Discuss LED Dimming unbalanced, bulbs flicker and pulse in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Evening guys!

I have three of these bulbs on a ceiling light, controlled by a dimmer switch installed by an electrician:

Unfortunately there are a number of issues:

- For 8/10’ths of the range of the dimmer from low to high, the lights are all on but extremely dimly.

- Around 8/10ths, the bulbs very briefly, very slightly dim even further.

- 9/10ths to 10/10ths of the throw, the bulbs rapidly light through what I assume is their full range of brightness.

- At all levels of brightness, the bulbs flicker and pulse very obviously, making them hard to comfortably eat dinner underneath.

I appreciate this could be the bulbs, switch, both or something else so I’d really appreciate any help you can provide as to how to diagnose/resolve!

If useful to provide the switch I have, I’ll take it out and find the part number.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Those lamps have a built in dimming mechanism, they are not designed to be driven by a dimmer.

If you read the product description it states quite clearly that the brightness is selected by repeated operation of the switch.

On that basis, it's possible the action of altering the mains waveform (done by the dimmer switch to control the brightness) is triggering the internal dimmer.

Either change the lamps to dimmable ones and check the dimmer switch you have is designed to drive dimmable LED lamps (I personally recommend the Varilight vPro dimmer modules) or change the dimmer switch to a simple on/off switch and rely on the internal dimmer to provide three different light levels.

Those lamps have a built in dimming mechanism, they are not designed to be driven by a dimmer.

If you read the product description it states quite clearly that the brightness is selected by repeated operation of the switch.

On that basis, it's possible the action of altering the mains waveform (done by the dimmer switch to control the brightness) is triggering the internal dimmer.

Either change the lamps to dimmable ones and check the dimmer switch you have is designed to drive dimmable LED lamps (I personally recommend the Varilight vPro dimmer modules) or change the dimmer switch to a simple on/off switch and rely on the internal dimmer to provide three different light levels.
Turns out I’m the dim one!!

Thank you so much, I’ve taken your advice and replaced the bulbs, and everything works perfectly.

Thanks again!

Turns out I’m the dim one!!

Thank you so much, I’ve taken your advice and replaced the bulbs, and everything works perfectly.

Thanks again!

You're welcome.

To be fair... I've never seen a lamp with an internal dimmer, so I would probably have been wondering what was going on if I'd been in your shoes :)

Evening guys!

I have three of these bulbs on a ceiling light, controlled by a dimmer switch installed by an electrician:

Unfortunately there are a number of issues:

- For 8/10’ths of the range of the dimmer from low to high, the lights are all on but extremely dimly.

- Around 8/10ths, the bulbs very briefly, very slightly dim even further.

- 9/10ths to 10/10ths of the throw, the bulbs rapidly light through what I assume is their full range of brightness.

- At all levels of brightness, the bulbs flicker and pulse very obviously, making them hard to comfortably eat dinner underneath.

I appreciate this could be the bulbs, switch, both or something else so I’d really appreciate any help you can provide as to how to diagnose/resolve!

If useful to provide the switch I have, I’ll take it out and find the part number.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
I have this problem with some non-dimmable LED GU10s in my kitchen (switched from a non-dimming switch) which pulse annoyingly (and varyingly, for no apparent reason).

I have this problem with some non-dimmable LED GU10s in my kitchen (switched from a non-dimming switch) which pulse annoyingly (and varyingly, for no apparent reason).
When they are switched on or switched off?

It is very common to hear of LED lamps flashing and pulsing when they are switched off.

It is very common to hear of LED lamps flashing and pulsing when they are switched off.
Wow - they are just riddled with problems, aren't they! I've never experienced it, so perhaps I should count myself lucky. Thanks.

Reply to LED Dimming unbalanced, bulbs flicker and pulse in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock