Discuss Led street lights tripping mcb in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

cliffed

-
Arms
Reaction score
Just had a quick look at a job,intermittent tripping of 10 amp mcb,retrofit led replacing discharge lighting,some time ago.
There are 7 street lights,couldn’t real do too much investigation,rain stopped play.
Did a IR test proved to be satisfactory,just wondering if any of you guys
Had any thoughts.

Yea thinking that too,not too much information on wattage,but the other lamp posts another 7 are exactly the same & pose no problems.

I suspect it's in-rush current from the drivers in the LEDs. If Zs is OK, you may be able to change the MCB to a Type C which may be able to handle it.
Good chance.....but 'some time ago' may have some bearing.
Presumably it's been OK for that long.

Last edited:
Just had a quick look at a job,intermittent tripping of 10 amp mcb,retrofit led replacing discharge lighting,some time ago.
There are 7 street lights,couldn’t real do too much investigation,rain stopped play.
Did a IR test proved to be satisfactory,just wondering if any of you guys
Had any thoughts.

Water maybe , depending maybe if they are linked?

Could literally be something as simple as a knackered MCB.

Any pattern to the tripping? Or just random?

Inrush, Water, MCB.

What’s the location of this? I once had a mystery street light tripping on a Caravan Park. Turned out to be Mr.Smith turning it off himself as it was disturbing his sleep been located straight outside his bedroom window.

It’s been monitored by local council,there’s no set pattern,but once a week apparently.
Thinking in rush,but there are other lights exactly the same,these are ok.

Just a couple of thoughts I've had about this...

As I understand it, in-rush is it's cycle dependent.

If by chance the lights are turned on at exactly the peak of the cycle, the in-rush current is likely to be huge due to the large potential difference, where as if the lights are turned on at the zero crossing point, the in-rush will be practically non-existent as the potential difference that drives the current will be zero.

If they are contactor controlled, could it be a result of intermittent contact bounce? If the contacts don't settle quickly you could be getting a few spikes in current consumption which may be enough to push the MCB over the edge.

Try get more info off the customer about whether the tripping is immediate as the lights come on. It could be inrush current but usually that would be a problem from day one. I'd do all the usual dead tests and visually inspect all lights on the circuit for signs of terminations overheating/burning, also insect infestations, signs of water ingress etc before replacing the MCB with a slower curve alternative.

Wonder what's causing the 2.5M IR? What was that measured between?

Reply to Led street lights tripping mcb in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock