Discuss LEDlite. Any good? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HandySparks

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a couple of jobs to quote for, to install/replace downlights. I'm thinking of offering LEDlites which only seem to be supplied by TLC (they're local to me). The price seems good (£30+vat) for a 10W LED alternative to GU10 fittings. They're IP66, fire rated, dimmable and an emergency version is available. There are loads of options: three colour temperatures, replacement lenses for different beam angles and a choice of bezel finishes.

Has anyone used these? Are they brighter than a typical GU10 (as they say). How do they compare with, say, Halers? Ease of terminating and fitting? Which dimmers have you used? Any info welcome.

I think a link will be blocked, but tlc-direct.co.uk / sales / lighting internal / downlights / LED downlights / Ledlite. Or typical part no. LT FRD12WW.

Edit; Since this site appears to be accepting links to TLC now, here's the link:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...Bathrooms_Index/LEDlite_Downlights/index.html

Last edited:
Would also be interested in reviews should I ever need dimmable LED downlighters (JCC in my opinion is the best hands down but the dimmable versions are a tad pricier in comparison), the compatibility and options aspect also sounds interesting

Apologies in advance chaps; I wouldn't normally "bump" a thread, but I posted this this morning and the forum's a lot busier at this time of day.
Anyone ever used these?

I put one of these in a rewire I just done, put it above stairs for due
To the lack of maintenance needed compared to halogen gu10's, very solid build quality, they come pre wired so just need to jb to mains cables, and the interchangeable bezels meant I could fit it up and leave the bezel ooff until decorators had finished, I put in a warm white so as to be as close tto the colour of the halogens elsewhere in the house which was ok but did seem a bit yellowish, the brightness was excellent, in fact I think it was 11W which is brighter than a
50w halogen, I also put 4 IP65 downlights in the bathroom, which is in the mmiddle of the house with no natural daylight, and retro fitted the led lite 4.9W LED GU10's and this time went for cool white, and can report that these lamps are ssome of the brightest retro fit GU10's that I have used, at £15 a pop they might work out cheaper using these and a standard downlights rather than the haulers style unit, although as said @ 11 and 4.9W respectively depends how bright you want to go an how much spread of light you need, the hackers style spread the light well whilst the GU10 replacement are a very focused beam

Apologies in advance chaps; I wouldn't normally "bump" a thread, but I posted this this morning and the forum's a lot busier at this time of day.
Anyone ever used these?

I have these lamps in my house. I've tried all three whites. The 'day light white' is quite clinical, very pure white. The 'warm white' is similar to a normal GU10 but perhaps not as quite warm, quite subjective though. The 'neutral white' is somewhere in between. In terms of brightness (I know there's a more technical term, but for your clients), I don't think they offer the same as an equivalent GU10. However, for me replacing GU10 with these low energy lamps is a no brainer. I would just advice putting slightly more fittings in than you would do with a standard lamp. They are also dimmable (to about 40% of full power), you have to use the LEDlite low wattage range, there is a grid style as well.

These are the ones I have, just so there's no confusion: LEDlite LED Dimmable GU10

If you are unsure of what colour to advise you client, perhaps get all three to demonstrate.

Thanks, Midwest. I'm looking at the the complete fittings (rather than GU10 fit lamp) which I think are a recent addition to the range. I've added a link to my original post. Probably similar light to yours but twice the power, so could well be comperable output to 50W GU10.

And yes, I'm thinking that I might shell out and buy one of each light colour and make up a demo board. Expensive, but I'm thinking that customers would find it a help in deciding what to go for (as long as they get me to fit them!).

Hmmm interesting. Quite expensive though, you might be hard pushed to get some customers to shell out for them. I think a demo board is quite a good idea. I see that the test report gives 'Flux (lumens): 628.8 lumens' whereas my lamps are shown as 310, if the results are comparable?

Not used those fitting but I have installed the following:

Toolstation > Lighting > LED Downlights

These ones from Toolstation are IP rated but not fire rated so a bit of a pain using them downstairs.
Had to fit fire hoods over them which I haven't used for a long time as most of the usual lights are fire rated. Anyway, these are coolwhite and very bright at 410Lm. I fitted 13 into a large kitchen area and they were remarkably bright. A pain not being Fire rated. There is a fire rated one but the Lumens value was only 190.

Aurora - 'Passionate about Lighting'

These are Aurora and they are dimmable, IP and Fire rated. The ones we put in were warm white and did not seem as bright as the ones from toolstation, but that could have been because they were warm white instead of cool white. 7 years warranty direct with Aurora.

Generally the greater the Lumens the brighter the light, also check the beam angle info.

Hope this helps

Reply to LEDlite. Any good? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock