaw to mark the circle then used a 6mm drill to make a series of holes right round the circle then followed through with the holesaw

Have done a lot of down lights in lathe and plaster.
Going slow with a hole saw is the best way. Or cut out the plaster first with a padsaw, then get the hole saw on the lathes.
When I was an apprentice we cut them in all by hand no matter what the ceiling was made of...
Just aim smaller than you need as it will get bigger lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have to have an investigation of the ceiling before you start , If there are large areas of 'noisy as you tap ', you have a mountain to climb.

Reply to lathe and plaster and downlights!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net