Discuss LED Strip Light PIR Dimming in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
currently I have LED tape inside a duffuser running up the length of my stairs controlled by two standalone PIR sensors (one top, one bottom)

I also have the PIR’s wired to a timer which only gives it power certain times in a day.

so basically I want to be able to dim the LED tape as its currently too bright so my question is can I add in a LED dimmer switch to do this at the same time having the PIR do all the switching so really is it possible to leave a dimmer switch in the “ON” position at the desired dimming level.

How are your PIRs wired, are they controlling the input or the output of the LED driver?
Is the LED driver dimmable and does it have a dimming option built in IE independent dimming connections?
Are the PIR's using volt free relays to control the power?

the PIR’s are controlling the output of the driver and yes the LED driver is dimmable and there’s no volt free relays. The PIR’s are wired in parallel with each other.

just need to know if once there’s no power going to a dimmer switch once power is switched off can it remain in the “ON” position when power is restored.

Last edited:
I'm a tad confused here to how it is wired can you do a little schematic? Also what are you using to dim this driver?

My first concern as you say you are not using PIR's with volt free contacts is you are effectively going to be choking the power supply required to operate the PIR as you say they are on the load side, you may need to swap them out for relay based PIRs and power them from the supply downstream of the dimmer module, it doesn't matter then what happens with the switching side its controls.

sorry just to clear something up...the LED tape is dimmable but its on a standard driver at the moment so it can be changed over to dimmable driver.

I have two of the above PIR’s one top and one bottom of the stairs currently controlling the LED tape.

My current setup is that I have this plug-in timer which is giving the PIR power and I then have a 3 core & cpc going from one PIR to the other wired in parallel.

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/maste...VeIBQBh0ZqQUdEAQYAiABEgLdn_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Reply to LED Strip Light PIR Dimming in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net