Discuss LED DRIVERS in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
In the past have bought cheap led recessed fittings as per photo attached. As you can see they come with an led driver. They are v cheap and I
have been pleased with most I have bought. So I decided to look at upmarket ones. V-TAC, whose gear I think is good do some but they cost at least three times as much and then you need to factor in a driver as well which costs nearly as much as the fitting.
Now my question is not about cost but about the specs of the drivers.
In front of me I have a driver off a cheap 12W unit. It is marked as follows

INPUT AC 85-265V 50/60HZ
OUTPUT DC 24-80V 280mA
MAX 12W

Now the V-TAC one for a similar 12W fitting is marked
O/P 24-45v DC 300mA 12W

So in the case of the V-TAC one I can see 45V @300mA is a tad over 12W
The cheaper one though looks to be able to do over 22W so am confused by noted as 12W max.

What I am trying to get around to is can I use dirt cheap drivers with the V-TAC units as long as rated at correct wattage?
i am at a loss understanding drivers for leds in general, which you might have noted.
led.jpg

Reply to LED DRIVERS in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all, No electronic knowledge here. The plug/transformer of a led lightstring is fried. Now I am trying to find a replacement on Aliexpress...
Replies
Views
Hello, I’ve have some ten year old Collingwood SL020 RGB led garden spike lights which I’d like to keep using but wondering if I can use them with...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Great forum with lots of advice read and greatly received over the years! I have a question here that I am hopeful somebody here can...
Replies
Views
I purchased a house that has a really cool 12v halogen setup where two wires are suspended across the ceiling in two different locations, and each...
Replies
Views
We are in the process of renovating our house, and would like to setup led strip-lighting throughout. of the options, this seems most attractive...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock