Discuss LEDs and stained glass in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

davesparks

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I'm in the process of quoting to illuminate a bit of listed stained glass and am looking at LED options. One concern is what effect the LED may have on the glass in the long term, will it affect the pigmentation at all?
White LEDs affect regular theatrical colour filters at a surprising rate, especially blue filters and this glass just happens to be blue.

I'm wondering if there would be any advantage in lighting it indirectly using a reflector to bounce the light onto the glass rather than directly lighting it? I'm effectively going to be building light boxes behind the glass so could easily achieve this.

You could place an ultraviolet protective screen on your light box. As I understand it, the UV light emitted is what destroys the pigment.
If that is not the problem, a diffuser would reduce the intensity.
Cheers
B

Reply to LEDs and stained glass in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi I'm looking for a lighting system which will illuminate a wall which faces onto a dimly lit corridor and has artwork on it. The length of the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm not an electrician so I need help! I thought this would be a fairly straightforward job but there's so many options, I don't know...
Replies
Views
Plan is to illuminate a bunch of impressive trees (including a few Californian Redwoods!) in a garden. Client wants to be able to change the...
Replies
Views
D
We have an issue with some 30w LED floods we installed as uplighters. This was a bit of a rush job without a proper spec. The users are...
Replies
Views
Adam W
A
P
Hi Guys I'm completely sold on the financial and technical advantages of LED interior downlights over halogens but I need convincing about...
Replies
Views
DuaneMHunt1976
D

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock