Discuss LED strip battens for a photography studio in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

You can get dimmers for dimmable LEDs.
Not sure though whether domestic LEDs will be suitable for photography.
With video they appear to flicker.

The flicker on video is usually caused by the camera (or the operator) choosing an odd shutter speed for the frequency of the lights.

For the OP's customer, the lights flickering might prove a problem at higher shutter speeds for stills as you might not get the full brightness of the lights when the shutter opens. If the lights have high frequency ballasts/electronics this should be much less of a problem.

I think he'd be better off with some flashes and a remote trigger though.

http://www.yongnuo.eu if money is tight, branded if it isn't.

The flicker on video is usually caused by the camera (or the operator) choosing an odd shutter speed for the frequency of the lights.

For the OP's customer, the lights flickering might prove a problem at higher shutter speeds for stills as you might not get the full brightness of the lights when the shutter opens. If the lights have high frequency ballasts/electronics this should be much less of a problem.

I think he'd be better off with some flashes and a remote trigger though.

http://www.yongnuo.eu if money is tight, branded if it isn't.

Jim , the proposed lights are to be LED , but I wonder how they will perform too.

Is he using the LED lights for the shoots or using them for setting up? Flicker can be eliminated by using neutral density filters and extending the exposure time.

Colour balance isn’t so easy, I used multiple 600K “daylight” balanced incandescent lamps. I don’t know if you can get 600K LED’s but watch out for colour shift using a dimmer. A conventional dimmer on incandescent lamps alters the colour shift and so I didn’t use dimmers. By moving the lamps nearer to or further away gives the exposure control.

Using power controllable 1.25kJ studio units was far easier, the xenon tubes gave constant colour rendition. (I will say this, these units are bloody dangerous if you mess around with them. 1.25kJ in 1/250th of a second = 400A @660V DC and will kill).

Whatever he does he will need a good light meter and use his camera in manual if he wants to produce good (and saleable) photographs.

Reply to LED strip battens for a photography studio in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock