Discuss LED floodlight with PIR and ability to override... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mnbf9rca

Hi,

i hope you knowledgeable folks can help!

i'm looking for an LED floodlight with a PIR, but with the ability to "override" it with another feed switched inside (wired with 3+E), so that when i'm sitting outside i don't need to keep waving my arms about to keep the light on.

the Steinel XLed appear to have a terminal "L1" for switching a secondary load:
http://www.steinel.de/data/de/bedienungsanleitungen/110015537_XLed_10-25_3.pdf

but they're £180+ each... i was hoping for something cheaper.

any ideas?

cheers
rob

Some PIR fittings have the ability to override by switching power off and back on fairly rapidly. This means you don't need two 'feeds' to the same light, it does however mean that the single 'feed' going to it must run through a switch.

i generally use a 3 core with the override feed going to L1, or Lout. with a separate override switch. find this is easier for the customer than all this OFF/ON/OFF/ON malarky

@marvo - thanks for the reply. i want to leave them on in "sensor mode" all the time, but be able to force them on when i need it, without remembering which way i've set the switch when i've had a few beers and head back inside...

@telectrix - that's it! do you know which make/model you use? my local wholesaler only has ones with 3 terminals (LNE), no L1, and as i say, the only ones i can find are the steinels, and they're expensive.

if you look in the terminal block of any PIR flood, you will see that 1 end of the lamp goes to N of supply, and the other end of the lamp goes to the sw L from the PIR. that's where you connect your override L. for the cost involved, i would not entertain LED flood. a halogen or cfl is far cheaper. personally o use halogen , as they are generally only on for short periods and the lamps are cheap.

Last edited:
ahh ok! i've never examined one in that detail, just opened, fitted and closed, but i can imagine exactly what you mean. i'll get down there later this week so i'll get the guys at the wholesaler to open one up for me to double check but i'm sure it'll be fine.

thanks for the help.

Reply to LED floodlight with PIR and ability to override... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net