Discuss Led tape lights: 24V vs 12V, triac vs magnetic? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

wraiththe

DIY
Reaction score
HI,
My project involves installing under-cabinet lights. Wiring is there and waiting.

Have any of you seen differences, gains, sacrifices by using 12v or 24v tape lights.... or Triac vs Magnetic dimmers?

Have you had any difficulty with dimmer switches with either? (not looking for Zwave or wifi stuff... just dimmers)

I was thinking of 24 V because it is supposed to have better consistency with the voltages and brightness...
I would like to try the tape lights in the picture attached: ( OB LED Strip Light, DC 24V CRI 90 LED) and skip the diffuser channels.
My main goal is to make the tile I installed pop with color which means higher CRI warm lighting, and want consistent lighting.
I also cannot afford to do trial and error and am not sure if I am asking all the right questions.

Materials:
Dimmer switch
driver,
@ 25' of low voltage wire tot.
@ 2.6m of tape lights tot.

Runs:
1) Dimmer switch to Driver directly above cabinet

2) Driver to below cabinet for 30" of light

3) Driver to over ceiling, to below cabinet for 3 cabinets and 1 span of cable over microwave.

24V have only found magnetic drivers for 24V and supposedly the selection for compatible dimmer switches is more limited? Especially if you want custom colors and to match the other switches in a 4 gang.

12 V offers a huge variety of LED tape lights where there are a lot of diodes per inch... These have more triac and magnetic driver options that I have found.

Attachments

• COB light.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 1

Reply to Led tape lights: 24V vs 12V, triac vs magnetic? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net